What your likes and dislikes about android?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
When I bought a Moto G in January one of the things that worried me was that you can't take the battery out if the phone crashes.
Well, 8 months later and it didn't crash ever. And I like using different launchers and messing a lot with the settings.
I'm convinced that most crashes come from the heavy skins that some makers put on their phones. As Diddy said the closest to pure android the best.

MoneyMike84

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
This is a good argument for getting a Nexus device. I think there's much less chance of crashes if you have an unadulterated form of Android. I don't think my Nexus 5 has ever crashed in the 6 months I've owned it.
I do think you're probably right in this stage of Android. Even though I don't have a nexus device I see a lot of improvement since my last android. I did have a galaxy nexus a long time ago and I had a lot of issues with it. I'm sure the nexus devices are much better today though. I did forget one other thing and that was the iPhone battery life. I think it's pretty amazing that it seems to last forever while only having about half the capacity as my s4. Although I'll sacrifice some battery life for the added features I get with android.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I did forget one other thing and that was the iPhone battery life. I think it's pretty amazing that it seems to last forever while only having about half the capacity as my s4.

True--Apple can do this since iOS is completely optimized for its one device (there are various versions, of course, but essentially one device). But as iOS evolves and adds some of those features that we enjoy on Android, I think its battery life takes a hit as well--we saw that when iOS7 came out, with various articles about how to address battery drain by adjusting certain settings. I wonder how iOS8 will fare from this standpoint.

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I like Android for the same reasons I liked Unix and Linux. To a great extent I can make it "my Android" and with little knowledge of the internals customize it for my own environment. Of course this means I have to tolerate some rules, " rules of Android " but that is to be expected for any commercial system.

clemson77on

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I wish Google would take the few small steps needed to streamline Android such as remove duplicate programs. Why have messaging and hangouts? Why do I have a photo app, gallery app, and also have backup options within Google plus? Also, I hate that I can't steam my music through the USB port in my car. My wife has an iPhone and streams music through the USB port and it sounds much better that bluetooth.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Why have messaging and hangouts? Why do I have a photo app, gallery app, and also have backup options within Google plus?

Because one set are Android Open Source Project apps (Messaging, Gallery) and the other are Google apps (Hangouts, Google Photos/Google+). There's also a AOSP launcher, a browser, email client, etc. They are there so that Android is not beholden to Google to operate correctly... Android is open source, so throwing a bunch of proprietary apps in there is kind of bad juju.....

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
As mentioned earlier, my great love is I can make my phone my own and like no one else's but my two hates are:

That extremely helpful message which informs you...."Unfortunately, xyz has stopped".

Wake locks. Not the push notifications, syncs etc which you have control over, but the ones when an app/s goes "rogue". Fortunately that hasn't happened in a while but there's always the next time.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
One of the biggest features I would love to see in Android is a Notification area, where you can see ALL your installed apps that have set up push notifications and give us the ability to disable them easily from one screen.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
One of the biggest features I would love to see in Android is a Notification area, where you can see ALL your installed apps that have set up push notifications and give us the ability to disable them easily from one screen.

Good point, no other OS has the utility Android has when it comes to notifications.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Like: It's Linux.

Dislike: It's closed source. Open source Android itself (including the manufacturers' addon welding), and we'd see more of a difference between that and current Android than between Android and iOS. It would really be "our own phone".

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site

Dislike: It's closed source. Open source Android itself (including the manufacturers' addon welding), and we'd see more of a difference between that and current Android than between Android and iOS. It would really be "our own phone".

Huh? Android is open source, aka the Android Open Source Project, AOSP. The only closed-source part of Android are the apps Google develops for it, Gmail, Hangouts, etc..

You can download AOSP, create your own ROM and do what you please with it.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Android is open source, Google Services is not.

Posted via the Android Central App

deibed

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
what I love: Android, the OS as a whole is the best I've ever used, I've used iOS, but to me iOS is only good in tablets, a smartphone is much more personal and for that nothing beats Android in the ways you make your device your own. There is no difference between my wife and my sister's iPhone. no two android devices are alike, my N4 is not like anyone else's N4..

what I dislike: Carrier bloatware, the iPhone and Nexus are great in the sense that there's never bloatware aside from the 1st party apps that are included by apple and google. Carriers get way too out of hand with that, but I guess that's the nature of being open source..
OEM version's of android, ie touchwiz/sense, as great and as horrible [I'm looking at you touchwiz] skins can be, they're the major reason software updates from google are nearly impossible to get in. too many hoops to jump just to get the device on the current version, and by the time the kinks get fixed..there's a new device released...Google needs to get these OEM's in line..[end rant]

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
What I love: as it has already been said here by many before me, that I can make the phone mine. It is my phone and works for me. It doesn't look exactly like anyone else's Android phone anywhere in the world.

What I hate: that every phone seems to be missing one feature or another. There is no one SUPER ANDROID PHONE. It's either just OK battery life or just so-so camera with the Nexus 5 (yes I know I can get good pics, but the camera is still slow to open and take a pic, causing me to miss some moments with my ever moving 2 year old; and I can't make it through a day without my wireless charger). Or it's a shizz skin like TouchWiz that slows the phone down and makes updates creep to a halt. Or it's some stupid glitch or error that seemingly goes unnoticed and doesn't ever get fixed.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
What I love: as it has already been said here by many before me, that I can make the phone mine. It is my phone and works for me. It doesn't look exactly like anyone else's Android phone anywhere in the world.

What I hate: that every phone seems to be missing one feature or another. There is no one SUPER ANDROID PHONE. It's either just OK battery life or just so-so camera with the Nexus 5 (yes I know I can get good pics, but the camera is still slow to open and take a pic, causing me to miss some moments with my ever moving 2 year old; and I can't make it through a day without my wireless charger). Or it's a shizz skin like TouchWiz that slows the phone down and makes updates creep to a halt. Or it's some stupid glitch or error that seemingly goes unnoticed and doesn't ever get fixed.

You can get one of the "super phones" and root/ROM it :)
That's why I did back when my S4 was still one of the top phones.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
You can get one of the "super phones" and root/ROM it :)
That's why I did back when my S4 was still one of the top phones.

But that's also kind of the problem, I don't want to have to Root or Rom it to get to that point. I want one manufacturer to make a mostly stock device, with the build of the M8, with top of the line cutting edge specs, the camera of the G3, and Nexus-like updates. That's what Android really needs to me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There are always Google Play Edition devices. But hopefully either the Nexus 6 or the rumored Android Silver phones will provide what you're looking for.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
There are always Google Play Edition devices. But hopefully either the Nexus 6 or the rumored Android Silver phones will provide what you're looking for.

That's what I was going to suggest :)

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

That's what I was going to suggest :)

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. I REALLY like the GPE M8, but it was just too expensive and the camera still left a lot to be desired. Knock about $100 off and toss in a better camera, and that phone would have me covered.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. I REALLY like the GPE M8, but it was just too expensive and the camera still left a lot to be desired. Knock about $100 off and toss in a better camera, and that phone would have me covered.

Well, almost all devices are going to compromise on ONE thing. Nexus 5 = battery life. Moto X = Camera G3 = Skin

If Samsung made a GPE S5 that would probably come close to what you want.