What would it take for you to switch to Dual Core

dougstrickland

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
There is a lot of talk about the new Tegra2 dual core processor that is planned for smartphones next year, but is it enough to get you to buy a new phone?

What would it take for YOU?

Personally I think that the battery life is very promising, but I also think that applications could be (re)written to leverage the processing power and take mobile up a notch. Thoughts? Opinions?

Last edited:

JustLeft

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
An application that would make use of the horsepower. For instance, a phone that understands voice commands and has all the information to interpret the voice commands on the phone, no internet connection required.

I am not talking about the limited voice commands that we see now.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Same here. Release it, have a working Blueteeth implementation that does not require turning the device off/on once a day to ensure it works and a decent keyboard - hardware or screen - just a decent keyboard.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I think I've gotten past the point where I need to have the most recent hot specs..... I'd want to see what the features / benefits are before I jump on something just because it says "dual core".

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
A reason to have it. Currently there is not a single need of mine to have a dual core processor in my phone. The new generation of snapdragons are really nice in my G2 and performance is what I expect from a smartphone. I can see it being more feasible on a tablet and can really take advantage of a dual core processor. Tegra 2 has been around for a year already and nobody has taken advantage of it really and I think they are waiting on the new Qualcomm chips that were announced a couple of days ago before we see dual core really take off.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Joelski

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Nail on the head. I won't upgrade until I see a compelling evolution of EVO. It has been a very satisfactory device IMO, and HTC as a relatively new player has my undivided attention. Talk of EVO becoming its own line of products will have us "screenies" anxiously waiting for more and how could a device with this kind of rep not make use of the best available technology?

All it would take for me is a phone that I want on Sprint to have it...hopefully and Evo 2 to replace my Evo.

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Didn't want to start my own topic on this - I am planning to upgrade soon before the next generation of hardware/CES etc. comes out. Personally, I don't see them invalidating the current gen of devices. Certainly more processing power is great if it doesn't sacrifice battery life, but what exactly will these devices be able to do that single-core phones cannot (that you'd actually want them to do)?

The processing power to decipher voice commands sans data is interesting for sure. For a tablet I can see wanting this and the Tegra2 chips, but I just can't see that it's really necessary at this point. Do they plan a 3D desktop etc. - if they try to make the UI more "fancy" they'll be just as "snappy" as phones today. I guess I'm wondering if they are just doing it because they can and it'll sell phones.

Has Google pushed for the hardware to make this leap?

PSYCHOTRON_CB

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
yea im in the market for a new android phone & i hope sprint will carry a tegra2 phone with a slide out keyboard. Maybe a phone for all carriers unlocked or whatever hehe.

Raptor

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm locked in through June of 2012 so I have some time to ponder...

I expect dual core to be mature by then and we'll see a number of phones with 5 inch screens and hopefully some of those will really up the resolution. I would love a 5 inch phone with 1920x1200 resolution and expect to see such a beast but probably not by then. In the mean time my Evo is working nicely...

Brian

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
First and foremost I want to see how Android adapts to dual-core going forward. There’s still a lot of speculation (deserving or not) as to how dual-core ready Android really is, but it’s going to be one of those things that will have to be learned the hard way. My biggest concern is the affect on battery life, but seeing as how processors are becoming more and more power efficient, so much so that 3G/4G is the main culprit, I can mostly look past this concern.

PSYCHOTRON_CB

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
My contract has been up on Sprint a while now but i cant make up my mind weather to wait or upgrade to lets say a epic 4g or somthing. That HTC speedy is interesting as well. But as somone who is a major fan of tuning computer hardware & overclocking, the dual core really speaks to me and would have more potential to last alot longer due to its hardware.
My mind says to wait a couple months but im itching for a new phone badly hehe.

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Doubtful for me... ill have to see benchmarks for the dual core vs the snapdragon... its not JUST the processor that makes the phone. It's how EVERYTHING interacts... if its an Android phone... it better be an impressive kernel with a great balance of performance AND battery life. Otherwise it isn't worth dumping another 2,3, or 600 dollars on a new phone. My rooted Evo does EVERYTHING I need it to and then some. It better blow the Evo out of the water. In my opinion, if you'd jump all over a phone with a dual core processor just because its dual core.. you're probably not satisfied with your phone at all.

Besides... this will be 1st gen dual core...6 months from now there will be a dual core that smokes the current dual core and snapdragon. THEN ill move on from my Evo... till then I'm not budging unless I'm impressed by the benchmarks...

I suggest you eager beavers give it at least a few weeks...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair