What's Keeping Gingerbread?

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
It seems like every few days now this site is asking about gingerbread. Yea, we all want it, but cmon now, asking where is it where is it isn't going to make it appear any quicker, and without reporting any official information with these articles and posts, I'm unsure of what purpose they are serving with such frequency.

keilflex

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
id wait for hd, but be patient on that too. patience either way. but id wait. new **** has to get the ginger. im thinkin.

beez1717

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Guys, I just hope that all phones get gingerbread at the same time. I don't want even more fragmentation then what we already have.

Sent from my Droid

dreamtheater39

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
im guessing Samsung fcked up with the software compatibility with their hardware/customizations. Just like how screwed up the galaxy s is, when it comes to android implementation.....they sure have screwed up with the nexus s causing the delay!

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Maybe Google was testing the new Nexus S from Samsung and the Nexus' GPS couldn't get a lock (epic, captivate, fascinate gps problems) and got them lost in a honeycomb cereal box somewhere? That might be the reason why GB isn't done!

Paterick

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I am curious, do you think manufacturers have gingerbread now or is it just Google who has it? If Google has not released it to the manufacturers, I would think that it will be months before its released for phones other than the nexus one and S. Also, Adobe must has a version of it cause they released updates that made their stuff work with 2.3.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I said this about Froyo and I'll say it about Gingerbread, I would love to have the update soon but I'm not going to get myself hyped until I hear an official release date. At that point I will become very impatient and almost have a count-down to release day but then get let down horribly when it's pushed back :p

But seriously, I learned from my Blackberry days to only get excited when I hear "It's available for download right now" and not a minute sooner (or at least try not to get excited too soon).

Yes it is probably delayed for one of those reasons. Now we can start hearing all of the "I have no patience, Google needs to release it now cause I said so."

Then after they release we can hear all of the "Geeze this is so buggy, why didn't they hold the release until it was perfect."

I feel like I am on a Blizzard forum.

--
Sent on my EVO 4G with Tapatalk
That sounds like the CrackBerry forums too ;)

marrrio_

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm no expert, but I remember reading that when google releases an OS upgrade, they usually release a SDK to go with it for the developers to start tinkering and exploring all the new features of the OS. So I would expect to see a Gingerbread SDK released first, then maybe I'll start worrying about when Gingerbread will be released.

Definitely makes sense. This is exactly what they did with froyo, released the sdk for devs then waited a month and started the OTA...
Why do att nexus1's get the short end of the stick!?!?! i really want D

InvaderDJ

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I think we all need to step back a bit. Gingerbread isn't delayed or anything like it. In fact, we just got confirmation that it would be called Gingerbread and would be Android 2.3 (rather than 3.0) a few weeks back. And we still don't know what it will include besides NFC.

I think that Google is waiting for a flagship phone (whether it will launch running Gingerbread or not) before they announce it, tell us the feature list and make it available to the Nexus. Since at least 2.0 Google hasn't launched a new version of Android without it being combined with the release of a phone. Gingerbread is waiting to the Nexus S or some other phone.

I think we need to really curb our enthusiasm over Gingerbread. Based on the fact it is only 2.3 and by inferring some things Gingerbread won't be anything great. The only UI changes will be a black theme/notification bar. Gingerbread will more than likely be a polish and bug fix release with the biggest features probably not really being a part of the Gingerbread ROM (ie Google Music store and better Android Market). They are almost certainty fixing some things for higher resolution Android devices (ie tablets and phones with Retina Display type screens) and they may add GPU acceleration. I don't anticipate anything better than that. Which isn't a bad thing, because feature wise Android blows its mainstream competition out of the water, what Android needs is some polish and small features (like the ability to connect to ad hoc Wi-Fi, better Exchange support, stuff like that).

I'm eager for it, but this release won't be that huge.

siedkick

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
...If they push Gingerbread right on the heels of FRG83D you would see some reports of it happening already to those few who already report D was pushed to their phones (all of them todate have been T-Mo Nexus ones)...

Just got "D" sent to my AT&T Nexus One.

marrrio_

May 22, 2010
Visit site
My AT&T version nexus in Canada just got "D" 3 hours ago. Looks like I spoke a little too soon. Come on gingerbread announcement with sdk and release 3weeks later!! It'll definitely come the week of Christmas, guaranteed!!

dcviperboy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Snap diggity. So if AT&T Nexus One's got the D update, are there any N1s left out at this point in time? Obviously, the N1 will get the 2.3 update first, possibly at the same time as the NS (Nexus S) is released?