Google’s Android Silver Program on hold?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Google's Android Silver program reportedly 'on hold' and facing uncertain future | The Verge

The oft-rumored Android Silver program was supposed to showcase the best smartphones running Android as Google intended it. It was to be backed with a major presence in carrier retail stores and publicized with big, expensive ad campaigns. That's all hearsay, of course; Google has never confirmed anything regarding Android Silver. But now, it sounds like the company may be having doubts about such a plan. The Information claims that Android Silver is currently "on hold," with some employees expressing "serious doubts" that — if Google were to move forward — it would ever be a success.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, I never saw the point of Android Silver. People love skinned devices (evidenced by HTC, Samsung, and LG). So offering stock devices, plus all the extra effort for these devices to work with carriers sounds like too much work. Google probably saw that a massive effort such as that would not be worth it if the devices themselves may not move.

GTvert90

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Wonder if this is why there are now reports of multiple nexus phones. Manufactures had prototype android silver devices and when it stalled they offered to move them to nexus devices?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Wonder if this is why there are now reports of multiple nexus phones. Manufactures had prototype android silver devices and when it stalled they offered to move them to nexus devices?

I haven't heard this anywhere. Where are you getting your info?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs