Google Now Launcher Lacking

NickDomi

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I was excited when I saw GNL available for my phone, but honestly, I feel let down. Does anyone feel the same, like maybe there should be a lot more options and capabilities.

Posted via Android Central App

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't mind being able to move the home screen, but it is where it is for easy access to Google Now. I've never wanted to hide the status bar. If anything, I've wanted to turn it back on in apps that hide it.

Honestly, the Google Now launcher should be simple. I don't want it to have a bunch of options, because that's confusing for some people and it's the default. There are tons of launchers in the Play Store that let you change everything if you really want to.

oldsoldier

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I actually like the nice, clean feeling of the launcher. For the first time, I've used folders to keep like apps together. makes for a simpler, cleaner overall look.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I value GNL for its simplicity. But tweak it a bit using the GEL Xposed module.. Gives me everything I need out of a launcher.

I'll admit that it it's pretty sparse, but I grew tired of fiddling with launchers with an options list a mile long.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I think there is a difference between Google Launcher and the other third party ones in the Play Store. In my opinion, GL isn't meant to compete with the others and won't have the wide customizations that others have. This doesn't mean it's a bad launcher. It has its pros and cons, just like most everything else, so you'll need to decide on what works/fits your needs best.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I think there is a difference between Google Launcher and the other third party ones in the Play Store. In my opinion, GL isn't meant to compete with the others and won't have the wide customizations that others have. This doesn't mean it's a bad launcher. It has its pros and cons, just like most everything else, so you'll need to decide on what works/fits your needs best.
The Google launcher is basically a showcase for Google Now and it's the default launcher on nexus devices. They weren't looking to put it this feature rich launcher... Just one that was simple and efficient.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I am the opposite I love Google Now launcher:

Screenshot_2014-08-31-17-30-10.png

Screenshot_2014-08-31-17-31-23.png

(And look an AC article was one of suggested stories I read!)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah.. The key with the Google launcher is using it. It's been customizing itself to my interests since I got it way back when... Buy now, its like I have a minion: Here's you traffic this morning sir... Don't forget that Hell on Wheels is on tonight... Get your *** on the road because an accident jacked up the highway... I found a bunch of articles about the upcoming Nexus phone you've been searching about.

Once you get it rolling, it's awesome.

Yes, you can approximate it on other launchers, but it's just so well integrated and slick on the Google launcher.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
So you have to be using the Google launcher for it to fully customize itself to your needs? More so than using other launchers?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
So you have to be using the Google launcher for it to fully customize itself to your needs? More so than using other launchers?

Really you just need to be using Google Now note often is all. And you go twiddle with Google Services settings to toggle what you want Google to use. Let theme have your locations and where you love and work, then Google Now gives you traffic info.

Messing with Google Now settings I'd advised to. They'll give you game scores as they update, what's on TV, what's at the movies, what to do around your area etc.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Just use Google stuff.. I'm logged into my Google account on my chrome browser in my desktop... So if I search for a business, it'll automatically load directions and travel times, augmented with real-time traffic from Waze. But that's not news...

Yes, you can get to Now a million ways without the Google launcher... But it's just the speed and ease that I like. Remember that the Google Now launcher IS Google Now... It's hard to explain.

I used to use Nova Prime, and I liked it. But I found myself caught up in messing with its settings all the time, even when I had it configured the way I wanted it... Really for no other rain other than the fact that if it had a button to press, I'd press it. Now I just let it do it's thing and I use my phone. Liberating is the term I'd use.

SASavva86

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys. Just installed the Google now Launcher from the Play Store, however I noticed that the Phone icon is still the same.

I've attached an image of my home screen. You will see the phone icon is the old style instead of the new version (darker blue). Anyone know the reason for this? Can it be changed? Is it a bug? Thanks.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 12007.jpg
    12007.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 33

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I always use the stock browser. But I tried using the GNL and I liked it. However, I switched back to stock because I was too lazy to reset all my apps. I had finally got everything the way I liked and didn't want to have to redo everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007