Which Android for Jan 2011?

hollywoodmic

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
My 2 year Tmobile contract on the G1 expires in 2 weeks. I'm eager to upgrade my Android hardware. But I'm caught in the usual catch 22. Do I buy the best hardware specs in two weeks OR wait a reasonable amount of time to catch the next gen of hardware?

Any carrier but ATT is fine.

Seems CES (JAN 2011) would coincide with Android next-gen hardware releases.

After suffering with this ancient G1 for so long, I want to make sure I don't buy a phone and miss out on a very important hardware rollout upgrade.

For ex: next gen networks. I'd like LTE, or 4G, or Wimax or whatever they want to call it.

WHAT DO I BUY IF I CAN HOLD OUT UNTIL AFTER CES?

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
In Verizon's court you've got the Droid Incredible HD, which according to a recent rumor will have LTE. The Droid Olympus (AKA T2 or Terminator) looks to be another LTE phone on Verizon, but may very well be destined for all four, in the same manner as the Galaxy S, and should have the Nvidia Tegra2 processor in it. There's also the rumored Nexus 2, made by Samsung this time around. Sure, Samsung has publicly stated "are you effing kidding me?"*, but we all know that means nothing these days.

I've only been really paying attention to Verizon releases lately, but those are the big ones I'm looking out for.

*Pretty sure that's a direct quote.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
It will be Between The Motorola Droid T2 and the Droid Incredible HD. I know that the Incredible HD do not have the HDMI jack. So I am leaning toward the T2 if it has the HDMI jack...

hollywoodmic

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm just trying to anticipate what hardware changes there might be between now (when I can end my Tmobile G1 contract) and buy a new phone AND CES (Jan 6th).

All the info on the T2, the incredible HD, the G2 is all speculation. Not a single reputable source is even predicting the specs on these.

And with all the Android Tablets about to hit market, I think some of the phone specs are getting mixed with the tablet specs (like the Tegra2 processor).

Have to upgrade this 2 year old G1. Want a phone with a nex-gen network speed cell radio in it. Not ATT.

If I had to pick now, even though I like the Droid X - there's no LTE in that phone. So I'd have to go with Sprint's 4G(?) Evo or Epic OR with Tmboile's My Touch 4G (think the G2 is dead).

Need RELIABLE specs on the Motorola Terminator, Increible HD and the Olympus! Wait? or Buy now?

ARGH

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm just trying to anticipate what hardware changes there might be between now (when I can end my Tmobile G1 contract) and buy a new phone AND CES (Jan 6th).

All the info on the T2, the incredible HD, the G2 is all speculation. Not a single reputable source is even predicting the specs on these.

And with all the Android Tablets about to hit market, I think some of the phone specs are getting mixed with the tablet specs (like the Tegra2 processor).

Have to upgrade this 2 year old G1. Want a phone with a nex-gen network speed cell radio in it. Not ATT.

If I had to pick now, even though I like the Droid X - there's no LTE in that phone. So I'd have to go with Sprint's 4G(?) Evo or Epic OR with Tmboile's My Touch 4G (think the G2 is dead).

Need RELIABLE specs on the Motorola Terminator, Increible HD and the Olympus! Wait? or Buy now?

ARGH

I would go with the EVO 4G if you are in a 4G area if not I would Go with the Droid X.. I like somethings on the EVO but I like my Droid X more. A friend of mine got the EVO before the X came out. He wish's he had waited for the Droid X. I have Beautiful Widgets on my DX so my screens look like the EVO. But I hate Sprint.. Love Verizon and My DX!!!

joelkamp

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I would go evo 4g, by far the best phone I have ever owned. With sprint you can upgrade once a year so you can get the next gen sooner. Most of the stuff that is announced at CES wont be out until summer anyways.

hollywoodmic

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Eventually, you'll have to "settle" otherwise you'll be waiting for the next great thing forever

I hear ya. Catch 22. Just have a feeling there will be a big hardware shift around CES in January in the higher end phones. Trying to stay on top of every rumor, leak of Dec/Jan new Android phone releases. That's as long as I'll wait.

rjf111

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I would wait until January and see what shakes out -- what's the point of not waiting a few extra months and having a better idea of what your choices are.

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Rather than focus on hardware, I'd focus on providers with the best service plans, and especially on who has best 4g service in your area.

Once you have figured that out, go with best hardware from that provider.

I love my EVO, but by January it may be superceded by something brighter and shinier.

Harley Kid

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Waiting it out (for now)

I am with a lof of you guys (and gals). I have heard and read the rumors of the new Droid and the new Fascinate (S2) that are supposedly coming out in the spring. I am due for an upgrade and I think waiting at this point is going to allow the Froyo 2.2 to get the "bugs" fixed and allow the other phones to hit the market and be reviewed. Once fixed or released, I am all done with the Blackberry.

f4systems

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
At this point with Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) supposed to release soon. I think it would be advisable to wait until after that release at least so you can see what hardware requirements it has. It would suck to buy a phone now, even one that appears to be next gen hardware, and have it not be capable of upgrading to Gingerbread.

hollywoodmic

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Rather than focus on hardware, I'd focus on providers with the best service plans, and especially on who has best 4g service in your area.

Once you have figured that out, go with best hardware from that provider

I think that's one in the same. I'm in Los Angeles, which generally sees infrastructure like 4G earlier than most of the US. But regardless of which carrier's 4G flavor has already rolled out, I'd rather buy the best hardware AS LONG as it has 4G(ish) capability and happily wait an additional 6 months for the carrier to get their 4g rollout complete.

My original G1 maxed out at Donut (1.6) because it lacks the hardware to feature anything above that. Want to make sure the next phone is maxed out in hardware so it can keep up with OS rollouts.

hollywoodmic

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
At this point with Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) supposed to release soon. I think it would be advisable to wait until after that release at least so you can see what hardware requirements it has. It would suck to buy a phone now, even one that appears to be next gen hardware, and have it not be capable of upgrading to Gingerbread.

2.3 is out today for the Nexus One. I very much expect that my CES-timed next android (Jan) will either be a 2.3 phone, or one that easily can handle that upgrade.

It's 3.0 that I worry about.

hollywoodmic

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

dhero

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Save for HDMI out, which may also be available soon according to some via a software upgrade only, there's not better known now than what the Epic 4G offers. Everything else is speculation at this point.

And then pair the Epic 4G with the best plan value from Sprint FTW!

J240

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I was still holding on to the G1 with Tmobile like you, until last weekend I opted to get the new Mytouch 4G. I was eligible for an upgrade but decided to buy it full price so my contract will just expire. Then, come CES/Jan/Q1, if something I must have comes out, I am then eligible to switch to any carrier and get any phone I want. I am VERY happy with the Mytouch with reliable 3G & HSPA+ in my area. Coming from a G1, I feel like I have hit the jackpot. I never liked Sense before, but it's what makes this phone great IMO. The G2 with mostly vanilla just looked too much like my G1 and I wanted something new with top-end hardware. I've found it. :) Just my 2 cents of course.

ReuvenNY

Dec 19, 2008
Visit site
Like many members here I also have the T-Mobile G1. Early February 2011 my 2 year contract expires.
I like T-Mobile as a wireless provider and would like to stay with them, but I like the 4.3 inch size even more.
Are there any rumors of T-Mobile getting a 4.3 inch screen Android phone soon?(Not interested in Windows phones...)