Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree33Likes

Default Re: What your likes and dislikes about android?

As many have stated, I like Android for its customization and freedom it provides. In particular the ability to root and make system modifications if you wish. Also, as an IT Pro (17+ years now) it's the most intuitive to me compared to any other mobile OS.

My biggest dislike is there isn't a native way to control Android OS updates without rooting your device and killing the OTA updater. IMHO, Google needs to build that into the OS like Microsoft does with Windows so users have more control over the update process. As it is now, without root and killing the updater, you're at the mercy of Google, the OEM, or your carrier. Your device may get updated in the middle of the night (or worse; a time when you need to use it) whether you wanted it to or not. Many times that results in the user spending an inordinate amount of unplanned time troubleshooting and trying to fix a problem the update introduced to what was otherwise previously a problem free working device.

Another one is the way Google automatically pushes out updates to Google Play Services behind the scenes without the user's knowledge as if it's their device and they can make any change to it anytime they wish. This is the type of behavior Microsoft got into big trouble with in the past with Windows Update.

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    As many have stated, I like Android for its customization and freedom it provides. In particular the ability to root and make system modifications if you wish. Also, as an IT Pro (17+ years now) it's the most intuitive to me compared to any other mobile OS.

My biggest dislike is there isn't a native way to control Android OS updates without rooting your device and killing the OTA updater. IMHO, Google needs to build that into the OS like Microsoft does with Windows so users have more control over the update process. As it is now, without root and killing the updater, you're at the mercy of Google, the OEM, or your carrier. Your device may get updated in the middle of the night (or worse; a time when you need to use it) whether you wanted it to or not. Many times that results in the user spending an inordinate amount of unplanned time troubleshooting and trying to fix a problem the update introduced to what was otherwise previously a problem free working device.

Another one is the way Google automatically pushes out updates to Google Play Services behind the scenes without the user's knowledge as if it's their device and they can make any change to it anytime they wish. This is the type of behavior Microsoft got into big trouble with in the past with Windows Update.
    Google Services is their app and they can update appropriately whenever they want. The rest of the stuff I agree with about updates as there are some people who do not want to update. Aren't you still on 4.1.2.?

Posted via the Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    Google Services is their app and they can update appropriately whenever they want. The rest of the stuff I agree with about updates as there are some people who do not want to update. Aren't you still on 4.1.2.?
    Understood. I just don't like the idea of anything updating without my explicit permission. It's a big reason I don't fully trust Android/Google and won't use my mobile devices for anything of sensitive nature (ex. financial). Whereas with my Windows systems, I can set them up to where NOTHING updates unless I configure it to or explicitly allow it to happen.

Yes, my Note 2 is still on 4.1.1, my OG Note 10.1 is on 4.1.2 and OG Nexus 7 on 4.1.2. All still run like a top and I have no want or need for any features that may be available in newer OS versions. If ain't broke....
    A895 likes this.

I love that I can customize it. I hate updates, when announced I want it the next day or week not months.

"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras." MacKenzie (The Newsroom, HBO)

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    Understood. I just don't like the idea of anything updating without my explicit permission. It's a big reason I don't fully trust Android/Google and won't use my mobile devices for anything of sensitive nature (ex. financial). Whereas with my Windows systems, I can set them up to where NOTHING updates unless I configure it to or explicitly allow it to happen.

Yes, my Note 2 is still on 4.1.1, my OG Note 10.1 is on 4.1.2 and OG Nexus 7 on 4.1.2. All still run like a top and I have no want or need for any features that may be available in newer OS versions. If ain't broke....
    As for me, I want a more secure presence in regards to online, and right now I am between get a high end Android device and locking it down (no Google Services) or getting a BlackBerry. Might get a BlackBerry Classic, but the PassPort looks nice too and I may get a HTC one M8 with windows or get the Android version. Still figuring it out.

For now I actually like KitKat because it made thing a a lot soother on my RAZR M because otherwise, I was just content on 4.1.2. check out my old post from TheVerge:

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/4/12...in-with-kitkat

Posted via the Android Central App

The UI design is kinda bad in my opinion, dont like boxy buttons

I love that Android is basically a free platform to expand upon the software. However it can be quirky at times but that's all understandable!

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

What I like about Android: I like the openness of the system, that it's based on a linux kernel, and hardware made for Android. Before Android mobile devices were a major pet peeve. That changed with my first Android phone dramatically. The Samsung Galaxy S II smartphone surprised me in many ways ; 1 gigabyte ram?! a dual cpu with over 1 gigahertz?? and apps and data, which I can transfer via usb, and so on ... are you kidding?? This was, what I thought ... Numbers I would have been happy about twelve years back on my old PC.
    But good things seldom come with things I really dislike: First of all I am feeling tracked when carrying my smartphone around with me. I can't really get done any work with my Android device, I tend to waste my time using my smartphone, watch videos or play small games. And when programming with the Android Development Tools I came accross some parts in the api which I considered to be really ugly. Why the hell use a tab host? I just want to add some Views or Viewgroups to some tabs. Opening menus programmatically requires ugly workarounds. Very often methods are deprecated although only their names changed. And getting taking photos programmatically to work accross many devices proofed to be horrific. But maybe I will find out that I just didn't know Android well enough.

Can't restrict some permissions for application.
    Banned

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts

My dream OS would have the complexity, capabilities and functions of android coupled with the maintenance free performance of iOS/WP

As a developer I dislike the rapid changes from one update to the next. And also the way they deprecate common functions. I have found that every time I try a tutorial a key feature is deprecated and its a nightmare trying to find the accepted practice

That aside its a good, accessible platform

What i like the most about android is that you can customize it in your favor and in the way that suites you best, the fact that you can choose from a different variety of stores and find something new every day.
    My dislike about the android is that it's not that secure and after a while it kinda crushes
    But overall its the best

Likes about android

1. Android phones are cheaper as compared to iphone in general
    2. Apps are also cheaper in android phone

Dislikes

1. Less secure
    2. There is inconsistency in OS upgradtion. e.g My S2 got OS update to 4.1.2 later as compared to some other guy in another part of world .

Google should upgrade OS like Apple Does

^^^ Google can't upgrade the os like apple does. Way too many OEMs using android, and Google cannot control them all. That's just the downside of open source.

That said, they can always do more to push the OEMs. The google play experience is their attempt to get rid of bloatware the OEMs favor.

OS consolidation has its benefits. I notice some apps (not the big guys like Facebook, but small independent apps) look really old, even though they are actively maintained. I'm guessing these were started on android 2 or 3. When iOS went to 7, within a few months, most apps I used had converted to the new look and functions. The devs see the fast upgrade adoption rate, and they know if they don't update, their apps will look old and outdated. Once apps started to straight out require 7, the hold out users had to upgrade too or miss out on the cool new apps. Of course then people complain that apple is slowing down their phones on purpose to make them buy new ones.

Android good: all the customization. Android bad: all the customization. I've spent waaayyyy too much time fiddling with my home screen. Must. Stop.

I wish Android can improve with better built-in offline backup and finer permission control. Really hope that google can take a page from Apple in these two areas.

Love the customization options, but as having old Samsung Galaxy Ace i hate the lag it sometime has...

Quote Originally Posted by barth2 View Post
    Android good: all the customization. Android bad: all the customization. I've spent waaayyyy too much time fiddling with my home screen. Must. Stop.
    I aggree with you, plus i hate google play store, they need to monitor better their store. There're too many "suspicious" apps on the store

Quote Originally Posted by nbtthief View Post
    I aggree with you, plus i hate google play store, they need to monitor better their store. There're too many "suspicious" apps on the store
    Suspicious? Elaborate please.

Android is perfect. My only problem is with app updates, phone updates, and app optimization.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    875 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP B4 JB/Franco M5

Quote Originally Posted by JellyJamStudios View Post
    Android is perfect. My only problem is with app updates, phone updates, and app optimization.

Posted via Android Central App
    Meaning it's not perfect then..

Sent from my HTC One Mate... I mean M8
    bearda likes this.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123