Is iMessage worth buying an iPhone over an Android?

babin101

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I really would love to get the Nexus 6, but all of my friends have iOS and use iMessage all the time. I'm worried that either my texting bill is going to get really high, or their texting bill is going to rise. Any thoughts? Is iMessage worth buying an iPhone over an Android - what I really want?

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Well personally I love android and wouldn't want to switch
You have to weigh the pros and cons of getting either
And I'm guessing you don't have unlimited texts

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
The answer is no, unless you have a texting plan from 2009 and are limited to 200 messages. Like others said, most plans have unlimited messaging, so there's really no need.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a couple of friends using iMessage, but I deal with them by using my iPad and my Mac for that. If you don't have either, then I would tell my friends to install Whatsup or Hangouts. It shouldn't be that difficult.
iMessage works really well, and I wish Apple made it cross platform, but at the moment that wouldn't be in their best interests.

Smply_Rcklss

May 21, 2014
Visit site
What's so special about imessage from simple texting ??? To the question at hand, I'd assume it isn't. As stated, use hangouts or whatsapp

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Like others have indicated, unless you're married to a plan with limited texting, I wouldn't worry about it. If you just get an iOS device for that reason, you're probably going to be disappointed. If you've been thinking about the iPhone anyway, though, give it a good, hard look: it's a great device.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I really would love to get the Nexus 6, but all of my friends have iOS and use iMessage all the time. I'm worried that either my texting bill is going to get really high, or their texting bill is going to rise. Any thoughts? Is iMessage worth buying an iPhone over an Android - what I really want?

No it's not worth it to switch solely for iMessage.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The only advantage that I saw with iMessage versus SMS via the carrier is video. Video sends full quality.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This OP, in a nutshell, is what is wrong with mobile.

"Should I sacrifice what I really want, to buy into the exclusives of another ecosystem because of peer pressure."

Stop letting the tail wag the dog people.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
iMessage is one of the primary reasons my 5s doesn't see the light of day. It's such a hassle to switch to iPhone even temporarily because of it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Friends who won't talk to you except through a particular App are not really friends are they? Doesn't friendship imply an effort to connect? Am I just that OLD? Is there no decency left in the world? If I have a whatsamadoodle brand phone and know my friend doesn't, will I be so conceited that I won't talk to him untill he buys a whatsamadoodle? Am I so flabbergasted by this discussion that I can only speak in questions? Am I having a stroke over the idiocy of it?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
No reason to get an iPhone because of iMessage. You are obviously asking this because you feel peer pressure to get one. Believe I have been where you have been, and I still choose to use Android till this day.

Posted via the Android Central App

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Friends who won't talk to you except through a particular App are not really friends are they? Doesn't friendship imply an effort to connect? Am I just that OLD? Is there no decency left in the world? If I have a whatsamadoodle brand phone and know my friend doesn't, will I be so conceited that I won't talk to him untill he buys a whatsamadoodle? Am I so flabbergasted by this discussion that I can only speak in questions? Am I having a stroke over the idiocy of it?

You are absolutely right. I guess there are more acquaintances than real friends. I can imagine though that if someone has family and friends only using a specific technology that it might get difficult making everybody using something new. My father is 72 years old and is using a Mac. He can communicate with iChat and Skype. If Skype were not available on my platform of choice then it would have been difficult to make him use something else. So I guess there are situations where a specific technology might lock someone to a specific platform.

Posted via the Android Central App

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Is iMessage worth buying an iPhone over an Android?
Honestly, it actually might have been good if it were cross platform. It really doesn't suck. But as it is now, it will limit who you can talk to. Most people don't use Apple products (either Macs or iPhones). Cross platform IM standards like Gtalk (now called "Hangouts") work everywhere and on everything. And Gtalk is free.

That being said, if all the people you care about talking to use iOS, and this is one of your primary functions you use on your phone, then yeah it might be worth it to you.

You said that texting was costing you a fortune though...so if money is an issue, Apple products are never going to be cheap. Just something else to consider.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007