Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Sony and The U.S.

    So can anyone explain to me why Sony the redheaded step child for carrier availability in the states? I ask because I would do things in order to get that Z3 Compact on Verizon. I mean it is literally my dream device. Hell, what happened to the rumor that the Z2 would be on Verizon? ll we get in the states for carrier availability is the Z1S on T-Mobile. I mean you can buy their devices unlocked from their website or Amazon and that is cool but I specifically want one for my carrier. Any reason to explain such poor Sony availability?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Sony and The U.S.

    Sony does not care or need to bend to the will of carriers to sell enough to make their margins work. Sony has a more global look at product production and the small market held by Verizon compared to the global market just isn't worth it to them.
  3. #3  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,843 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,879 Global Posts

    Default Re: Sony and The U.S.

    Verizon is small compared to the rest of the world.

    Sony doesn't need Verizon in the grand scheme of things.

    If you really wanted the Z3 Compact, you'd switch carriers and deal with it.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)

    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Sony and The U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Sony does not care or need to bend to the will of carriers to sell enough to make their margins work. Sony has a more global look at product production and the small market held by Verizon compared to the global market just isn't worth it to them.
    But I mean I look at it this way, Sony worldwide while making money off Android is nowhere near the top 5 smartphone makers, so maybe they can expand their horizons more? I don't know, I just think it is weird how they use to have phones everywhere here and now it is a pain the behind to get a Sony device.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Sony and The U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Verizon is small compared to the rest of the world.

    Sony doesn't need Verizon in the grand scheme of things.

    If you really wanted the Z3 Compact, you'd switch carriers and deal with it.
    Well I registered on Sony's website so they will email me when it becomes available, so it is a start .
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Sony and The U.S.

    One good thing about it is that Sony can put much more money and effort into making better devices since they are not trying to compete with the big player that are with the major carriers. Samsung has to put alot into their marketing to compete and that just take away from their device development hence the more features vs good features.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Sony and The U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    One good thing about it is that Sony can put much more money and effort into making better devices since they are not trying to compete with the big player that are with the major carriers. Samsung has to put alot into their marketing to compete and that just take away from their device development hence the more features vs good features.
    I don't think that is the reason why they put a lot features in their devices. I mean this is Android, manufacturers have to do something to differentiate and Samsung chooses bunch of software apps. Are they all useful? No. But you know a Samsung device when you see one, and that was the point.

    But back to Sony, I don't think it is fannagling with carriers is the problem I think something else is going on.
  8. #8  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,843 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,879 Global Posts

    Default Re: Sony and The U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    But back to Sony, I don't think it is fannagling with carriers is the problem I think something else is going on.
    Sony was never big with the CDMA stuff, IIRC.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)

    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
    A895 
    A895 likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Sony and The U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Sony was never big with the CDMA stuff, IIRC.
    Probably after the whole Xperia Play business, I can see that.

    Posted via the Android Central App
  10. #10  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,843 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,879 Global Posts

    Default Re: Sony and The U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    Probably after the whole Xperia Play business, I can see that.

    Posted via the Android Central App
    Even prior to that...

    Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)

    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Sony and The U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Even prior to that...

    Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    What was before that?

    Posted via the Android Central App
  12. #12  
    sting7k's Avatar

    Posts
    580 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,659 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

    Default Re: Sony and The U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    So can anyone explain to me why Sony the redheaded step child for carrier availability in the states? I ask because I would do things in order to get that Z3 Compact on Verizon. I mean it is literally my dream device. Hell, what happened to the rumor that the Z2 would be on Verizon? ll we get in the states for carrier availability is the Z1S on T-Mobile. I mean you can buy their devices unlocked from their website or Amazon and that is cool but I specifically want one for my carrier. Any reason to explain such poor Sony availability?
    Sony chose not to make a CDMA phone for Verizon's network. End of story.

    If you want the latest and greatest always available to you then you need to use a GSM carrier.
    DEman19901 likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Sony and The U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    Sony chose not to make a CDMA phone for Verizon's network. End of story.

    If you want the latest and greatest always available to you then you need to use a GSM carrier.
    Not fair, I have had the best coverage and service on Verizon than any other service provider. I may not have had Sprint or T-Mobile (which both suck from what I know) but I had AT&T, and while they are ok, Verizon beats them for indoor coverage. CDMA has better building penetration and stronger call quality.

    But, even then Sony has only made phone s available on T-Mobile, which is why I said carriers and not just Verizon. AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon all have gone without Sony devices for years now, what gives?
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Sony and The U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    Not fair, I have had the best coverage and service on Verizon than any other service provider. I may not have had Sprint or T-Mobile (which both suck from what I know) but I had AT&T, and while they are ok, Verizon beats them for indoor coverage. CDMA has better building penetration and stronger call quality.

    But, even then Sony has only made phone s available on T-Mobile, which is why I said carriers and not just Verizon. AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon all have gone without Sony devices for years now, what gives?
    Yeah T-Mobile isn't the best
    I think I have seen some improvement recently, but it still has a long way to go to catch up to Verizon

    Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5
    Thanked by:
    A895 
    A895 likes this.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Sony and The U.S.

    Maybe because SONY is a "has been"?
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Sony and The U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    Not fair, I have had the best coverage and service on Verizon than any other service provider. I may not have had Sprint or T-Mobile (which both suck from what I know) but I had AT&T, and while they are ok, Verizon beats them for indoor coverage. CDMA has better building penetration and stronger call quality.

    But, even then Sony has only made phone s available on T-Mobile, which is why I said carriers and not just Verizon. AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon all have gone without Sony devices for years now, what gives?
    I would talk to people in your area that have T-Mobile and see what their coverage is like in buildings and stuff like that. I just switched from Sprint to T-Mobile and I'm way happier with my data speeds and coverage. I think T-Mobile also has something where you can try a phone from almost nothing for two weeks to try their network.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: Sony and The U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by phoneaddict78 View Post
    I would talk to people in your area that have T-Mobile and see what their coverage is like in buildings and stuff like that. I just switched from Sprint to T-Mobile and I'm way happier with my data speeds and coverage. I think T-Mobile also has something where you can try a phone from almost nothing for two weeks to try their network.

    I live in Atlanta T-Mobile is one of the most popular carriers along with Metro PCS (a T-Mobile MVNO) and all the people I know who have these carriers have worse coverage than I do whenever we go somewhere and you can look at their coverage maps too and while they have a lot of coverage they have poor building penetration and traveling outside the city results in loss of signals and 4G.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Sony and The U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    I live in Atlanta T-Mobile is one of the most popular carriers along with Metro PCS (a T-Mobile MVNO) and all the people I know who have these carriers have worse coverage than I do whenever we go somewhere and you can look at their coverage maps too and while they have a lot of coverage they have poor building penetration and traveling outside the city results in loss of signals and 4G.
    Oh ok. I have good coverage with T-Mobile all over the metro area here. Hopefully they'll get better coverage where you're at soon.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Sony and The U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by DEman19901 View Post
    Maybe because SONY is a "has been"?
    The Stock Market disagrees with you.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Sony and The U.S.

    Yeah, that's why they are still operating at a loss year after year.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: Sony and The U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by DEman19901 View Post
    Yeah, that's why they are still operating at a loss year after year.
    Source?
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Sony and The U.S.

    Sony Financials Reveal Huge Loss, With More Expected - IGN
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/10/bu...ny10.html?_r=0

    Made a small profit in 2013 only lose again in 2014. Like I said has been. Losing money year after year.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Sony and The U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by DEman19901 View Post
    Sony Financials Reveal Huge Loss, With More Expected - IGN
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/10/bu...ny10.html?_r=0

    Made a small profit in 2013 only lose again in 2014. Like I said has been. Losing money year after year.
    It is interesting to read and have sudden reactions to small time frames but with companies than span decades it is not a realistic outlook. In 1985 Sony stock was about $6 in 2000 it hit $149 and today $19. There was more than tens of billions in lose and gain along that time line but they still gained and are not going away just because the market has bumps in the road.

    IGN sells news they don't report it. You reading that moved money somewhere.
    A895 likes this.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Sony and The U.S.

    Well, as soon as they start competing with Samsung then we can revisit this subject. Nobody is anxiously awaiting any product that SONY makes.The only electronics they have going for them is the PS4. It is probably the movie division the only thing keeping them afloat. They had their run , there in no denying that, but they are has beens. You want a phone try Samsung or Apple. You want a TV buy Samsung. Who cares about what they did in the past. Good luck waiting in line for the new WALKMAN.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Sony and The U.S.

    Everything Samsung or Apple sells has Sony patents involved. Sony's patent portfolio alone will keep them a float. I have a feeling you really don't know your tech history so well. Sony has their hands in alot more than tech.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Note 4 Disappointed with the camera improvements?
    By Baby_Doc in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-12-2014, 02:53 PM
  2. Note 4 features on the S5
    By ianeb in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-08-2014, 10:33 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2014, 11:48 AM
  4. And where has your smartphone been?
    By jmagid51 in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2014, 10:15 AM

Posting Permissions