Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zorak950
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android Launcher a standard for ALL OEMS??

I heard a while back that Google was toying with the idea of requiring all OEMS to have the Android Launcher as a selectable option within the settings. This meant if consumers didn't want to use the OEM's skin they could easily just select the default Android Launcher without the need of having to download a rom. Has anyone else heard this ?

It be nice to have it as an option. I know there is Nova Launcher but I'm talking about having the Nexus UI experience for the dialer, settings menu, etc...

293 Posts
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts

Default Re: Android Launcher a standard for ALL OEMS??

Its been rumored forever, it also is never gonna happen. The best that you can hope for is bits and pieces of the OEM skins being put in the play store, like MOTO and HTC has done

The only thing that might come close is Android silver

It already is, sort of. The Google Now Launcher, which is the one now used on Nexus devices, is available on the Play Store. It may not come pre-installed, but it's an option.
    LeoRex likes this.

The default Android launcher is what Nova and Apex uses as their base as is. And Google put the Google Now Launcher on the Play Store, so it probably isn't that big a priority.

I think we'd all benefit if oems just stuck with vanilla Android and added their features, rather than overhauled the look and feel of the whole UI. Motorola is the only one to do this, and it remains to be seen is Lenovo keeps this in place one they finally take over... And it'll be a cold day in hell before Samsung stops their Touchwiz madness... But LG has made a move towards cleaner build...

We'll see