Hangouts update? Has anyone gotten it?

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if the voice calling portion of the new hangouts is HD voice?

I notice a significant improvement on the video quality of hangouts, not sure if it's HD or not though.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if the voice calling portion of the new hangouts is HD voice?

I notice a significant improvement on the video quality of hangouts, not sure if it's HD or not though.

I don't know if it's HD, but VOIP over WiFi is always tons better than the cell network.

Posted via the Android Central App

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if it's HD, but VOIP over WiFi is always tons better than the cell network.

Posted via the Android Central App

HD calls over tmobile are actually really good.

I wonder if viber is now HD voice. I remember it being HD voice for nokia windows phones, but unsure of android.

anon(257429)

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
It's not glitchy at all for me.
None of my messages has disappeard.
You can start a convo with your GV number in hangouts
I think you may need to reboot your phone, I'm not seeing any of these glitches.

The iPhones message app may function better right now, but it isn't the same thing. iMessage doesn't compare to the functionality of Hangouts. Not even close,

I didnt mention imessage what so ever. IOS has a Google Hangouts version. Their version had Google voice calling for a while, you can also record videos and they also have animated GIFS. You can save contacts as favorites...

I dont need to reboot my phone. I did that when I got my new phone. If you have smart reply enabled, you cant change the number to send messages on the fly. You literally have to go into settings and switch to Google voice numbers.

1jaxstate1

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
The iMessage comment wasn't for you, it was for the post responding to yours. I didn't want to double quote.

You rebooted your phone when you got it? What does that have to do with anything?
With smart reply, it'll send via google voice, if that's how the convo was started. But you'd have to go change it to sms if want to switch on the fly. How often do you start a convo on one service, then switch to another? Seems useless. What smart reply should do is give you a choice of how to send a NEW convo. It doesn't.
I didnt mention imessage what so ever. IOS has a Google Hangouts version. Their version had Google voice calling for a while, you can also record videos and they also have animated GIFS. You can save contacts as favorites...

I dont need to reboot my phone. I did that when I got my new phone. If you have smart reply enabled, you cant change the number to send messages on the fly. You literally have to go into settings and switch to Google voice numbers.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I've got something weird. I got the update on both my phone and my wife's. Installed the updates and got the blue screen to import GV functionality. My wife's phone also has my google account on it and so she was getting my messages in addition to her's. I tried to disable my hangouts on her phone, but couldn't find that option. Therefore, I just went into her hangouts, under my name, and disabled my GV functionality on her phone. Evidently that disables my GV functionality on ALL devices, so I had to go back in and re-enable the GV functionality.

Now, however, I seem to have lost the ability to send GV SMS to my wife. My only option is to send her an SMS via my Sprint number, or via the Hangouts IM.

anon(257429)

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
The iMessage comment wasn't for you, it was for the post responding to yours. I didn't want to double quote.

You rebooted your phone when you got it? What does that have to do with anything?
With smart reply, it'll send via google voice, if that's how the convo was started. But you'd have to go change it to sms if want to switch on the fly. How often do you start a convo on one service, then switch to another? Seems useless. What smart reply should do is give you a choice of how to send a NEW convo. It doesn't.

Umm sure. Whats understood to me doesnt need to be explain to everyone else. You know when I dont have cell service and I CANT use my cell number and I WANT to send a message over WIFI with my Google voice number, it would be easier to just select it from the same screen. Also, please tell me how to START GV number text message.

anon(257429)

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

YOU clearly said, "I think you may need to reboot your phone, I'm not seeing any of these glitches." .. lol. And I said I dont need to, because the phone it was loaded on, was a phone I just received the same day.

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I've got something weird. I got the update on both my phone and my wife's. Installed the updates and got the blue screen to import GV functionality. My wife's phone also has my google account on it and so she was getting my messages in addition to her's. I tried to disable my hangouts on her phone, but couldn't find that option. Therefore, I just went into her hangouts, under my name, and disabled my GV functionality on her phone. Evidently that disables my GV functionality on ALL devices, so I had to go back in and re-enable the GV functionality.

Now, however, I seem to have lost the ability to send GV SMS to my wife. My only option is to send her an SMS via my Sprint number, or via the Hangouts IM.

Open hangouts, click top left by the user photo for options. You can sign your account out of her phone. I have two accounts on mine but only use one primarily so I signed the second out. You need to go into settings then click your account and sign out. It only signs you out of that service and not the whole phone.

Posted via Android Central App

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Open hangouts, click top left by the user photo for options. You can sign your account out of her phone. I have two accounts on mine but only use one primarily so I signed the second out. You need to go into settings then click your account and sign out. It only signs you out of that service and not the whole phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Thanks! I saw that, but thought that was for logging out of the app completely, not just one specific account.

1jaxstate1

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
What do you receiving the phone that day have to do with anything. What phone did you receive that had all the hangouts and GV updates and the opt in message pre loaded?
YOU clearly said, "I think you may need to reboot your phone, I'm not seeing any of these glitches." .. lol. And I said I dont need to, because the phone it was loaded on, was a phone I just received the same day.