Will android L be white white white

barth2

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
One thing I like about android is its predilection for dark scheme. For example the settings app is white text on black. The default keyboard is white text on dark keys. Many third party apps follows suit and offer choice of either light or dark interface.

This matters to me because my eyes are sensitive to light so I really prefer the white text on dark background, like from the old pre Mac pre Windows, text UI days.

Alas, the screen shots previewing android L look like it's going to be white white white everywhere. This is bad enough in itself but I'm afraid it will have a trickle down effect and everything else will be white too. I hope not :(

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I feel you buddy, it seems both iOS and Android want white everywhere, I much prefer how BB10 and Windows Phone allows you to theme the entire OS to your liking, something I think Android needs.

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm not liking the idea of a super white theme either. I'll be curious to see how it looks upon release.

Posted via the Android Central App

alinescoo

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I am not a fan of the new Material design and not to mention the fact that it will take quite a while for OEM's to make the actual update... for for about 6 months only nexus will have it :)

ntoskrnl

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
One thing I like about android is its predilection for dark scheme. For example the settings app is white text on black. The default keyboard is white text on dark keys. Many third party apps follows suit and offer choice of either light or dark interface.

This matters to me because my eyes are sensitive to light so I really prefer the white text on dark background, like from the old pre Mac pre Windows, text UI days.

Alas, the screen shots previewing android L look like it's going to be white white white everywhere. This is bad enough in itself but I'm afraid it will have a trickle down effect and everything else will be white too. I hope not :(
On Motorola it was all cool and dark, on HTC - somewhat white... On my lenovo p780 it is just ****ty... :( and of course this navy blue Samsung UI...
My apps look different when I use default theme. And this is just annoying.

I like white themes because they look minimalistic and clean. Plus, I noticed google likes to use different color buttons, which would look not that pretty on dark backgrounds.
Dark themes also very nice.

But I really don't like something in between. Can you imagine, the icon in the action bar looks the same regardless of its state - disabled or enabled.

If I could change the default theme in my china-phone without flashing custom ROMs - it would be awesome...