Future of Smartphones

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
What is the future of smartphone technology? Is there ever going to come a day when a person is able to buy any phone that they want and use it on any carrier? Then the person can install any Operating System on it.

Imagine an iPhone running Android or Windows. Or a nexus phone running iOS.

I am hoping that this may be possible in the near future. I guess that would mean that Apple and Google working together. Which may be hard to imagine.

I would love to go buy any smartphone I want and then flash any OS on it that I want.

There was a slight taste of this when a test version of Ubuntu could be installed on the Galaxy Nexus a couple of years ago.

You can already buy a PC and install any OS on it,with the exception of OS X. So, generally all that needs to happen is for Apple to release their software as open source. I know the likelihood of this happening one day seems slim but one can always dream.

What does everyone else think of the possibility of this happening?

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't think this will ever happen. There is a reason things are like they are.
It would be cool for one phone to run any operating system and work on any carrier, but it wouldn't make financial sense for the companies

Posted via the Android Central App with my Galaxy S5

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't think this will ever happen. There is a reason things are like they are.
It would be cool for one phone to run any operating system and work on any carrier, but it wouldn't make financial sense for the companies

If you want to think about the technology in the future, think about the future of the actual technology such as displays and processors

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't see this ever happening.
Apple is a design company that wants complete control over it's UX, and that includes the hardware.

I think MS has enough of a love/hate relationship w/ Google that they will never embrace either.

You can get a darn nice phone whether it runs Android, iOS or WP.
Do you think Tizen will make a splash?
What about Amazon's fork of Android?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
That will never happen. Why? Licenses, patents, and different revenue models is what will stop that from ever happening.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
It will never happen, Apple sued the company Psystar to bankruptcy for selling machines with MacOS installed, they will fight to the death to have full control their software and ecosystem. Just look at the amount of litigation they are engaged in within the mobile space.

Anyway, it is technologically feasible and not that hard. All the PCs are running Intel chips, there are hackingtosh. All these phones are running ARM chips with modifications.

Is there ever going to come a day when a person is able to buy any phone that they want and use it on any carrier?
You already can with the Nexus 5. The hardware is compatible with Verizon network, however Verizon won't allow it on their network. It have a lot to do with standardizing as well. First, CDMA have to go. And the VoLTE is a right step. IMO net neutrality is important, but I'm not really optimistic about the FCC as some people are, they are just susceptible to lobbying and corruption like any other govt organization.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar