Is Facebook good for society?

dctokyo

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
People who can’t start a meal until they’ve snapped the perfect picture and shared it on Facebook or Instagram, with hashtags, of course. People who walk slower than your grandma in a crowded mall or train station because they’re engaged in some mobile game or have their eyes glued on to some soap opera on their tiny screens. And then there are those who feel the incessant need to check if anyone “liked” their recent status update, or consistently have twenty group chats to reply to. There are so many of such cases these days, I’m sure you know what I’m driving at.

I’m talking about people who are addicted to their smartphones. Apparently some of them get so engrossed in their phones that they can’t walk or board the subway without running into other people.

What would your response be if your partner was one of these extreme smartphone addicts?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Like anything that is beneficial or benign in moderation but has addiction potential (like alcohol, food, sex), I'd have to say that Facebook and other social media platforms have their good sides and their bad sides. It's great to connect to people I haven't seen for ages, and I feel that I've actually become decent friends with people I've never met in person. But there are a lot of bad sides as well, as your quote describes.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
It is awful, mashes everyone an over sharer. Makes people put their private lives online, and makes then that much open to various companies, and government agencies to monitor them. #TINFOILCLAN

Posted via the Android Central App

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
It is awful, mashes everyone an over sharer. Makes people put their private lives online, and makes then that much open to various companies, and government agencies to monitor them. #TINFOILCLAN

#UNDERGROUNDBUNKERCLUB
and yep, the NSA is watching you

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
#UNDERGROUNDBUNKERCLUB
and yep, the NSA is watching you

No lie, people who do put their whole loves online, do compromise their own privacy.

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
No lie, people who do put their whole loves online, do compromise their own privacy.

Even if you are concious about what you do, the NSA still knows all...

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Even if you are concious about what you do, the NSA still knows all...

Only if you aren't careful. Even then, you have to be doing something illegal to show up on their radar.

DLGames

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
It's nice to see that society and even technology is in an continuous process of evolution but it's a little bad to see that little kids are so close to there smartphones and even when they are outside they play games and try to beat each others scores...i remember when i was little i didn't had a phone and we play basketball, with rock, hide'n'seek, etc. My first smartphone was at age 20.
But don't get me wrong i like smartphones but sometimes we are to attached to them.

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I ******* hate it. To me it 's an assault to the privacy of people and something that's very dangerous especially for younger people, kids.

People are putting their lives online not knowing how FB is going to use their dasta, because deleting something doesn't mean it's gone from their servers ..

A smartphone to me is something I need to keep in check with other people, listen to mp3s and do some webbrowsing or skype with friends. it's not something I'll need or want 24/7 activity on. Sometimes it's really nice to relax offline and spend a day out in the beautiful national enviroments with your gf while not caring some modern over the top device with you :)

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I ******* hate it. To me it 's an assault to the privacy of people and something that's very dangerous especially for younger people, kids.

People are putting their lives online not knowing how FB is going to use their dasta, because deleting something doesn't mean it's gone from their servers ..

A smartphone to me is something I need to keep in check with other people, listen to mp3s and do some webbrowsing or skype with friends. it's not something I'll need or want 24/7 activity on. Sometimes it's really nice to relax offline and spend a day out in the beautiful national enviroments with your gf while not caring some modern over the top device with you :)

I don't use a smartphone for living, I still have plain old Video Games for that. For me smartphones are used for productivity as tools. They are for communication and for enhancing workflows. If they don't do that, then their is no use in one. I also don't use any messaging apps or services or any social networks, so I don't need to be checking my phone every two minutes.

azkimbers

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
As someone with multiple disabilities, social media has helped me to get to know people first then I don't feel as anxious when I meet them face to face for the first time. Yes, anxiety sounds like a small thing but this is a huge deal for someone who is deaf and autistic. That said, while I do sometimes do what the OP mentioned, I also don't do it to an excessive point where people would be annoyed as I was taught to mind my manners and be aware of my surroundings. I've come across a few people that stand in the middle of an aisle at a grocery store fiddling with their smartphone and not letting anyone pass them. Screw that. I may use my smartphone to the point of being called an addict but I can control myself even with it being a tremendously helpful tool in getting around my issues that arise from my disabilities.

valnation

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
My GF takes pictures of the food in the restaurant every time before we eat it. So what I started doing is the second our plates are served to us on our table, I get my knife and spoon and start mixing around the food so it starts looking ugly. Hence she won't take a photo anymore.