When to Buy and When to upgrade

M120

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Currently i have a Galaxy S4 and because ive paid off the subsidy so im free to upgrade whenever i want I've decided that i will be getting an HTC one but cant decide whether to wait for the M9 or get an M8 at what point would you still recommend getting the M8 or waiting till the M9? keep in mind im in Canada and i use a smaller national carrier (the only flagships Android phones koodo carries are the S5,M8 and the Nexus 5).

For those wondering how im eligible for an update Koodo uses something called a Tab (basically i paid 400 for an S4, to keep my plan cause my plan is really good) ive paid off my tab and now I'm building a positive tab balance, the longer i wait the higher my balance gets for a maximum tab balance of 500 dollars)

Basically im asking at what point of the year would you say im going to upgrade to a newer phone and what point would you say im going to wait. I considered the oneplus but screw their invite system.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'd say within 2-3 months if you're willing to wait. But with tech there's always going to be something good around the corner, so if you're waiting for the next best thing, you're never going to upgrade. The M8 isn't that old, so I'd say go for that now :)

M120

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I was debating for some time whether to get the M8 or the note 3 (my carrier will not get the Note 4 instead will get the Note 3 from their parent company. ) but ive decided to get the M8 because of its beautiful design and boomsound speakers.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I was debating for some time whether to get the M8 or the note 3 (my carrier will not get the Note 4 instead will get the Note 3 from their parent company. ) but ive decided to get the M8 because of its beautiful design and boomsound speakers.
Either one is a great choice.
Let us know when you get it :D

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A lot of phones come out in the fall...

So, wait to get the "latest and greatest" OR keep an eye out and act soon to get the best deals on the outgoing crop. Any current flagship should be fairly future proof.

Depends on what spending level you want to take action at.

scfxv

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Like RumoredNow said, you should wait for the new gadget from Apple, price from other manufacturers will probably go down :p

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Currently i have a Galaxy S4 and because ive paid off the subsidy so im free to upgrade whenever i want I've decided that i will be getting an HTC one but cant decide whether to wait for the M9 or get an M8 at what point would you still recommend getting the M8 or waiting till the M9? keep in mind im in Canada and i use a smaller national carrier (the only flagships Android phones koodo carries are the S5,M8 and the Nexus 5).

For those wondering how im eligible for an update Koodo uses something called a Tab (basically i paid 400 for an S4, to keep my plan cause my plan is really good) ive paid off my tab and now I'm building a positive tab balance, the longer i wait the higher my balance gets for a maximum tab balance of 500 dollars)

Basically im asking at what point of the year would you say im going to upgrade to a newer phone and what point would you say im going to wait. I considered the oneplus but screw their invite system.

The One is not a huge upgrade from an S4 IMO...the S4 is already a good phone. And arguably has a better camera than either the M7 or M8. The M8 isn't a bad phone, it's just not as good as the competition.

My real advice would be to get off contract for good, but if you must subsidize, I'd get a G3 or even an S5. Both are better than the M8 in most ways. The G3 has the best camera, and the S5 has the brest display and is waterproof.

IMO, the Nexus 5 is still better than all three (great camera, fastest UI, most likely to get updates the longest and first, least amount of bloat). But it really depends on the features you care about most. I would definitely pass on the OnePlus...the company is looking a little dodgey, and there was a recent battery explosion issue.

M120

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
My carrier doesnt have the G3 and I want to get away from Samsung phones. Im worried about Battery life, if the Nexus 5 had a 3000mah battery id be ok but sadly it doesn't. Oh I'll definitely be passing on the oneplus, ive grown tired of their BS invite system. Technically im not on a contract per say ( roght now the M8 is 725 full price, I pay 425 plus tax and whatever I want to trade in the remaining 300 is on a tab, my bill is $65 plus tax. 15% of which 9.75 and another 5 bucks for a total of 14.75 each month.) As long as I pay off the 300 bucks I can upgrade whenever I want.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Haha I went with a Nexus 5, but the M8 isn't bad either as long as you don't mind the camera.

The M8 has some of the best touch response times, one of the most fluid UIs and the best speakers ever. The camera is unable to zoom very far but is still pretty good.

I would recommend heading over to the M8 forum before making a decision, they also have this amazing thread where people share photos they've taken with their M8, they are really good to say the least.

M120

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the imput, so far im leaning towards the M8 but im also considering the oneplus(waiting for it to get rid of its stupid invite system). I wish HTC was making the nexus 6 and made it look like the M8 that would be the perfect phone.