The ideal phone size

arn_hsn xt1022

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
What do you think is the ideal phone screen size for you? Think that phone doesn't have ANY bezels.
I think it's 4" I have quite small hands (still a teenager) and even with my 4.3" Moto E I have a little problem using it, but that's because of the bezel.

Posted via the Android Central App

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
What do you think is the ideal phone screen size for you? Think that phone doesn't have ANY bezels.
I think it's 4" I have quite small hands (still a teenager) and even with my 4.3" Moto E I have a little problem using it, but that's because of the bezel.

Phones need bezels, they are extremely important
And phones look really stupid without them and would brake so easily

I have a galaxy s5 and I kinda like the size, I wish it was a little less wide though.

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I would find a 4" screen really small these days. After having a Nexus 5 for 6 months (5" screen), I look back at my old Razr Maxx (4.3") and find it too small. I think 5" is the sweet spot for me.

heyjohnnybravo

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
4.7"-5.1" is my ideal phone for one handed usage (busy day, lots of texts and emails and calls)

5.7"-5.9" for primarily two handed use (slower day, lots of down time, browsing, gaming, etc.)

Posted from my TARDIS!

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
4.9-5.5, though as others have noted the phone around the screen is ultimately what determines how nice it is to use.

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I think the ideal smartphone, _should_ stays in one hand.

I recentrly switched from a Samsung Galaxy mini (3.14") to an LG LS620 (4.5"), and 4.5" is great:
  • It is big enough to decently use the QUERTY
  • It fits even in my smaller pockets
  • It is big enough to display (ok not so well) desktop websites
So I think it is a good compromise between usability and being compact.

anon(13322)

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Moto X (2013) is probably the most ideal size for most people. It's amazing how they got a 4.7" in such a small device. The same can be said for the LG G3 (5.5").

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
The 4.7" screen on the Moto X is a bit too small for me and the keyboard was cramped. I'm enjoying the 5" screen of the Moto G 2014 very much. I think the 5.2" screen of the Moto X 2014 will be the perfect size for me. I will be able to deal with 5.5" screen as long as it's small bezel like the G3. It's the size of the entire phone that matter, 5.5" from the OnePlus or iPhone 6 Plus is just unmanageable. 145 x 75mm is about as large as I want my phone to be, preferably 140 x 70mm, which the Moto X 2014 is very close to.

If you are getting the iPhone 6 Plus, you should really consider the size, the thing is ginormous:
Visual Phone Size Comparison

arn_hsn xt1022

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I'll like to tell all of you that I had a 5" Micromax Canvas 2. And switched to 4.3" Moto E. Just for one reason: 5" is too big for me. And anything greater than 4.7" is too big for me. But I like large screen devices, coz they can make good portable cinema halls.

arn_hsn xt1022

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
The 4.7" screen on the Moto X is a bit too small for me and the keyboard was cramped. I'm enjoying the 5" screen of the Moto G 2014 very much. I think the 5.2" screen of the Moto X 2014 will be the perfect size for me. I will be able to deal with 5.5" screen as long as it's small bezel like the G3. It's the size of the entire phone that matter, 5.5" from the OnePlus or iPhone 6 Plus is just unmanageable. 145 x 75mm is about as large as I want my phone to be, preferably 140 x 70mm, which the Moto X 2014 is very close to.

If you are getting the iPhone 6 Plus, you should really consider the size, the thing is ginormous.
Really? iPhone 6 Plus? I don't have 60 thousand rupees to spend on a phone!

As for the size, I think it's 125mmx65mm for me. And I'd like to take a phone with any screen size as long the phone measures that length. I prefer 4", at the most 4.5". If we can't use a phone with one hand (for the most of the time), it completely defeats the purpose of it. Want a much, much larger screen? We have tablets for that. The first iPhone could've been 5". But it didn't. None (of the OEMs) did that... until Samsung launched the Galaxy Note.

Seeing Apple's strategy till 2013, it was an excellent unison for two devices. They had 3.5" and 4" iPhones, perfect for one handed usage. Want a bigger screen for movies and games? You have the iPad. But it's too big? Then go for the iPad mini. I'd used my uncle's iPhone 5s, and how comfortably it fitted in my hand. But then the gaming experience wasn't very good. Then played a game on my sister's iPad, so rich experience. And I realized that those 2 devices made a good pair.

The Galaxy Note was a revolutionary device, a mid-way between phones and tablets. But it pretty much destroyed the purpose of phones: one handed usage. Until then every phone had screen size under 4.5". And it pretty much was the cause for the decline of tablets. A WiFi only Android tablet costs about just Rs5999 (if you just want a large screen and didn't care much about specs), and Android One phones cost for Rs6499 (but has quite good specs), with 4.5" screens. That sums up to Rs12498. Compared to the Galaxy Note 3...about Rs40000. Not bad for that giant, but you can get the tablet-mobile combo I mentioned 3 TIMES and still have Rs2506 balance.
The (now discontinued) Moto G (first gen), an extremely popular phone in India, had 4.5" screen, and much superior specs for the price at that time. But the new Moto G held me up for getting it: 5 INCH SCREEN. I'd a 5" phone before, and it was just too big for my liking. Now sticking to anything less than 4.7".

But the best thing about phablets is this: a pocketable tablet with which calling is possible. Or to put it simply, the power of 2 devices in 1. That's the only reason phablets are popular. And for that they're a steal. And with low-cost phablets around (starting at Rs7999 for 6" phablets), though with poor specs, they are becoming more popular.

Took me an hour to write this 😂

Last edited:

walterg1

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a LG Volt which is 4.7. Great fit for me. Fits my hand and just as important fits comfortably in my front pocket even with a case on it.

crabbist

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I think 4.7 is a good size, for what I use my phone for I can't see much practicality in getting a bigger phone. Also, my jeans are too tight.

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
You know, people always talk about one handed control on their phones. They say it's great and that they like it. But when do you actually use your phone one handed in the first place? Even with a smaller screen, you're still going to use and want to use both hands.

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Having never got the hang of one-handed use on a touch screen phone, as long it fits in my pocket I'm not too fussed about how large it is.

Currently have a 4.5" screen but will most definitely be looking at a five incher plus next time around.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

12 inches

Posted via Android Central App

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
As I said on the, "do you miss smaller phone?," my ideal/limit is 5.2" but if done right like the LG G3, I can deal with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith