Does any tablet let you adjust display

barth2

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Pretty much the cheapest computer monitors have brightness contrast and color temp adjustment. High end phones and tablets have displays that are better than most monitors and yet the only thing that you can adjust is the backlight. I would like to adjust the color temp which tends to be a little too blue for my taste, especially at night.

I'm using screen filter apps to do this but they work by reducing blue levels which makes gray turn into brown. Also they use up battery and interfere with some apps

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I found some discussion on calibrating the screen on android tablets on another forum. It doesn't look easy however and requires installation of special program(s) and drivers and detailed efforts on your part. I wouldn't tackle it.

barth2

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Oh I've tried all those apps. I'm not happy with them that's why I asked the question.

The problem is the only thing these apps can do is filter the colors. To make the screen less blue, they just decrease all the blue values. This makes white warmer and yellowish which is good for easing eye strain, but it also turns grays and near blacks into browns, which I hate. Also my video performance which is already laggy takes a further hit. To do this properly requires hardware access which is not practical due to the number of android devices. Which is why this is something the device makers need to support.

Ironically iOS has it better in this case. F.lux works great. It can make the display as warm as you like without making gray and black turn into brown. Unless you turn it up really high you won't even be aware it is on. It does this with hardware control, which is possible since there is only a few iOS devices. Only catch is you need to jailbreak.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I know definitely Samsung tablets will. I haven't used any recent Sony stuff, but I know they have an option as well. I have used the LG G3 and it let me adjust color if I remember correctly, so maybe their tablet will(?).