Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is iMessage worth buying an iPhone over an Android?

I really would love to get the Nexus 6, but all of my friends have iOS and use iMessage all the time. I'm worried that either my texting bill is going to get really high, or their texting bill is going to rise. Any thoughts? Is iMessage worth buying an iPhone over an Android - what I really want?

Default Re: Is iMessage worth buying an iPhone over an Android?

Well personally I love android and wouldn't want to switch
    You have to weigh the pros and cons of getting either
    And I'm guessing you don't have unlimited texts

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

Doesn't pretty much every cell plan come with unlimited text these days?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    Doesn't pretty much every cell plan come with unlimited text these days?
    That's what I was thinking

The answer is no, unless you have a texting plan from 2009 and are limited to 200 messages. Like others said, most plans have unlimited messaging, so there's really no need.

I have a couple of friends using iMessage, but I deal with them by using my iPad and my Mac for that. If you don't have either, then I would tell my friends to install Whatsup or Hangouts. It shouldn't be that difficult.
    iMessage works really well, and I wish Apple made it cross platform, but at the moment that wouldn't be in their best interests.
    iMac 27" mid 2013, iPad Air 64GB Cellular White/Silver, HTC One M8 Gunmetal gray

What's so special about imessage from simple texting ??? To the question at hand, I'd assume it isn't. As stated, use hangouts or whatsapp

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸

Like others have indicated, unless you're married to a plan with limited texting, I wouldn't worry about it. If you just get an iOS device for that reason, you're probably going to be disappointed. If you've been thinking about the iPhone anyway, though, give it a good, hard look: it's a great device.
    A895 and babin101 like this.

Just use Whatsapp or something similar, where I live pretty much everyone uses LINE exclusively to communicate.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

I don't think so. But I have never had iMessage to begin with.

Global Posts
    3,567 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by babin101 View Post
    I really would love to get the Nexus 6, but all of my friends have iOS and use iMessage all the time. I'm worried that either my texting bill is going to get really high, or their texting bill is going to rise. Any thoughts? Is iMessage worth buying an iPhone over an Android - what I really want?
    No it's not worth it to switch solely for iMessage.

The only advantage that I saw with iMessage versus SMS via the carrier is video. Video sends full quality.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

This OP, in a nutshell, is what is wrong with mobile.

"Should I sacrifice what I really want, to buy into the exclusives of another ecosystem because of peer pressure."

Stop letting the tail wag the dog people.
    Nokia Lumia 1520.3 (Factory Unlocked): Windows Phone 8.1 w/ Lumia Cyan
    Dell Venue 8 Pro (32GB): Windows 8.1 Desktop OS w/ Office 2013 H&S
    Wildo6882 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts

iMessage is one of the primary reasons my 5s doesn't see the light of day. It's such a hassle to switch to iPhone even temporarily because of it.

Friends who won't talk to you except through a particular App are not really friends are they? Doesn't friendship imply an effort to connect? Am I just that OLD? Is there no decency left in the world? If I have a whatsamadoodle brand phone and know my friend doesn't, will I be so conceited that I won't talk to him untill he buys a whatsamadoodle? Am I so flabbergasted by this discussion that I can only speak in questions? Am I having a stroke over the idiocy of it?
    Nokia Lumia 1520.3 (Factory Unlocked): Windows Phone 8.1 w/ Lumia Cyan
    Dell Venue 8 Pro (32GB): Windows 8.1 Desktop OS w/ Office 2013 H&S
    bigoldthor, A895 and petvas72 like this.

No reason to get an iPhone because of iMessage. You are obviously asking this because you feel peer pressure to get one. Believe I have been where you have been, and I still choose to use Android till this day.

Posted via the Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Friends who won't talk to you except through a particular App are not really friends are they? Doesn't friendship imply an effort to connect? Am I just that OLD? Is there no decency left in the world? If I have a whatsamadoodle brand phone and know my friend doesn't, will I be so conceited that I won't talk to him untill he buys a whatsamadoodle? Am I so flabbergasted by this discussion that I can only speak in questions? Am I having a stroke over the idiocy of it?
    You are absolutely right. I guess there are more acquaintances than real friends. I can imagine though that if someone has family and friends only using a specific technology that it might get difficult making everybody using something new. My father is 72 years old and is using a Mac. He can communicate with iChat and Skype. If Skype were not available on my platform of choice then it would have been difficult to make him use something else. So I guess there are situations where a specific technology might lock someone to a specific platform.

Posted via the Android Central App
    iMac 27" mid 2013, iPad Air 64GB Cellular White/Silver, HTC One M8 Gunmetal gray
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by babin101 View Post
    Is iMessage worth buying an iPhone over an Android?
    Honestly, it actually might have been good if it were cross platform. It really doesn't suck. But as it is now, it will limit who you can talk to. Most people don't use Apple products (either Macs or iPhones). Cross platform IM standards like Gtalk (now called "Hangouts") work everywhere and on everything. And Gtalk is free.

That being said, if all the people you care about talking to use iOS, and this is one of your primary functions you use on your phone, then yeah it might be worth it to you.

You said that texting was costing you a fortune though...so if money is an issue, Apple products are never going to be cheap. Just something else to consider.
    A895 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smply_Rcklss View Post
    What's so special about imessage from simple texting ??? To the question at hand, I'd assume it isn't. As stated, use hangouts or whatsapp

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕
    iMessage to iMessage = free

Quote Originally Posted by joe watson1 View Post
    iMessage to iMessage = free
    But we already went over the fact that pretty much all plans have unlimited talk and text now

A895 likes this.

Your friends will still receive your texts in the same messaging app they receive "iMessages". Just will be green bubbles instead of blue and you won't see the flashing ellipticals letting you know they're typing.

Quote Originally Posted by codyoehl View Post
    But we already went over the fact that pretty much all plans have unlimited talk and text now

No kidding. I was answering a question. Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by joe watson1 View Post
    No kidding. I was answering a question. Move on.
    OK, well you don't have to get so defensive

I would suggest sticking to andriod and just using wechat or whatsapp, they're a better alternative to imessage. Plus apps are way more expensive in general. I get my apps completely free off Mobogenie and it's a huge selection. Basically most of everything that you might find on googleplay. Good luck with your choice either way!

Quote Originally Posted by codyoehl View Post

I am still in a plan with 200 texts but unlimited data, which is what I would rather have. I don't like paying for the extra texts when I go over so I have tried some alternatives. However, out of my 340 contacts only 5 have whatsapp and only three have ever used hangouts with me. I guess most of my contacts are not techy, because they seem to either be in iPhones, or just using their stock texting apps.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast