So hard choosing a new phone! Moto X, GN4, GS5

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, my next phone was going to be the BlackBerry Passport, but since it's an AT&T exclusive for who-knows-how-long, I'm looking to Android (I'm on Verizon). Have had all the major OS platforms, I just love my BB Q10 keyboard. Anyhow, I'm looking at the Moto X 2014, Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy S5. Wife has the original Moto X and she loves it. I had the GS3 for a while before my Q10 and many other Android devices before that.

I do have smaller hands and the size of the original Moto X was perfect for me, but it just doesn't look like there are any high end phones now in that size. Going to head to Verizon later today to see the new X. Hopefully they will have a Note 4 around to see as well.

Anyone have any missing deal-breaker features I'm not thinking of with these three choices? It's like choosing a meal at Cheesecake Factory. There are too many good choices and no matter what I pick, I'm going to always think I might have wanted a different one.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
The features of each device pulling me in it's direction are:

For the Note 4 - the S Pen - I think this would be fantastic to have, but would I really use it that much?

For the Galaxy S5, the water-resistance feature would be great.

For the Moto X - the voice actions and the basically-stock UI.

Good to have choices I guess!

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
The features of each device pulling me in it's direction are:

For the Note 4 - the S Pen - I think this would be fantastic to have, but would I really use it that much?

For the Galaxy S5, the water-resistance feature would be great.

For the Moto X - the voice actions and the basically-stock UI.

Good to have choices I guess!

I have a Note 3. The only thing I use the Spen for is screen shots.

Also for the record I think the Note lines is just a little too big. I'm looking to get something more like a Moto X. 5" ish I think is the perfect size.

Posted via Android Central App.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Now that we've confirmed there is no simultaneous voice and data on the Moto X on VZW, it's out of the running. What a stupid move by Motorola.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I think that's Big Reds fault isn't it?

Posted via Android Central App

It seems the Moto X is the only recently released device that can't do it on Verizon, so I would say Moto should have been sure to include the feature in the hardware. Either way, it's a deal breaker. Simultaneous voice and data is a must for me.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
It's coming to the Moto X in an update scheduled for the fall.

Given Verizon's history of updates, I would bet it will be January or later before seeing something. Getting an update within 3 months after release has probably never happened on vzw.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I should add that other than that missing function, the phone is awesome. Played with it for 20 minutes today at the store. What a screen!

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Given Verizon's history of updates, I would bet it will be January or later before seeing something. Getting an update within 3 months after release has probably never happened on vzw.

You must be unaware of the fact that the Verizon Moto X got Kit Kat less than three weeks after Google unveiled it last year. That's faster than some Nexus devices got it.

To this day, the Verizon Moto X remains one of the few phones as current as Android 4.4.4, and its been on 4.4.4 since July.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
You must be unaware of the fact that the Verizon Moto X got Kit Kat less than three weeks after Google unveiled it last year. That's faster than some Nexus devices got it.

To this day, the Verizon Moto X remains one of the few phones as current as Android 4.4.4, and its been on 4.4.4 since July.

I was not aware, thanks for that info. My wife has the 2013 X and loves it. Encouraging to know the new X may get quicker updates. Curious to read up on the reasons why it can't and how a software update will permit on today's LTE network.

shady28

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I was not aware, thanks for that info. My wife has the 2013 X and loves it. Encouraging to know the new X may get quicker updates. Curious to read up on the reasons why it can't and how a software update will permit on today's LTE network.

If you're on Verizon, might want to wait and see what their Droid lineup looks like. I just picked up the 2013 Moto X as I didn't like the large size of the new 2014 Moto X (was using an iPhone 5c, after I lost my 2013 Maxx earlier this year). I prefer the one-handed usability of the 2013 Moto X as well as the voice recognition + assist, but the Maxx could go two full days of moderate usage before needing a charge - and felt quite premium in the hand. Moto really hit a home run with their added features. Assist is terrific in that it silences my phone when I'm in a meeting, asks me if i want it to answer a phone call if it detects that I'm driving, and will read my texts to me while driving. As simple as they are, those kind of features you just can't find in the competition.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I have a Note 3. The only thing I use the Spen for is screen shots.

Also for the record I think the Note lines is just a little too big. I'm looking to get something more like a Moto X. 5" ish I think is the perfect size.

Posted via Android Central App.

If the note line is too big,then why is the green fruit company copying samsung?

joseinazusa

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
funny. I was about to start arguing that Moto X could do data and talk but I wanted did some googling first. WOW. I was thinking about trying to Moto X 2014 but without data and talk without Advanced Calling (on verizon), hell no.

Listen, for me VZW is the only choice, the lesser of the evils (I really have bad coverage with the other carriers in my area).

With that said VoLTE (Advanced Calling 1.0) which is part of Moto X 2014 for Sim. Data and Talk SUCKS!. Nothing but bad calls, and dropped calls. Tried the service with an iPhone 6 for 1 week on my business line. Bad call to use feature exclusively for the Moto X 2014.

IMHO:
Moto X (1st Gen) Love it - Camera Sucks, slow, bluetooth glitches when locking and unlocking screen.

I ended up getting the S5, because it is the smallest android phone on Verizon, that had all I needed.
1. Good Photos
2. Wireless Charging (thin add on cover)
3. 4.4 with upgrade path
4. Verizon
5. With Google Search, have voice search from lock
6. Fast Processor
7. expandable memory

Also compared to the new Moto X, there is a feature called one-handed operation, which minimizes the screen after a gesture. Which lets you do things one handed.

I love Moto X and would have gotten the Moto X 2014, but with no LTE/CDMA, Questionable Battery, Larger Size, their was more against it. I will keep an eye on the Droid Line, because sometimes there is a phone in there that is pretty good.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
funny. I was about to start arguing that Moto X could do data and talk but I wanted did some googling first. WOW. I was thinking about trying to Moto X 2014 but without data and talk without Advanced Calling (on verizon), hell no.

Listen, for me VZW is the only choice, the lesser of the evils (I really have bad coverage with the other carriers in my area).

With that said VoLTE (Advanced Calling 1.0) which is part of Moto X 2014 for Sim. Data and Talk SUCKS!. Nothing but bad calls, and dropped calls. Tried the service with an iPhone 6 for 1 week on my business line. Bad call to use feature exclusively for the Moto X 2014.

IMHO:
Moto X (1st Gen) Love it - Camera Sucks, slow, bluetooth glitches when locking and unlocking screen.

I ended up getting the S5, because it is the smallest android phone on Verizon, that had all I needed.
1. Good Photos
2. Wireless Charging (thin add on cover)
3. 4.4 with upgrade path
4. Verizon
5. With Google Search, have voice search from lock
6. Fast Processor
7. expandable memory

Also compared to the new Moto X, there is a feature called one-handed operation, which minimizes the screen after a gesture. Which lets you do things one handed.

I love Moto X and would have gotten the Moto X 2014, but with no LTE/CDMA, Questionable Battery, Larger Size, their was more against it. I will keep an eye on the Droid Line, because sometimes there is a phone in there that is pretty good.

Exactly. All of it.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
It's coming to the Moto X in an update scheduled for the fall.

I'm learning a bit more about Advanced Calling 1.0, which is just VoLTE. It requires that both parties on the call are on Verizon's VoLTE network with compatible phones, so even when the X gets the functionality, the ability to have simultaneous voice and data will be very limited.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781