Anyone going to trade their Android phone for iPhone 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I'll have to see the thing first, but I seriously doubt it. I like Android, and I'm not a fan of the way Apple runs its ecosystem.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Just curious to know if the iPhone 6 turns out to be good, if they would consider switching.

No. God no.

Apple can remove the hardware deficiencies by making the display bigger, and adding NFC and wireless charging...but they are not going to change the OS in ways that will make it useful to me. Such as:

1) Android's share menu
2) 3rd party app integration (for stuff other than just keyboards)
3) Widgets and a desktop - I am never going to be comfortable using an icon grid again.
4) Sideloading and alt markets without jailbreaking
5) a File system/file manager
6) Remote app install via PC to any Android device
7) Launcher/Lock Screen customization (kinda ties into #3)

Apple is definitely making progress, but at the rate they are going, it'll be years before they reach parity with what Android has right now. I understand a lot of people don't care about the items above, but those are all deal breakers for me personally...I use most of them daily.

It is not merely a matter of whether or not they CAN add these features..obviously they can. But they won't. It's not a technical limitation, it's a deliberate ideological decision on their part. Thats why I don't see myself ever going to Apple.

dragonking1

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
No. God no.

Apple can remove the hardware deficiencies by making the display bigger, and adding NFC and wireless charging...but they are not going to change the OS in ways that will make it useful to me. Such as:

1) Android's share menu
3) Widgets and a desktop - I am never going to be comfortable using an icon grid again.

Apple is definitely making progress, but at the rate they are going, it'll be years before they reach parity with what Android has right now. I understand a lot of people don't care about the items above, but those are all deal breakers for me personally...I use most of them daily.

It is not merely a matter of whether or not they CAN add these features..obviously they can. But they won't. It's not a technical limitation, it's a deliberate ideological decision on their part. Thats why I don't see myself ever going to Apple.

1. iOS 8 can have 3rd party apps in the share menu
3. iOS 8 techically has widgets, but they're are in the notification center
6. I think you can on iOS if you have Wi-Fi Sync turned on in iTunes.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
1. iOS 8 can have 3rd party apps in the share menu
...that Apple approves. Which is limited only to major ones like Facebook or twitter or whatever.

No approval is required on Android...any app I install can be added to the share menu. On my share menu I have Superbeam, Gmail, Facebook, Hangouts, Keep, Drive, Box, Dropbox, and photoshop express, and that is just the ones I use the most. I use these every day. The share menu is intuitive, flexible, and incredibly useful.

3. iOS 8 techically has widgets, but they're are in the notification center
Which is like an app-drawer, but for Widgets. I don't want to have to open stuff or scroll to get to my widgets.

From what I understand in iOS, you still cannot even re-arrange the icons. They default to alphabetical order. It's like an App-drawer you have less control over. This is not merely a "style" issue...this is a functionality issue IMO. iOS will not let me re-arrange icons in a way that makes the device more intuitive to me.

6. I think you can on iOS if you have Wi-Fi Sync turned on in iTunes.
That is syncing...I am talking about a push-install to specific devices. I can remote-install an app on my nexus 5 and not my nexus 7 if I want (or vice versa). The app will not auto-install just because I have the same gmail account on both.

This is a good example of the general lack of flexibility in iOS that would grate on my nerves. Each item when taken individually doesn't seem like a big deal, but having to deal with these limitations all the time, every day, would get old real quick.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I installed facebook the other day and then received like 10 viruses afterwards. I can't wait to sell this wretched device return back to ios.
Then what you installed wasn't facebook. I have facebook installed on all my devices...not a single virus.

I am guessing it's another app you installed doing that.

9ersfan3

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
The way I see it, you can reach a point as an android enthusiast where a question like this is just insulting. I'm way beyond that point.

There are just too many ways that android is superior.... once you've experienced android in depth and what it has to offer, who would wanna give that up for IOS ?? Not me, that's for sure

ukbuk

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I like the Apple hardware but the operating system can sometimes make the most trivial task very difficult. Things I've had problems with using my family's Apple devices:

1. Simply Bluetoothing files from my Android devices to them.
2. When a PC broke that had itunes on with a load of ripped CDs on it I couldn't get the music back off the ipod meaning having to rip all those CDs once again.
3. Using a particular file with a particular app.
4. Various apps only downloading content when in the foreground

I'm not against apple devices at all, just think they make simple things awkward sometimes.

Cheers

Nick

Posted via the Android Central App

Brad Steele

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Just watch the "Steve Jobs VS Bill Gates" by epic rap battles in history.

Only thing I miss about my old iPhone (4) is the feel of materials.

Lg0Gpro_2_AC

Amanda786

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi
Nothing could be said earlier first I will say if iPhone 6 is worth it then I will make my decision. I have iPhone 4S and 5S both. when iPhone 5 was launched I had bigger expectations but when I tried using it unfortunately it let me down so I can't be so sure iPhone 6 and will decided after visiting the app store whenever it will launch. Also the main point I am use to Apple devices and android ones not windows and other platforms and I even had android I am a fan of samsung and Sony. Samsung galaxy yes if they are going to launch their new phone I am definitely going to buy that.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I like the Apple hardware but the operating system can sometimes make the most trivial task very difficult. Things I've had problems with using my family's Apple devices:

1. Simply Bluetoothing files from my Android devices to them.
2. When a PC broke that had itunes on with a load of ripped CDs on it I couldn't get the music back off the ipod meaning having to rip all those CDs once again.
3. Using a particular file with a particular app.
4. Various apps only downloading content when in the foreground

I'm not against apple devices at all, just think they make simple things awkward sometimes.
That was my experience as well It was like trying to maneuver in a closet...half the time I used it I was trying to figure out how to make it do what I wanted it to do.

ukbuk

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
That was my experience as well It was like trying to maneuver in a closet...half the time I used it I was trying to figure out how to make it do what I wanted it to do.
Yep. I think we're only supposed to do what apple want us to do!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I am willing to look at it, but I wouldn't buy it. if I was ever to buy an iPhone it would be the 5S.

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
No. God no.

1) Android's share menu

Or, if Apple goes on being Apple, we will never see points 3-7. It's not that Apple is behind in implementing them, it's that they have no plans to implement them at all because Apple feels it doesn't fit in with their vision of how a smartphone ought to look and work.

Status
Not open for further replies.