Pay with your phone, it's coming, someday....

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Pay with your phone, sounds nice, sounds interesting. But still a thing in the future. CurrentC has been hacked already, Google Wallet requires an good connection to the Internet, Apple, simply touch phone to pay pay and credit card info is not in the Cloud, it's kept on your phone.

The ideal is your phone becomes as easy and quick to use to pay at the check out as a credit card.

Me, I already have my phone in hand at the check out with, 'Key Ring', my Loyality Card bar codes. It would be doubly nice to take that to the next step and simply touch the phone to the Tap to Pay pad.

I have tried Google Wallet and out of ten times got it to work once at a McDonalds. I like that they added a place for Loyality Card bar codes. But unless each time you walk into a retail place, say a Grocery Store, you have to stop and figure out can you connect, is there store wifi, if yes, how can you hook up, if no, Does cellular service work inside the store, sometimes up near front windows but no back in Dairy.

From what I've read, I think I would at least prefer Apple system if they let it go to Android. I like that my info is not on the Cloud and it will get hacked, my info stays on my phone. The Cloud be damned! No one hacked any of my PCs in twenty years. Got Hacked at Target.

Anyway, right now it seems Apple has the best system yet.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Google wallet doesn't require a connection to make a payment. The only time a connection is required is to enter your pin, which is required once every 24 hours.

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Google wallet doesn't require a connection to make a payment. The only time a connection is required is to enter your pin, which is required once every 24 hours.

Does GW tell you that info in a brief intro of the basic's of operation? But that does lead into another operation one must perform, entering PIN every day. I will set it up and turn off WiFi and Cellular to see if it works without a connection.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Does GW tell you that info in a brief intro of the basic's of operation? But that does lead into another operation one must perform, entering PIN every day. I will set it up and turn off WiFi and Cellular to see if it works without a connection.

I'm not sure how (if at all) they explain that, but I use Wallet all the time and having a connection for tap & pay isn't necessary as long as you have your PIN already in (requires connection) and if you want details about the transaction afterwards that requires a connection. IMO Google needs to do a lot more to promote awareness of this app and knowledge of how/where/when to use it.

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure how (if at all) they explain that, . IMO Google needs to do a lot more to promote awareness of this app and knowledge of how/where/when to use it.

Absolutely, it feels like they aren't taking it serious. But there seems to be resistance from some retailers who want their own system. I'm reading many articles that I agree with in that all Tap N Pay needs to be universal, let consumers use what they like and gives them the most benefit.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I think it's funny when kids at my college see me buy stuff from the vending machines (have NFC readers and take debit/credit, etc) with my phone - for two reasons. 1. It means the marketing sucks if the kids don't know it is possible. 2. I always say, "in the future, all phones can do this".

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I think the biggest reason it hasn't taken off isn't technical or marketing, it's that tap to pay isn't really any more convenient than the alternatives. I reach into my pocket, I can pull out either my phone or my wallet with equal ease. So the question is, why would I pull out my phone? Until mobile payment systems have a good answer to that question, they're not going to get very far.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I think the biggest reason it hasn't taken off isn't technical or marketing, it's that tap to pay isn't really any more convenient than the alternatives. I reach into my pocket, I can pull out either my phone or my wallet with equal ease. So the question is, why would I pull out my phone? Until mobile payment systems have a good answer to that question, they're not going to get very far.

More security.

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
zorake950, yes, but if they can automatically yap pay plus at same time enter in a loyality cards bar code then for many the process is stream lined.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
More security.
What you gain in some areas you lose in others.

zorake950, yes, but if they can automatically yap pay plus at same time enter in a loyality cards bar code then for many the process is stream lined.
If you could, it still wouldn't matter much to most people. Assuming that both the merchant and your mobile pay service supported it, you'd save maybe five seconds tops at checkout, and only at places that used such programs and you were a member of their program.

The problem is that the kind of people who frequent these forums tend to be the kind of people who are looking for excuses to use new technologies. It's a completely different mindset from the general population. Most people aren't looking for reasons to switch; if anything they're looking for reasons not to switch. To become mainstream mobile payments can't just offer a few minor perks and fringe-case convenience, it has to make a case for being the thing to use, for everyone, everywhere. It has to be so good that it's painful not to use it.

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
What you gain in some areas you lose in others.

If you could, it still wouldn't matter much to most people. Assuming that both the merchant and your mobile pay service supported it, you'd save maybe five seconds tops at checkout, and only at places that used such programs and you were a member of their program.

The problem is that the kind of people who frequent these forums tend to be the kind of people who are looking for excuses to use new technologies. It's a completely different mindset from the general population. Most people aren't looking for reasons to switch; if anything they're looking for reasons not to switch. To become mainstream mobile payments can't just offer a few minor perks and fringe-case convenience, it has to make a case for being the thing to use, for everyone, everywhere. It has to be so good that it's painful not to use it.

I agree, it has to be second nature, a long time ago with the first commercial uses of cheap and tiny RFD tags, it was suggested that all items in a store would have a Tag and you simply ran your cart past a reader where every item in the cart would automatically register and you would have a device where your personal Tag projected your account, so all at once you were billed, you didn't even stop, you took your cart right to your car to tke home.

Last edited:

Ad999

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
One up side is at the end of the month you can report how well you stayed within your budget or where you need to trim back spending. All the data entry is already done. Sure are lots of folks flashing the phone at Starbucks drivethru...clerk needs to scan it with a barcode reader. Least I assume that is what the clerk is waving at the phone. The future is now when it come to caffine addicts.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
But the chance of losing phone is bigger than losing credit card. And I can go to bank, block my CC and get new, it's simple.
You can do the same thing if your phone gets stolen, but the idea is you won't even have to because they can't actually access your card information.

NikasN94G

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
But getting a new credit card cost less than getting new phone. :)
And one more thing - WHY people need so much things like pay with your phone? For me it's just stupid. For things like that there are normal money, credit cards etc. XXI century, derp.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1