Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Android and data

As I get really to begin my journey from IOS to Android I have been wondering something. Does an Android device use more data than an iPhone? Just seems to be that the Android is more "free" so it my be a bit more uncontrolled in how much data it uses? I don't know that's why I'm asking

Global Posts
    9,758 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

Default Re: Android and data

It shouldn't be using any more data that you're intentionally using. There are times when things will update automatically or syncing issues that use more data when idle. That can easily be resolved by setting things to only sync and update over WiFi though. You can also disable background data in the case that it does use your data inadvertently.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2

Quote Originally Posted by joe watson1 View Post
    Does an Android device use more data than an iPhone?
    Well, you probably won't see that much of a difference really... Things like widgets, which iOS doesn't have, aren't huge data hogs. What sucks up data? Downloading new apps, things like Pandora, YouTube... Data intensive multimedia... But that is platform independent.

Short of dabbling in custom Android roms, there's not really much difference.

Android is more permissive about letting apps run in the background than iOS, but almost all apps behave themselves pretty well.

The two are different.
    Android devices always keep many app services on the background and these apps may keep refreshing automatically which would consume data.
    You can choose to disable data in settings but I don't think it is a good solution.
    Maybe you can try some other apps, like App Hypnotist or Greenify, to help disable the service ( I mean prevent them from refreshing on their own) of unused background apps.