Smartwatches - why not use the band?

j j6

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I guess with all the hype over how customisable the Apple watch is this question might be redundant, but I was wondering why smartwatch makers don't use a section of the watch strap/band to hold extra battery or even pcb (the Nike fuelband does)?

I don't mean the entire thing, but even just a bit.

Posted via the Android Central App

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Samsung did it with the first Gear watches, used the band for the camera. I think they got a lot of criticism for it because it PREVENTED people from customizing the watch with a different band. That's the nice thing about (most) watches, if you like the body but not the band, you can still buy the watch and find a different band for it. The other part to consider is that the most likely part to break on a watch will be the band, you want it relatively easy to replace.

I say this as I have 2 watches sitting at home that will only accept the bands that are on them because of the way they attach but I like those bands anyway so it doesn't matter.

j j6

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Samsung did it with the first Gear watches, used the band for the camera. I think they got a lot of criticism for it because it PREVENTED people from customizing the watch with a different band. That's the nice thing about (most) watches, if you like the body but not the band, you can still buy the watch and find a different band for it. The other part to consider is that the most likely part to break on a watch will be the band, you want it relatively easy to replace.

I say this as I have 2 watches sitting at home that will only accept the bands that are on them because of the way they attach but I like those bands anyway so it doesn't matter.

That's true. Though really most straps are similar anyhow, metal and then black or brown leather. I wonder if it's such a deal breaker that people would say no to a thinner watch with more battery life.

Also I didn't mean using the entire brand, but merely a few cm on the part of the band nearest the watch body itself.

RizaHawkeye

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Maybe an extended battery that can be clipped on if you need it would be more acceptable for some people. It would be optional, but available for those who want it.

Also, some people want to minimize the weight; runners, for example.

barth2

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
It's probably not simple to embed battery/ies into the band. Batteries and your arm need to be shielded from each other. Unless you turn the band into a bracelet. Do people want to wear a watch on top off a bracelet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2