What are your views in google and privacy?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So, I realize this being a android forum and all this seems like a obvious question however I'm still curious what your responses maybe.

Right now I'm going back and forth how much googles data collection and email ad scanning bothers me. On one hand it does give us value in the sense that we get all these great services for "free" and we gain a lot of contextual value with things like google now. On the other hand, we are paying for these services with our data and do we really want one single company storing and having access to that much data and basically our entire life? What if google one day misuses that power or, god forbid, there hacked? Or if there's a rogue employee that let's loose all that data? If you think about it, it's rather scary.

If you use a android, I guess you can't get away with not using google or that you should complain about it , but still it makes me worry.

But the other thing is, if people want to ditch google, can you really and still have the same quality experience? I don't think you could effectively use android without using google services and even on platforms like PC and iOS, what are you going to use? Bing ? Not as good as google. Outlook.com? Its good, but gmail is arguably better . Google maps is pretty much the undisputed maps champ. Google docs is taking markets hate away from office , and chrome is among the best web browsers.

Anyway , do any of you have any fears with google and privacy ? Are they worth giving up the services? How do you rationalize it?

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
The NSA is spying on us all, and I would arguably trust google more than the government
Because if you think about it, Google wants to make money, and if they do something really bad with personal information, everything goes south
The government is just well, the government, they already infringed on our privacy, by a lot
The NSA has way more information than Google, so I'd be worried about them

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I think the benefit of Google Services far outweigh any potential concerns. People who fear Google and privacy are the same ones who don't read the TOS of whatever company they do like. If you look at Microsoft's and BlackBerrys TOS it will look mightily similar to Googles. Hell, Microsoft does almost everything Google does yet they are viewed as more secure for some unknown reason. But whatever.

FUD is usually caused by ignorance at the end of the day.

Posted via the Android Central App

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
To be brief, I find the vast majority of the thing I read about Google and privacy written by owners of other operating systems to contain plenty of exaggeration, hyperbole, misinformation, and even flat out falsehoods but very little fact.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
To be brief, I find the vast majority of the thing I read about Google and privacy written by owners of other operating systems to contain plenty of exaggeration, hyperbole, misinformation, and even flat out falsehoods but very little fact.

This.

barth2

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
You have no privacy. Even if you don't use Gmail, so many people do that half you email end up on Google server. Which means the govt or a third party can get their hands on them with a court order. You have privacy in so far as you don't do anything to attract the govt attention, find yourself under investigation, get indicted, or get sued.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
You have no privacy. Even if you don't use Gmail, so many people do that half you email end up on Google server. Which means the govt or a third party can get their hands on them with a court order. You have privacy in so far as you don't do anything to attract the govt attention, find yourself under investigation, get indicted, or get sued.

Wait, what?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Well you don't have any privacy...

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

You can have some privacy. I am thinking on taking a more privacy orientated lifestyle anyways. I took a big step early this year when I quit all social networks. I should do some services spring cleaning and who knows, I am taking a hard look at getting a BlackBerry Classic too.

Take back our internet #freedomfighters

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I honestly don't worry about it much. What could someone find out from stuff Google knows about me? Nothing anyone can't find out... My house purchase is public record... Finding my employment isn't exactly hard... And they'll know I like Android and video games.. So I'm not that worried.

marthaDowns

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I hate that google has access to so much info on us. I know that other companies prob do similar, but the word out there is that Google is the worse. While I don't have anything to hide, I don't see why my contact list needs to be accessed by Pandora or other apps on google play. Why else except to harass those on my contact list?

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
These threads have some good discussion on this topic: :)

http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-news-discussion/347370-privacy-android.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-news-discussion/374753-android-privacy-nightmare.html

Personally, I take various steps to protect my privacy as listed below. The basic idea is to limit the amount and type of personal data that is put out there so it's not available to be collected/collated in the first place.

1. Use AdAway (requires root) with the MVPS blocking hosts file that blocks most ad networks and their tracking stuff, as well as known malicious Internet sites.
2. Don't use any social network stuff at all, no accounts on any of them. Family and friends who do have social network accounts respect my request to never post personal info about me on their own accounts.
3. Never share my main e-mail address or phone number outside my close network of family/friends or critical accounts. I also use a secondary throw away type e-mail account for non-critical stuff.
4. Don't use my real name for anything online except for things that absolutely need it.
5. Don't use any type of cloud storage. I prefer to keep things under my direct control if at all possible.
6. Secure my devices with a PIN or password, to prevent unauthorized access should they be lost or someone tries to access them without my knowledge. (ex. for my phone and tablet I use a PIN set to lock after 10 minutes of inactivity or immediately by pressing the power key. For my computers it's a password.)

Also, more specifically on my Android devices I disable any unused apps/services and highly minimize installed apps to only those absolutely needed. I also review app permissions prior to install and will move on to something else or just dump an app if I'm not comfortable with them. I also turn off auto-updating of apps so I can review any updates for changes to permissions and/or functionality.

An example of Google apps I've disabled: Books, Magazines, Movies & TV, Music, +, Talkback/Hangouts, even Now/Search. I also don't use Chrome (stock Samsung browser instead) and don't sync bookmarks or history. I also disable location history in Maps and never share my location. I do use Google search in the web browser, but NEVER when I'm signed in with my account. The ONLY thing I sync to Google is my GMail, but even that is temporary as I pull it down to my local PC via Outlook and delete it off Google's systems. I also occasionally check my Google Dashboard to verify what info they have and remove anything I don't want there.

Kind of sounds like you have a dumb phone left over! LOL.

We all have different viewpoints regarding security. I personally believe that as the world grows smaller, privacy does also. This can be both good and bad. I think it brings most people closer together, which I like. There will always be bad elements in the world. Like some have said, I think the positives outweigh the negatives but I would never tell others what to do. There are a variety of devices to cover all needs.

Posted via Android Central App

Ad999

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Exactly how I feel.
I may get to this point also...

Old thread but new to me. Recently bought first smartphone (Moto G) because I don't want to be left behind on the technology front. Am convinced the primary purpose of this device is for google to collect as much "personal" info as they possible can. With GPS (and other google services) on they know where I go, how often and when. Who I meet, what I read, and the same for everyone in my contacts who has a capable device. Not going to speculate or comment what they do or how they use it. At the end of the day they have pretty detailed profile.

I would love to know the age of commentators on these threads. My guess is many who have no issues with privacy are younger. Also guessing the majority of posters here are under 40. Have yet to hear anyone make a convincing argument why google (or any other entity) should have my data...and how it will help me? I can manage my photos and friends just fine without google. Especially since I have no interest in social media...although some retailers seem to think I do.

Do not feel I have anything to hide but on principal alone...it is my data. Why should I openly share it? Do all of you give your credit card number out freely to everyone you meet? Your address? When and where your spouse goes? Why not...google knows?

Surf Safe

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would love to know the age of commentators on these threads. My guess is many who have no issues with privacy are younger. Also guessing the majority of posters here are under 40. Have yet to hear anyone make a convincing argument why google (or any other entity) should have my data...and how it will help me? I can manage my photos and friends just fine without google. Especially since I have no interest in social media...although some retailers seem to think I do.

Do not feel I have anything to hide but on principal alone...it is my data. Why should I openly share it? Do all of you give your credit card number out freely to everyone you meet? Your address? When and where your spouse goes? Why not...google knows?

Surf Safe

I am 27 but giving someone my credit card versus someone knowing where I like to eat my food are on two different scales entirely .. haha :).

BBRfuG

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I may get to this point also...

I think it's safe to say I'm probably one of the more "senior" people here in re: age (over 40 :) ). I don't know if that's a factor in my beliefs on "privacy." Maybe so, because I remember what privacy *was* prior to the evolution of technologies that could simply usurp it away.

Google and similar companies absolutely know the value of these data and what it means for business directions, trends, and how to market to them. Do they have a right to it? Well, I think that Google et al. would argue that "it's the price you pay for the *free* use of our resources/services." They're betting that most people would be willing to pay that price for the benefit of the services they provide.

My objective, OTOH, is to fight to hold onto as much privacy as I still can, in the hope that what these companies are doing does not grow way out of control. I don't think these companies are any where's near their "end game." They have lots more ground to cover. However, as a consumer, it's my job to see they don't get very far, at least with my data. :)

Truth to tell, what I find the most creepy about all this is not so much that they know this info., but that they try to use it to "sell me stuff." When ads and "suggestions" pop up on your website "because you looked at this or that or was interested in this, etc." That's just plain creepy. But I guess that's their whole point behind this... Trying to sell you stuff because your previous choices told them what they "think* you might like.

Do not feel I have anything to hide but on principal alone...it is my data. Why should I openly share it?

Precisely. But again, Google et. al's answer to that would be, "because we let you use our services for free, and you benefit from it." Not saying that's right, but it is what it is.

NikasN94G

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I always wonder why they need so many things to know from my phone. In my game I use only internet connections and bluetooth, that's all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800