What your likes and dislikes about android?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
As anyone who frequents this site probably knows by now, I looooove Android. The customizability, the great variety of hardware, the cool Google services, and amazing innovation of all of those app developers out there. Probably the main thing I dislike is that there are so many cheapo poorly made devices out there that really cause terrible first impressions of Android for a lot of users. I understand that the budget devices are important to reach that important segment of the population, but Motorola has already demonstrated that you can make a fantastic budget device without sacrificing too much.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What I like: customization. Between apps, launchers, keyboards, there is always something out there that will help you say 'This is my Android. There are many like it but this one is mine.'
What I dislike: carrier and OEM interference with updates.

May 19, 2014
Visit site
What I like: customization. Between apps, launchers, keyboards, there is always something out there that will help you say 'This is my Android. There are many like it but this one is mine.'

Agreed. My device is mine, and mine alone. I doubt there is another device quite like it. My phone is set up only to be used by me. The customization factor is just awsome. For me, it outweighs any and all shortcomings android may have.

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

True that

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

+1 with the updates. One of the most compelling reasons for getting a Nexus device.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Android is from 4.0 to 4.4 has done no change on my nexus 4

Posted via the Android Central App
There have been plenty of changes since 4.0, but the Nexus 4 released with 4.2
Most updates since then have been under the hood, with a few nice features and the obvious UI changes. L should be a pretty good upgrade though.

barth2

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I like that it's not locked down like iOS. This for me does not mean abstract high minded principles like openness or freedom, because I don't really care, but in how it makes certain things easy to do, like transferring files without having to use certain programs, or playing wide variety of video formats beside h264 in mp4 container, or third party keyboards and TTS.

in exchange I have to be wary of having my cc sent to oversea hackers. Also, Android apps on the whole are not as well designed and polished. Part of it has to do with the huge number of Android devices, whereas iOS apps are more or less tailor made for the various models. Part of it is apple attracts more design minded devs whereas android attracts more straight up coders.

Lastly there are almost no 10" android tablets with 4:3 ar which I much prefer.

DirtyTrees

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
4.4.4 on Moto Maxx.. I never had any other software on a Maxx so I assume it's just the software not phone specific. I hate the software. I hate no tiles in the single finger swipe down ie: I hate the new notification screen with nothing on it.. A complete waste of time to get to any setting. I hate the first settings screens "tiles". No customizability. I hate the second settings page with the lost instead of split 4 section settings. Hate the no SD card internal. Hate the no CDMA for StraightTalk and no 4g for ATT and the 4g for T-Mobile no talk/data bug. Hate the no default flash light widget. Hate the no default task manager. Hate the way WiFi doesn't toggle on and off from tile.. Only bringing to WiFi page to do it.. Same with location.

I guess I could use 2 finger swipe down to get past notifications to the new tile page.. Lame when you use 2 phones. Also Power Toggles is cool but I hate 3rd party apps that run full time. Also it doesn't fix the location toggle and it has 3g to 4g.. Doesn't work.

4.4.2 on S4

Loooove it.

Last edited:

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
What I hate?

Crapware on my phone. (Carrier branded phones)

OEM Android versions. They should all just have launchers for us if we WANT to run it. I like Stock better.

Carrier held up updates.

The rest is good by me!

AlfBriggs

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Customisation, keyboards, launchers, Google services and Chrome integration. Hates: Touch Wiz, slow devices on lower specced models. My favourite thing is defintley removable battery's so I can put in extended Zerolemon batteries.

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
What I hate?

Crapware on my phone. (Carrier branded phones)

OEM Android versions. They should all just have launchers for us if we WANT to run it. I like Stock better.

Carrier held up updates.

The rest is good by me!

I actually prefer touchwiz over stock
The layout and design is much better to me

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
What I like: Freedom, and no mentioned this yet but, apps. Yesterday in my college statistics class we had to download an app ExitTicket and it is only available for Android and iOS. Little things like app parity and quality makes it hard to leave Android.

What I dislike: High end, smaller options for hardware are almost nonexistent. Phones get cut out of updates at 18 months which is low compared to iOS, and WP.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I actually prefer touchwiz over stock
The layout and design is much better to me

I will not buy aything Samsung. I hate TW. I don't personally enjoy a lagfest. Had it on the S3 and seen it on the S4/5 from my friends devices. In any case if they made TW a launcher it could still be an option. But on ANY phone.

MoneyMike84

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I've finally came back to android after having an iPhone for the past year and a half or so and I'd definitely say my dislike is that I feel android is lacking polish. It has tons of features which I live about Android. But I think Google needs to work on making what they already have better. There was one thing and one thing only that I liked about my iPhone and that is the fact that it never locked up and never crashed. When android is able to accomplish this it with be the perfect os. I just feel it will be much more difficult for them to get on part in that aspect with apple due to the iPhone being a bit of a dumb phone compared to android.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There was one thing and one thing only that I liked about my iPhone and that is the fact that it never locked up and never crashed.

This is a good argument for getting a Nexus device. I think there's much less chance of crashes if you have an unadulterated form of Android. I don't think my Nexus 5 has ever crashed in the 6 months I've owned it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith