At what point did you become an Android/technology geek?

cjohn4043

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
What point did you become an Android/technology geek? For me, the first time Steve Jobs unveiled the iPhone in 2007 sparked my interests in mobile technology. Specifically the iPhone at the time. However, when I heard about the OG Droid, the ideas behind Android excited me. I finally got a Droid X when my contract expired and my interest in technology has grown since. Cars, TV's, phones, tablets, Apple, Google...really just about anything. What about for you?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The HTC Hero did it for me. Being on Sprint the iPhone was not an option, at the time. I was soon fascinated by anything mobile, including webos devices.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
This may seem kinda lame to most but oh well. I was an iPhone user up to the iPhone 4. I had never tried any Android devices or done any research about them at all. I ended up trying out a friends Droid X2 from Verizon for about a week. I always used Google Maps on my iPhone so I ended up opening Google Maps on the Droid X2 and putting in a location to travel too. Now, on the iPhone it gave you the route but no turn by turn voice navigation. When I heard the turn by turn voice navigation on the Droid I was in love. The fact that the iPhone, at the time, didn't have this feature from the same application made me wonder what else I was missing by not being/using an Android device. Since then I have always been an Android user and still prefer Android to iOS. Even today Android can still do so much more then iOS.

Smply_Rcklss

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Mine was the original Evo 4G. I found this forum & ppl helped w customing & discovering new things I never knew u could do w a phone. I learned how to root & it's been happy sailing since.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Droid 1. There was nothing else like it at the time...even the Nexus 1 was lacking in some areas by comparison.

Built like a tank, great gradients on the high res (for the time) display. Nice camera. SD support and removable battery. Good CPU for it's time. Vanilla Android OS. It's only Achilles heel was memory...250MB of RAM and 128MB internal storage were just not enough. Even with those limitations it was very cool though.

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I become an android "geek" persay when my senior year of college we had to do our senior presentations, where we would choose a topic in our field (mine was computer science), so naturally I went programming in mind. Ended up doing a lot of research about Android programming and ever since then I really have committed with their devices. After I got a phone upgrade, I gave my father my older phone, and now he is a DROID user too! :) Big upgrade from the flip phones.

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
When I got my GS4, I was like this is awesome. And then I became addicted to tech and such. I've had technology before that, but it wasn't the same

Posted via the Android Central App with my Galaxy S5

dougdraws

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I used to be a devoted land line user. I had no desire or intention of ever owning a cell phone. Then one day my buddy talked me into jumping on the cell phone bandwagon. I thought what the heck and signed up with Sprint. This was back in the day so I got a Motorola cell phone, which was this little clam shell device with a pull up antenna. I wasn't too thrilled with the thing so I tried a couple others, but none of them satisfied me and so I got out of my Sprint contract and went back to being a land line user.

Jump ahead a few years and that same buddy got himself a new Android phone. Being a gadget lover like me that's all he could talk about, but I still wasn't sold. Then me and my fiance broke up and for some reason she couldn't stand to see me without a phone—a cell phone, that is (I guess by this time land lines were no longer considered "real" phones). She bought me a small LG 102 with Boost as the carrier. I used that one for a while, but I got tired of pressing "ABC-DEF..." to write text messages. Then I bought a Kyocera Hydro, which was my first "smart" phone. I could now write text messages on a virtual keyboard instead of it taking an hour to write three words on the LG one.

Eventually the Hydro became my main phone and under the constant bragging of my friend who now had an iPhone I decided it was time to upgrade. That's when the Moto G came out on Boost and after researching about it I started to mentally drool over the idea of having one. I was out driving one day and passed a Boost store and so I pulled in and went inside. The guy showed me the Moto G and all I had to do was hold the thing in my hands and I instantly fell in love. He asked what I wanted from a phone and I told him all I cared about was good reception and call clarity. He informed me that generally Motorola phones had the best antennas and then he grinned and announced, "It's only $139!"

I was sold and I've been using the Moto G ever since. :)

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I switched to Sprint back in 2010 so that I could get my first smart phone (I got a great discount from work). I wanted an iPhone but Sprint didn't have offer it back then so I got a Samsung Moment. It was Samsung's first Android device but it was kind of a piece of junk, although the camera was pretty good for 3 megapixels. I had several defective units so eventually Sprint let me try a HTC Hero instead. I think it was then that I finally started to like Android. A few months later I sold it on local classifieds and bought a HTC Evo. From then until today I have been an Android addict. I learned to root and rom. I tried Cyanogenmod and fell in love with stock Android. I learned to customize everything and tweak things. Eventually I began to realize that I liked Android more than iOS. I sold my iPad and iPod touches and bought Android tablets. I got an iPhone 5 for a little bit but realized that it just didn't do the things I wanted it to do, like Android did. I really like what Android has become.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Was a geek before Android. I knew about rooting before I know what Android is, so I rooted the first Android device I owned (LG Optimus), probably from the first day of owning it.

Worse mistake I made buying phones was my first smartphone purchase, getting the HTC TouchPro2 for $350 under contract instead of the HTC Hero for $199, that probably would have given me a head start with Android.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I started before Android also. I guess my first smartphone was the iPaq 6315. That was how I learned of XDA developers and started modding. Of course once Android was announced I had to have the original device, the G1. XDA didn't have an Android forum at the time it came out but that changed fast.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I think it was the hTc Desire or EVO HD, can't remember my boy at work introduced me to android. I can't say I was really sold on it because I was going back-and-forth between BlackBerry & iPhone as well.

It was coldfusTion's video that really got me into android.

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I was never one for fancy bells and whistles on my cell phones for the first 7 years I had them. I liked upgrading, but I would still get the free or under $50 flip phones. A couple of my close friends became sign language interpreters, many of their clients used Sidekicks, so they got Sidekicks themselves. One night I was at a bar with them and I told one about a website I thought she'd like. She whipped out her Sidekick and wrote it down in her note app. THAT'S what did it for me. One lone note app. I went to T-Mobile the next day and picked up my own Sidekick 3. I went across the street to Taco Bell and started setting everything up and playing around. I couldn't believe what all I had on my fingertips. A browser that actually worked! IM that didn't freeze! EMAIL!!! A weather app! I could change my notification tones based on the app! The camera wasn't very good, but it sure beat the cameras on my flip phones. I was like a kid in a candy store. I loved my Sidekick! Within a few months I learned that a new and improved Sidekick was coming out, so of course I had to get that.

I used Sidekicks until the Great Sidekick Outage of 2009. Then it came time to choose a new platform. I had it narrowed down between the BlackBerry 9700 and the Motorola Cliq. I ultimately decided on the 9700, and honestly at first it seemed like a downgrade to my Sidekicks. Between getting used to a more cramped keyboard, getting used to a different way to navigate around the OS, to the spinning clock, to battery pulls, it just had a steep learning curve. However, there was something endearing about BlackBerry, and it still holds a place in my heart (I currently have a Z10 I like to play around on).

When I decided I had had enough of my BlackBerry and the lags, memory leaks, and tiny screen it was time to research my next device. I decided I wanted the best Android available on T-Mobile at the time. That happened to be the Samsung Vibrant. When I got it, I had that kid in a candy store feeling again. The screen looked amazing (again, at that time), I had so many more apps available to me, the browser was WORLDS better, and I noticed the OS had some similarities to the Danger OS on the Sidekick (Andy Rubin helped develop both) so it felt like I was coming home.

I've been on Android as my daily driver ever since. Now, my love is in tinkering. I've had many different devices from different manufacturers, and I love all the different features and takes on various functions that each manufacturer skin provides.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
My first Android device wasn't a phone. It was the original B&N Nook Color which I bought specifically to root after hearing about the exploit on that device. I think I put CM7 on it.

First phone was the HTC Inspire 4G. Looking back, rooting those devices was so much more "involved" and trickier to pull off then more recent devices.

Sent from my Nokia 909 using Tapatalk

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
The og droid I remember going into a verizon store and checking it out I wanted it bad but was tight on $

Posted via Nexus 7 2013 or verizon Galaxy S5 or maybe one day through my moto 360

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
It started for me 5 years ago when I ditched my BB for the original Moto Droid. Joined AC right after picking the phone up at Verizon and fell in love with Android and have never looked back. Since then I've spent 1000 of hours geeking out here and other forums customizing a ton of different phones and just enjoying the conversation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital