[q] Should roms block ads?

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious if people think it's ok for custom roms to block ads by default. That is the developer has placed code in their rom to block all requests to a specific set of web sites used to place ads in applications. Those ads help fund the development of those apps. Is it ok for a rom developer, who is asking for donations via paypal, to block ads (and deny income) for an app developer?

levelm

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely! Maybe app developers should rethink their income strategy. I am always willing to support a developer by purchasing an app, I however despise ads and avoid them at all costs. Kudos to developers who write code to block ads. I would much rather support the rom developer than an ad infested product anyday.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
It's my experience most people are cheap. They rather have the free version with ads than pay $1 or $2 for an app. I can say this because I am an app developer and can see that my free app has 14x as many active installs compared to the paid version.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I despise ads. I find some of them slow down my apps. If I have lagging apps I uninstall them.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.

Gee

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Blocks ads = block income = block Android app development.

With this attitude it's pretty obvious why the best developers are coding/designing for iOS.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

levelm

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Blocks ads = block income = block Android app development.

With this attitude it's pretty obvious why the best developers are coding/designing for iOS.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Then explain to me why Angry Birds on iOS has no ads! Your point is absolutely moot. Try again later. Thanks.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Then explain to me why Angry Birds on iOS has no ads! Your point is absolutely moot. Try again later. Thanks.

Angry birds is a paid app on iOS.

And there's no need to turn this ugly and get it closed. OP is a developer, trying to get info from users. Let's give him that opportunity.

voghan --
I use ad blocking. I also spend a lot of money in the market.

I'm not against the free w/ ads model, and thats not why i block ads.

The few apps that place ads on a paid version (and that I can't find a suitable replacement for) are the reason why. I understand it's not quite fair to the developers who don't practice this, but my selfish side wins this one.

levelm

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Angry birds is a paid app on iOS.

My point exactly. They were uber successful on iOS without the need for ads. Why are things so different with Android? They would have still had millions of downloads had they released Angry Birds on Android for $.99 but I guess that's why all the "best" developers are coding for iOS.

And there's no need to turn this ugly and get it closed. OP is a developer, trying to get info from users. Let's give him that opportunity.

My bad.

Gee

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
My point exactly. They were uber successful on iOS without the need for ads. Why are things so different with Android? They would have still had millions of downloads had they released Angry Birds on Android for $.99 but I guess that's why all the "best" developers are coding for iOS.
Simply put, more people buy paid apps on iOS. A combination of sub par paying options, hard to navigate market / discover quality apps, no paid apps in certain regions, etc. is what's holding back sales on Android.

So like I said, this attitude is why, well, you know.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I am OK with the ads, as long as they don't interfere with usability. If you are using an ad-blocking rom, you should be going through your app list and making donations to the developers of the apps you use. I also have spent about $20 on apps with no regrets.

Also, places like Android Central are largely ad-supported (AFAIK). I used to use ad block plus, but no more. I still use no script, but I white-list places I frequent. I also donate to things I often use.

Full disclosure: I am a developer, but not a mobile developer. I just have sympathy for them.

Things take time and money to develop. Wikipedia is begging for money. They don't serve ads. If you have not already, consider donating to them, if you use it. X-Marks may have a new lease on life, but it nearly shut down because it didn't have the funds to continue operating.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I hate ads. I hate them with a passion. I don't think there's anything wrong with ROMs that have ad blocking. The thing with me personally, I've spent over $50 on apps... I have NO problem purchasing a paid app instead of using the lite or Ad version. The problem is as others have said.. people are cheap. I've lost track with how many times people have asked for an app apk because they dont want to pay for an app so they can install it on their $200 phone. Seriously, if you can afford a $200 phone, you should be able to afford a 99 cent app. The other problem is I think people got too used to being able to use ad or lite versions. I think it's about time that developers just make paid apps and that's it. The % of paid apps for iOS is much higher than it is for Android, yet the developers are making tons of money on iOS. Why? Because there aren't many "lite" or "ad versions" of whatever app. I honestly don't even think there's a need for an ad version because of the return policy. Buy the app. You have 24 hours to love it or hate it and get a refund. It's that simple. I really feel bad for all these developers that get robbed by cheap ass people.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
ROMs should not block ads by default. If someone can load a custom ROM, they can load a custom hosts file. Love them or hate them, the ads are there as part of the mobile marketplace.

For similar reasons ROMs should not include the "free" version of apps that have pay versions. Doing so takes a "view/chance/purchase" opportunity from the developer away. I was glad to see some of the ROMs I follow state this.

Skatedawg

ROM Abuser
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
personally i think the current way of doing things for most developers is great. Free = With ads. Paid = Without Ads. It shows your support and you get ad free. Its a win win

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Jerzyiroc's point is well taken and I think makes a lot of sense. The return policy for Android is sufficient and gives you a lot of time to determine if the app is worth keeping.

Personally, I never click the ads placed on the free-version of the app. Do they bother me? No. Ads are there for a reason and it should be up to the consumer to determine if they want an ad-less paid version of the lite version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty