Updates

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Why is everyone so upsessed with updates? Everybody is like "I need android L" and some people are even talking about what's after that
KitKat is a great operating system, so what's the big deal with updates? I mean every time an update comes out, like 20 or more percent of the people who get it, have tons of problems

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Some people just like to have the latest and greatest.. Nothing wrong with that :). Just like their is nothing wrong with you not caring about them... Different people have different wants and needs.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well... Google is still working hard to improve Android. Specifically, ICS/JB had Project Butter, Kit Kat had Project Svelte, and L rounds out the trio with Project Volta.

The reason why people are always after the next release is that Google has been implementing some major upgrades each step of the way. And L should follow that trend.

You're right, Kit Kat is a pretty good OS in its own right, but to paraphrase Chris Rock, the only thing better than old software is new software.

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I enjoy a lot trying the new features, Find small changes. That said I agree with you that people is a little obsessed with upgrade. Os is not a common software, I'm very careful to upgrade it. If I have a stable system and don't really need any of the new features usually I don't upgrade. I use this reasoning both with desktop and mobile, and then I have a spare device to upgrade for fun without repercussions :)

slennon

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
First versions of Android were really slow, newer versions are faster. Also each big project has a huge count of errors and bugs, these errors and bugs can be fixed in newer versions. If you didn't saw them this does not mean there no bugs or some issues with security

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Though, I will say this.... a lot of the "I want my update!!!" chatter often involves people raging about updates that would give them ZERO benefit... nothing new fixed, no new features, etc. They want a new version 'because update'. Perfect example 4.4.4... There are a fair number of phones on 4.4.2 right now and there's a fair amount of people whining about not getting 4.4.4... when, in reality, neither 4.4.3 or 4.4.4 (two minor, focused updates) would do all that much other than update their build numbers.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
There are those who want the latest and those who just want their device to work. The middle ground is decidedly less populated, or at least far less vocal.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
There are those who want the latest and those who just want their device to work. The middle ground is decidedly less populated, or at least far less vocal.

Well, the way I figure it, that's what changelogs are for. It's kind of foolish to rant about wanting a new version just cuz..... And in a lot of instances, OEMs can take their updates offline of Android, so they don't need to wrap a fix into a new OS version.... just update the current one. Google has even done that with the Nexus 5 on occasion.

Now, point or full upgrades, THAT'S a different story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs