Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 15 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 359
Like Tree148Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Who is To Blame for giant phones?

    Who do I have to blame for the lack of powerful smart phones under 5 inches? I have been fighting day and night from the little voice in the back of my head saying: "Get an iPhone". I love Android, I will be the first to admit, hell, I went through high school and now into college with an Android phone.


    But in all that time, I always had an all around good device, I can't ever say I ever had an awful smartphone. But in all that time, the biggest smartphone I ever owned is the Moto X. And now that I am back on my RAZR M I realize now besides the Moto X there is absolutely zero widespread availability of a smartphone in the 4-4.7 range.

    Why is that? Why is the smaller handset market getting ignored? Why do we have to settle for middle the road devices like the S5 mini or the One Mini 2? Why can't I have a phone just like the G3 in a smaller package?

    And no, the answer is not "There is no demand for it", there is demand for it, they just haven't attempted it yet. How many people buy iPhones? How many of those people might have been swayed by a flagship Android device of the same size? I know I would have.

    Why do I have to settle in saving up money to get a year old Moto X? Android has gained a lot in the past year, but I hope they don't lose people like me to other OS's.

    Who do I blame for this injustice? OEMs? Carriers? Consumers?
    Thanked by:
    zedorda, nikkisharif and Vee_G like this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Who is To Blame?

    Blame FEMALES and SOCIAL MEDIA. LOL
    nikkisharif and cpaight like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Who is To Blame?

    Quote Originally Posted by spencerdl View Post
    Blame FEMALES and SOCIAL MEDIA. LOL
    Females? Social Media? These are small influential factors.

    Posted via the Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Who is To Blame?

    Well, at least the Galaxy Alpha isn't a phablet:

    http://www.phonearena.com/phones/com...es/7885%2C8618


    At least Samsung figured out a powerful device on this range is worth it.

    Posted via the Android Central App
    nikkisharif likes this.
  5. #5  
    Assassin Droid's Avatar
    Assassin Droid

    Posts
    7,669 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,715 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Who is To Blame?

    I'd imagine that there are size constraints in the technology, whether it be the physical space that the components take up or the scaling of cost of higher resolution displays in a smaller form factor, etc.

    That being said, are you looking for a specific screen size or a form factor size? For example, in another thread I showed that a 5" screen could fit in a device barely bigger than a Moto X. Also, the 5.0 HTC One M8, 5.5 LG G3 and 5.1" Galaxy S5 are all very similar form factors. The Note II and LG G3 are the same size screen, but the LG G3 is significantly smaller (in height, length, thickness and weight).

    A +/- 1/2" distance change without changing form factor (much) means a 4.0" and 5.0" device could be in a very similar body and that makes me wonder if we want small devices with the largest screen possible or if it's screen size that's wanted (for touching everything on the screen, for example) and then we want to minimize the footprint of that.

    Another example is the Moto X at 4.7" is physically smaller than the Samsung Galaxy Alpha with a 4.7" screen, the HTC One (by A LOT) which was 4.7", the Droid Razr Maxx HD at 4.7" and it's quite a bit smaller than the Galaxy Nexus which was 4.65" (both thinner and shorter). Its also smaller than the Samsung Epic 4G Touch, which had a 4.5" screen.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Who is To Blame?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Spock View Post
    I'd imagine that there are size constraints in the technology, whether it be the physical space that the components take up or the scaling of cost of higher resolution displays in a smaller form factor, etc.

    That being said, are you looking for a specific screen size or a form factor size? For example, in another thread I showed that a 5" screen could fit in a device barely bigger than a Moto X. Also, the 5.0 HTC One M8, 5.5 LG G3 and 5.1" Galaxy S5 are all very similar form factors. The Note II and LG G3 are the same size screen, but the LG G3 is significantly smaller (in height, length, thickness and weight).

    A +/- 1/2" distance change without changing form factor (much) means a 4.0" and 5.0" device could be in a very similar body and that makes me wonder if we want small devices with the largest screen possible or if it's screen size that's wanted (for touching everything on the screen, for example) and then we want to minimize the footprint of that.

    Another example is the Moto X at 4.7" is physically smaller than the Samsung Galaxy Alpha with a 4.7" screen, the HTC One (by A LOT) which was 4.7", the Droid Razr Maxx HD at 4.7" and it's quite a bit smaller than the Galaxy Nexus which was 4.65" (both thinner and shorter). Its also smaller than the Samsung Epic 4G Touch, which had a 4.5" screen.
    I guess I should I have been more clear, I am looking for a better form factor and screen size. The Moto X had a 4.7 inch screen yet was slightly bigger than an iPhone. Not only that, it wasn't thick. That is what makes it such a great form factor.

    The tech itself, I fins it hard to believe has size constraints, I mean the iPhone 5s has one of the most powerful GPUs in smart phones yet is so thin and small, I think this is a conscious decisions on part of the manufacturers to go with the "Big and powerful" adage when that is the least most attractive thing about smartphones that aren't an iPhone now.

    Posted via the Android Central App
  7. #7  
    JulesJam's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts

    Default Re: Who is To Blame for giant phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    Who do I have to blame for the lack of powerful smart phones under 5 inches?
    me and all the other people who buy large phones because we like a large screen we can actually read.
    Thanked by 2:
    rmeigs and BobLobIaw like this.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Who is To Blame for giant phones?

    They make big phones because that's where the majority of the market is, and that means money
    Do I think there's a market for smaller phones with the same power as their bigger counterparts? Yes I do, but there's less money to be made there
    I'm thinking that the companies would rather make one phone to satisfy 80% of the market, then make two phones to try to satisfy that last 20% that won't get a huge phone

    Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5
    BobLobIaw likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Who is To Blame for giant phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by JulesJam View Post
    me and all the other people who buy large phones because we like a large screen we can actually read.
    Actually read? I don't think that is an answer. There were smaller phones before the Note.

    Posted via the Android Central App
  10. #10  
    JulesJam's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts

    Default Re: Who is To Blame for giant phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    Actually read? I don't think that is an answer. There were smaller phones before the Note.
    I can't read any of those screens. If you were blessed with great eyes, that's great. Lots of us weren't.
    UkBusa likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Who is To Blame for giant phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by codyoehl View Post
    They make big phones because that's where the majority of the market is, and that means money
    Do I think there's a market for smaller phones with the same power as their bigger counterparts? Yes I do, but there's less money to be made there
    I'm thinking that the companies would rather make one phone to satisfy 80% of the market, then make two phones to try to satisfy that last 20% that won't get a huge phone

    Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5
    That isn't true at all, again explain why the iPhone despite size has power and still is small? You and both know this goes along the lines of planned obsolescence. They make bigger phones, consumer have no choice to buy bigger phones that run Android. They also run on "Bigger is better" when that is not the case.

    Posted via the Android Central App
  12. #12  

    Default

    The iPhone is small, because there is a market for it and iPhone users are used to it and besides
    Why is apple about to make a 4.7 inch and 5.5 inch iPhone 6? Because that's where the money is!

    Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5
  13. #13  
    Vee_G's Avatar

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

    Default Re: Who is To Blame for giant phones?

    Well I, for one, am holding on to my S3 phone for dear life because I refuse to get myself a 5" phone. I will hold on to this phone and wait for something that is 4.5-4.7

    Posted via Android Central App
    Just my $0.02 - read it, take it or leave it.
    nikkisharif and A895 like this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Who is To Blame for giant phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vee_G View Post
    Well I, for one, am holding on to my S3 phone for dear life because I refuse to get myself a 5" phone. I will hold on to this phone and wait for something that is 4.5-4.7

    Posted via Android Central App
    Have you looked at the Moto x?

    Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5
  15. #15  
    Fried Rice Mofo's Avatar

    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    629 Global Posts
    ROM
    Myn's Two point Two Rls 5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    That isn't true at all, again explain why the iPhone despite size has power and still is small? You and both know this goes along the lines of planned obsolescence. They make bigger phones, consumer have no choice to buy bigger phones that run Android. They also run on "Bigger is better" when that is not the case.

    Posted via the Android Central App
    IPhones don't have the latest and greatest when it comes to processing power, soc, BATTERY, etc. The 5s was a dual-core chip, while the SGS4 was a quad-core.

    What Apple is very good at is taking smaller, less powerful internals and getting the maximum output through software and other patented methods. It's why they have had an 8MP camera for years, and it still takes quality photos. It's why their phones are still at the "top of the line" for consumer usage.

    Flagship Android phones are more "powerful" than a iPhone of the same year, in almost every way. But for several reasons, they don't have the efficiency marks that Apple is constantly able to hit.

    We'll probably see that change with the iPhone 6. I expect the screen on the 4.7 to have a higher pixel density, whereas the 5.5 will be more powerful. It will have a bigger battery than the 4.7, and therefore it'll be a more appropriate media device, ala a G3 or M8.

    And that brings me to the crucial point; Apple has finally admitted that the modern smartphone is much more than a device to call/text/surf the web with. Android's rise in popularity was enabled because people were allowed to have everything in one unit. Communications, gaming, GPS, Internet, entertainment, etc.

    Where Apple is smart is they decided to go with both markets (power, bigger device/efficient, smaller), and see where they end up. One of the factors behind this is they can afford it. Samsung is releasing the Alpha because they can afford to have 3 high-end phones running in the sane fiscal year. Companies like Motorola and HTC, however, cannot really afford a loss at this point. Having two (or more) flagships running concurrently will cannibalize sales, and they need a home run.
    If I've been helpful to you in some such way or another, kindly hit the "Thanks" button on the bottom right.. Appreciate it!
    nikkisharif likes this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Who is To Blame?

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    Females? Social Media? These are small influential factors.

    Posted via the Android Central App
    It was a JOKE
    Thanked by:
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Who is To Blame?

    The trend in phone sizes is the result of consumer preferences learned through market research. People who now want phones that are sub-5" are in the minority. After all that Steve Jobs said about the perfect size of a smartphone, there's no way Apple would be developing a bigger iPhone if the market research didn't indicate a new, larger sweet spot for smartphones. If you want to blame anyone, blame consumers.
    Thanked by:
    monsieurms and rmeigs like this.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: Who is To Blame for giant phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by JulesJam View Post
    I can't read any of those screens. If you were blessed with great eyes, that's great. Lots of us weren't.
    I wasn't either, why would you assume so? I have a stigmatism in both my eyes as a matter of fact, the fact is a smaller form factor for smartphones is useful in everyday situations than larger devices also add to the fact a more hand friendly form factor can be handled no matter what you are doing and I have smaller hands that larger devices are off the table for me.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default Re: Who is To Blame for giant phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by codyoehl View Post
    The iPhone is small, because there is a market for it and iPhone users are used to it and besides
    Why is apple about to make a 4.7 inch and 5.5 inch iPhone 6? Because that's where the money is!

    Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5
    That's where the money is? Apple makes the most money than anyone from smatphones, maybe they are doing it because it is a natural progression and FYI, I am pretty sure the 5.5. inch iPhone rumor was debunked.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

    Default Re: Who is To Blame for giant phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fried Rice Mofo View Post
    IPhones don't have the latest and greatest when it comes to processing power, soc, BATTERY, etc. The 5s was a dual-core chip, while the SGS4 was a quad-core.

    What Apple is very good at is taking smaller, less powerful internals and getting the maximum output through software and other patented methods. It's why they have had an 8MP camera for years, and it still takes quality photos. It's why their phones are still at the "top of the line" for consumer usage.

    Flagship Android phones are more "powerful" than a iPhone of the same year, in almost every way. But for several reasons, they don't have the efficiency marks that Apple is constantly able to hit.

    We'll probably see that change with the iPhone 6. I expect the screen on the 4.7 to have a higher pixel density, whereas the 5.5 will be more powerful. It will have a bigger battery than the 4.7, and therefore it'll be a more appropriate media device, ala a G3 or M8.

    And that brings me to the crucial point; Apple has finally admitted that the modern smartphone is much more than a device to call/text/surf the web with. Android's rise in popularity was enabled because people were allowed to have everything in one unit. Communications, gaming, GPS, Internet, entertainment, etc.

    Where Apple is smart is they decided to go with both markets (power, bigger device/efficient, smaller), and see where they end up. One of the factors behind this is they can afford it. Samsung is releasing the Alpha because they can afford to have 3 high-end phones running in the sane fiscal year. Companies like Motorola and HTC, however, cannot really afford a loss at this point. Having two (or more) flagships running concurrently will cannibalize sales, and they need a home run.
    The thing is, the iPhone 5S is king when it comes to graphical ability. Check anandtech for proof. They also managed to have a good GPU in their phones, and for all intents and purposes along with optimization (Moto X) that is all a phone needs. Hell, look at the Moto X, dual core and 2GB of RAM yet had a GPU comparable to the S4, and One M7. The iPhone is able to run one of the most demanding games in mobile called Infinity Blade, hell iOS is getting Bioshock soon.

    So no, power isn't a problem with an iPhone.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: Who is To Blame?

    Quote Originally Posted by spencerdl View Post
    It was a JOKE
    O....k......?
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default Re: Who is To Blame for giant phones?

    I see no one is addressing my point of planned obsolescence. Manufacturers have been making 4-4.7 inch phones that are high end for years, all of sudden last year, 5+ inch phones were made. If all the high end phones are big, what choice do consumers have besides to buy big phones? I don't agree consumers just decided to buy bigger phones all of sudden. Because that would counterpoint the fact iOS has over 40% marketshare in the U.S., or how WP itself growth is mostly based on the 520, a 4 inch phone.

    I actually saw a vine yesterday that was a parody of how Android users answer their phone, you know how they did it? By picking up a phone the size of a TV. I know some here want to brush it off, but this is an issue that needs to be addressed because the market is there for good phones at smaller sizes, so I am guessing by this thread, the manufacturers are at fault here.
  23. #23  
    sting7k's Avatar

    Posts
    599 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,740 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

    Default Re: Who is To Blame for giant phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    Who do I blame for this injustice? OEMs? Carriers? Consumers?
    The people who buy them. If everyone is buying huge phones and a manufacturer's stock of 4.7" phones sit unsold then you can bet they will probably stop making the smaller size. Same thing happened with hardware keyboards; although that was IMO for the better.

    I do not like the trend either. I won't buy anything larger than 4.7" most likely. I don't like 5" phones.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: Who is To Blame for giant phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    The people who buy them. If everyone is buying huge phones and a manufacturer's stock of 4.7" phones sit unsold then you can bet they will probably stop making the smaller size. Same thing happened with hardware keyboards; although that was IMO for the better.

    I do not like the trend either. I won't buy anything larger than 4.7" most likely. I don't like 5" phones.
    Manufacturers have been making 4-4.7 inch phones that are high end for years, all of sudden last year, 5+ inch phones were made. If all the high end phones being made are big, what choice do consumers have besides to buy big phones? I don't agree consumers just decided to buy bigger phones all of sudden.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Who is To Blame for giant phones?

    Maybe the carriers wanted to make big phones, and people were really happy with that, so they stuck with it

    Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5
    BobLobIaw likes this.
Page 1 of 15 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. gallery doesn't show when trying to uoload pics
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-08-2014, 07:05 PM
  2. Battery Is Perfect On The OPO
    By SPS828 in forum OnePlus One
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-15-2014, 05:02 PM
  3. Getting new phone and I have 3 choices.
    By Sax_Derp in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-15-2014, 07:40 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-14-2014, 08:19 PM
  5. Forgotten email used to set up android phone
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-14-2014, 07:15 PM

Posting Permissions