Is iMessage worth buying an iPhone over an Android?

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Your friends will still receive your texts in the same messaging app they receive "iMessages". Just will be green bubbles instead of blue and you won't see the flashing ellipticals letting you know they're typing.

Jon Hallur

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I would suggest sticking to andriod and just using wechat or whatsapp, they're a better alternative to imessage. Plus apps are way more expensive in general. I get my apps completely free off Mobogenie and it's a huge selection. Basically most of everything that you might find on googleplay. Good luck with your choice either way!

TavisB

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
But we already went over the fact that pretty much all plans have unlimited talk and text now

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

I am still in a plan with 200 texts but unlimited data, which is what I would rather have. I don't like paying for the extra texts when I go over so I have tried some alternatives. However, out of my 340 contacts only 5 have whatsapp and only three have ever used hangouts with me. I guess most of my contacts are not techy, because they seem to either be in iPhones, or just using their stock texting apps.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
The answer is neither no nor yes coming from anyone here. The answer is, how much do you need iMessage, chatting with family members, being part of group chats etc. How much of a bother would it be not having it. If you can´t live with it, then you are going to have to stick with an iPhone. If you can live without it, then you can get an Android phone. The choice is totally up to you.

P.S. even though many have given you alternatives, What´sapp etc, they would do little good if the people you chat with don´t want to use them.

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I really would love to get the Nexus 6, but all of my friends have iOS and use iMessage all the time. I'm worried that either my texting bill is going to get really high, or their texting bill is going to rise. Any thoughts? Is iMessage worth buying an iPhone over an Android - what I really want?

If your friends with iOS devices simply go into their message settings [SETTINGS>MESSAGE>iMESSAGE] and select SEND AS SMS they can use iMessage for any of their contacts and their recipients using Androids will get whatever they send. That change makes iMessage a non-issue for everyone both iPhone and Android users. This setting also makes it much easier to deal with a lost iPhone should that ever happen.

The big advantage of iMessage is that when wi-fi is available that message goes through Apple servers instead of the phone carrier servers. Those people with a limit on monthly text messages don't have their iMessages count against their plan.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The only big advantage (and it might have already been mentioned) that iOS has is not having a size limit for MMS. On Android I can't send videos in full quality over text. Other than that, you can use Hangouts if not having good cell service at home was an issue.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I really would love to get the Nexus 6, but all of my friends have iOS and use iMessage all the time. I'm worried that either my texting bill is going to get really high, or their texting bill is going to rise. Any thoughts? Is iMessage worth buying an iPhone over an Android - what I really want?

Depends what kind of plan you have. I know most plans now have unlimited texting so it wouldn't matter which you chose. Now if you have limited messages, that could be a vital decision making point.

casaout

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
To make it a bit more complicated: Why not considering a Windows Phone?
There are enough multi-platform messengers available on all platforms: Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, Line, Blackberry Messenger, Google Chat, Skype, etc. They seem to have data plans - so they could use any of these apps, right?

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
If your friends with iOS devices simply go into their message settings [SETTINGS>MESSAGE>iMESSAGE] and select SEND AS SMS they can use iMessage for any of their contacts and their recipients using Androids will get whatever they send. That change makes iMessage a non-issue for everyone both iPhone and Android users. This setting also makes it much easier to deal with a lost iPhone should that ever happen.

Thanks for the tip.....great info.

The big advantage of iMessage is that when wi-fi is available that message goes through Apple servers instead of the phone carrier servers. Those people with a limit on monthly text messages don't have their iMessages count against their plan.