Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JeffDenver
  • 1 Post By JeffDenver
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How Many Applications Have Been Optimized for ART?

How Many Applications Have Been Optimized for ART?-1409513534901.jpg

The last time I searched about ART, I realized that there are some pretty massive improvements that applications can take advantage of with ART, possibly even become 2x faster.

So I was wondering how many applications have been exclusively optimized for ART and reap all the benefit of it?

I'm pretty sure that in Android L, a lot of apps will have to embrace ART.

Default Re: How Many Applications Have Been Optimized for ART?

I thought art mostly just boosts load time because it pre-compiles? I'm using art and not really noticing any real speed boost.

The install base is probably too small right now for most devs to bother.

When I used ART on my GS5, I remember that lots of aplications wouldn't run, some of apps were like there but like weren't I installed at the same time (weird), and it used up a ton more storage I believe

I would suggest that everyone stay away from ART, or spend an hour setting it up, just to have to immediately uninstall it

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by barth2 View Post
    I thought art mostly just boosts load time because it pre-compiles? I'm using art and not really noticing any real speed boost.

The install base is probably too small right now for most devs to bother.
    No joke, on my Nexus 5 it made applications way faster, app resuming, launching, scrolling and so on became way more fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by codyoehl View Post
    When I used ART on my GS5, I remember that lots of aplications wouldn't run, some of apps were like there but like weren't I installed at the same time (weird), and it used up a ton more storage I believe

I would suggest that everyone stay away from ART, or spend an hour setting it up, just to have to immediately uninstall it

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5
    I've been using ART since the past month, rarely seen any apps that don't work with it.

The system will automatically adjust application for ART runtime. There is no needs to adjust it by developers
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by slennon View Post
    The system will automatically adjust application for ART runtime. There is no needs to adjust it by developers
    If that we're true, apps wouldn't have crashed in the first place. So this isn't true.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by salmanahmad View Post
    How Many Applications Have Been Optimized for ART?
    All of them.

Normally Android has to convert apps on the fly before you can use them every time you run them. So it takes additional time between when you execute and when you can actually use the app.

ART converts all apps when you install them, instead of when you run them. So they only have to be converted once. Because of that, they take a little longer to install, but will run immediately when you execute them.

So apps don't need to be "optimized" for ART...ART is an OS-level process. It will affect any apps that run on Android automatically.
    salmanahmad likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by salmanahmad View Post
    If that we're true, apps wouldn't have crashed in the first place. So this isn't true.
    Thats not optimization though. The apps were previously doing things that were not the "correct" way to do them. They were basically exploiting loopholes and idiosyncrasies in Android rather than using "proper" channels (they were doing this because, under Dalvik, it improved performance for the app). These are the only apps that would not work with ART.

Once they fix their apps to work under the "normal" rules, they will work fine with ART. As far as I know all these apps are fixed...I have not run into a non-ART app in a long time.
    salmanahmad likes this.