What are the top Android devices to try for an iOS user?

AngrySK

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Good people of android central, I am in need of some major help. I currently have an iPhone 5s and want to make the jump to android. I need suggestions on which phone to purchase. I have TMobile and don't really need band 12 as I get great service now. I have been leaning towards the moto x 2nd gen. Any help would be great.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, you really can't miss with all the cool new toys we have available! Here are some of my personal preferences:
1) New Moto X, preferably the Pure Edition. It might not have topnotch hardware, but it's nothing to sneer at either. The experience should be snappy, fluid, and Moto has really nailed it when it comes to voice interaction and overall system feeling. In terms of size, you shouldn't be so out of home with this one, although the best match would have been the original version (the new one is bigger now, which is good for most).
2) Wait to see what the new Nexus is like. Nexus means you'll get Android straight from Google, no sugar coating or extra stuff. So, it should offer the closest thing to an iDevice experience in terms of cohesiveness and OS updates.
3) Galaxy S5. Top notch hardware, top notch phone. Samsung's software can be a bit overwhelming and can sometimes cause a slight lag on the homescreen (thank you, TouchWiz) but you get everything others are copying or 'inventing', like our Newton-branded fruit friends. However,
4) If you want a bigger screen, you can either go for the G3 or Note 4 (or Note 3 if you mind your budget). Personally I have the Note 3 and I LOVE it. A year old and it doesn't feel outdated at all, even with the newer model coming out.
5) HTC's M8. This phone could probably be the closest you can get to an iPhone in terms of aesthetics. Plus, the experience is very smooth and snappy. However, in my personal experience, the camera on this phone blows. Yes, it has the dual camera thingy going on, but the quality just didn't blow my mind.
6)Honorable mention to the OnePlusOne. Haven't used one, but in terms of on-paper specs VS pricing, this one is a gem.

AngrySK

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Thank you!! Tons of info. I have been leaning towards the moto X because of the customization as well as the basic android with a few things sprinkled over the top. The size thing isn't that much of a huge factor since I hate how small this iphone is. Any thoughts on the LG G3? I hear it is great also. I feel like if I order the moto x it won't be here till the new nexus is out and then I will be pissed I didn't wait.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I liked the G3 when I tried it out, the screen is gorgeous, but I still wouldn't have traded my Note 3 for it. I don't know, I liked Samsung's features more than the G3's. In the end, you can go and play with the phones at a carrier store or a BestBuy, and see what you think for yourself.
Unfortunately I don't know when (or if) the New Nexus is supposed to be released but if you want a phone right now, the Nexus is probably not coming until October or November.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Good people of android central, I am in need of some major help. I currently have an iPhone 5s and want to make the jump to android. I need suggestions on which phone to purchase. I have TMobile and don't really need band 12 as I get great service now. I have been leaning towards the moto x 2nd gen. Any help would be great.

I just jump shipped to Android recently as well. In fact my Android device arrives today! I ended up going with the M8. I prefer the design of it, and I prefer Sense 6 over TouchWiz or LG's Optimus UI (I think that's what it's called). I didn't give much thought to the new Moto X because of available storage. It just didn't have enough storage to suit my needs.

AngrySK

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I guess that could be an issue but I have always had a 16gig iPhone so a 32 gig moto x should be fine. Unless android uses larger files for apps and stuff??

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I guess that could be an issue but I have always had a 16gig iPhone so a 32 gig moto x should be fine. Unless android uses larger files for apps and stuff??

For me it's more about music than anything else. I have a large music collection, and was tired of streaming stuff with my iPhone. My data use was getting out of control due to streaming music all the time. If you have T-Mobile that's less of a concern b/c they give you music streaming options that doesn't count against your data. The addition of an SD card slot for music was something that was a make or break for me. If I don't like the M8 and go back to iOS I'll get the 128GB to fit most of my music on it.

AngrySK

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I ise pandora and beats audio for majority of my music needs. So I don't really keep much music on my phone at all. I do take 1000s of pics of my kid so I need room for that.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Android doesn't necessarily use bigger app files than iPhone but we do have better cameras. That means bigger image files. So careful with that :)

But you have a ton of options for Cloud backups, and you can even save those pictures with unlimited storage in Google+ if you're willing to sacrifice some quality (the unlimited service downscales your pictures to around 3MP; if you use the full file back up option then it counts towards your Google Drive quota).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Actually, you only get 15GB with Google Drive for free (there was a promotion with Quick Office that added 10GB but that's expiring in October 2015 for those of us who got it). With new Samsung Phones and now HTC too, however, you get promotional storage with Dropbox at 50GB (not sure if the Note 4 has it though).

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
If you are coming from Apple, I would get a Nexus first. There is no other phone that is really comparable. The Nexus will have the fastest UI, and will get updates the quickest (and for the longest). It's the template that Android apps are designed around, so it is most analogous to the iPhone on iOS.

The Moto X is a great phone too (both of them actually)...but IMO the Nexus is better. Unless you are really in love with the touchless control of the Moto X.

electrofryed

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
For me it's more about music than anything else. I have a large music collection, and was tired of streaming stuff with my iPhone. My data use was getting out of control due to streaming music all the time. If you have T-Mobile that's less of a concern b/c they give you music streaming options that doesn't count against your data. The addition of an SD card slot for music was something that was a make or break for me. If I don't like the M8 and go back to iOS I'll get the 128GB to fit most of my music on it.
You'll want to download power amp and musicmatch. Great music apps worth paying for

Super Nerdified 4.3 Note 3 n900a
Triple boot thanks to Safestrap
X Note
Firenote v16
Alliance v6
bobcatroms awesome theme with my own personal touch.

BubbleBalls

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I came from IOS ip4 to HTC M7 but sold that as I thought it was too big. Bought a moto G and instantly knew it was too small. Tried the oneplus but it had the pissy yellow screen. So I now have a G3 and its perfect for me. Great specs. Battery is great even though it powers that qhd screen. One handed operation because of the small bezel. 32gb internal and added 128gb micro card and great camera. Rooted and tweaked. Stock Rom is actually nice.

Daniel P1

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
If you like bigger phones I suggest waiting for the Note 4 that is coming out next month. If not give the HTC One M8 a good look.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You'll enjoy it, no doubt. And should you have any questions on how to use it, any issues you might run into, or just let us know how you're doing with your new phone, you know where we are :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith