Textra has convinced me to stop using hangouts for SMS

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I was on board with SMS integration into Hangouts, but then I tried this app. Full Material Design, and it works beautifully.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=com.textra&hl=en&token=uS6cKO1q

THIS is what the native Android texting app should look like. Hangouts needs to follow this pattern. Fast, smooth, simple, and intuitive WITHOUT taking away options. You can still customize colors and text sizes and other stuff. I wish the app would do Gtalk as well.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I use ChompSMS and have never used another app for texting since then. ChompSMS is made by the same developers as textra.

Simple, fast, quick reply, and customization.. Awesome!

spydersilk

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I have been using textra for a couple months and really like it. Hello sms is nice too. I have a Galaxy s5 and the stock sms seems laggy to me

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I use the SMS App from Lollipop, it works on KitKat

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414959794681.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1414959794681.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 63
  • uploadfromtaptalk1414959802679.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1414959802679.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 63

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
The only reason I tend not to use some default google apps is the restrictions. It's why I don't use the default launcher.

I mam guessing you cannot change colors in the Lillipop text app? And there is no dark mode? Google seems to have gone the Apple direction in restricting choices like that. There is no dark mode in the new Gmail either.

Textra is as fast and smooth and clean as any Google app, but also has more options.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The only reason I tend not to use some default google apps is the restrictions. It's why I don't use the default launcher.

I mam guessing you cannot change colors in the Lillipop text app? And there is no dark mode? Google seems to have gone the Apple direction in restricting choices like that. There is no dark mode in the new Gmail either.

Textra is as fast and smooth and clean as any Google app, but also has more options.

True and I used Textra for a while, but I think the Lollipop messaging app looks nicer, and has less options.

Posted via the Android Central App

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Not knowing where to go to download it may be an issue.

Posted via the Android Central App

It's amazing how little some people who like the Android phones don't use the best search engine available to them. No disrespect to anyone here... But I see this all the time, not only on forums but in person too. It's similar to having to explain to some folks who have a Swiss army knife that they have a lot of neat things on it besides 1 blade........... Lol

Posted via Android Central App on my HTC M8

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
It's amazing how little some people who like the Android phones don't use the best search engine available to them. No disrespect to anyone here... But I see this all the time, not only on forums but in person too. It's similar to having to explain to some folks who have a Swiss army knife that they have a lot of neat things on it besides 1 blade........... Lol

Posted via Android Central App on my HTC M8
To be honest, all I did was google lollipop messenger apk. But I recognize some people may not be comfortable downloading an unknown apk from the web. I personally have been doing it for years, no issue.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
To be honest, all I did was google lollipop messenger apk. But I recognize some people may not be comfortable downloading an unknown apk from the web. I personally have been doing it for years, no issue.
I know, there are many different ways of getting apps not normally available, some from good places you can trust , some questionable places too, but it all starts with searching for it then researching how to get it on the phone.

The new Gmail, Maps, Calendar, SMS and a few other Android 5.0 items are readily available to download and have early. All without rooting or custom roms.... You gotta love it having the Swiss Army knife of smartphones....... Lol

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I know, there are many different ways of getting apps not normally available, some from good places you can trust , some questionable places too, but it all starts with searching for it then researching how to get it on the phone.

The new Gmail, Maps, Calendar, SMS and a few other Android 5.0 items are readily available to download and have early. All without rooting or custom roms.... You gotta love it having the Swiss Army knife of smartphones....... Lol

That is one thing I love about Android, is that I can replace any app on my phone with something else. I have been using the Lollipop messenger app for weeks now.

And if you check Android Police, you get the new apks for the new apps even sooner. That is what I have been doing.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
That is one thing I love about Android, is that I can replace any app on my phone with something else. I have been using the Lollipop messenger app for weeks now.

And if you check Android Police, you get the new apks for the new apps even sooner. That is what I have been doing.
Yup.. I even signed up for the push notifications for new ones on their site. It is sweet being able to have all the new goodies without having to root and rom the device nowadays.

The new calendar app is pretty cool too if you haven't tried it yet ...

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Yup.. I even signed up for the push notifications for new ones on their site. It is sweet being able to have all the new goodies without having to root and rom the device nowadays.

The new calendar app is pretty cool too if you haven't tried it yet ...

Already have it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415406788933.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1415406788933.png
    75.8 KB · Views: 28

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress