Tech websites you visit

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious as to what general tech websites (i.e. non-Android specific) that people visit.

I usually peruse Ars Technica, Anandtech, and The Verge. Ars and Anand have more technical articles. The Verge is broader and generally has good articles, but I find that their heavy fawning over anything Apple is a bit annoying.

Any other recommendations for good, neutral tech websites?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I like ZDNet, because they don't have as much fluff. Still check out PCMag and PC World, although less often than before. Engadget and Gizmodo are ok, but a bit too broad for my taste. I agree that The Verge seems a tad biased towards Cupertino.

JohnBoy412

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I usually visit Engadget and Gizmodo , but they are definitely not the greatest tech websites out.
Also visit a couple of non-english tech sites which are usually better (less biased) but sometimes lack in their abilities to get the newest tech the fastest or before it is realized.

rews

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
None specific anymore. I find it more convenient to use apps that aggregate tech news from all the major outlets. Flipboard, Feedly, Google + etc.

It's only when I'm looking for something specific in mind that I'll go to a website in particular

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
None specific anymore. I find it more convenient to use apps that aggregate tech news from all the major outlets. Flipboard, Feedly, Google + etc.

It's only when I'm looking for something specific in mind that I'll go to a website in particular

I use Flipboard as well, though I find that their are duplicates of the same topic, especially around big releases. However, the variety of content is great.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I like ZDNet, because they don't have as much fluff. Still check out PCMag and PC World, although less often than before. Engadget and Gizmodo are ok, but a bit too broad for my taste. I agree that The Verge seems a tad biased towards Cupertino.

I think people throw at the word bias without actually knowing what it means. If they like apple stuff, that doesn't make them bias. Apple usually makes great stuff, shouldn't that be rewarded by good reviews? They've given great reviews to android devices plenty of times.

Are we just mad that they aren't "biased" to the things we like? I'd argue then if we consider the verge biased to Apple then we should consider people on this board and site biased to google and android.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think people throw at the word bias without actually knowing what it means. If they like apple stuff, that doesn't make them bias. Apple usually makes great stuff, shouldn't that be rewarded by good reviews? They've given great reviews to android devices plenty of times.

Are we just mad that they aren't "biased" to the things we like? I'd argue then if we consider the verge biased to Apple then we should consider people on this board and site biased to google and android.

I don't think I'm throwing the word bias around, and I do know what it means. I said they're "a tad" biased, not ridiculously slanted. I feel that they have a history of somewhat unreasonable critiques of Android and Android devices, while underplaying significant negative issues with Apple and Apple devices. Do I think they're shills for Apple? Of course not. They do have positive articles of Android and critiques of Apple as well. And I do read articles there, because I do find interesting stuff there. But the overall feel that I get is that they are significantly more enthusiastic about Apple devices.

The big difference between Android Central and The Verge is that with AC, the warning label is on the box--this is an Android site, for Android enthusiasts. The Verge isn't "iVerge"--they presume to be a general tech site. I would point out that in general, the official articles on AC contain very little to no overt criticism of Apple--just a few good-natured digs--and the writing staff pulls no punches when it finds something to dislike about Android itself or a given device. Rampant Apple-bashing is also relatively absent from the forums, thanks to the diligent work of our Moderators. You won't find that on many other Android forums, believe me.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I agree with the bolded. This site is androidcentral.

Some bias is to be expected.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Android Central (obviously), Anandtech, arstechnica, The Verge, /r/android and /r/apple. Everything else I only go to if it gets linked/shared.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I use to swear by CNET but lately this year they been adding much stupid weird news that is not even worthy of tech news however I do go to there Youtube channel to watch video review of products. I mainly go to this site (mostly forums) and your competitor Android Authority (not the forums as they are dead there) and when I do want to keep up with Apple news for curiosity I go to MacRumors.

Ivy Lin

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
I like to visit Appleinsider. It's kind of a crazy place but at least one hilariously over the top comment will be made per thread.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious as to what general tech websites (i.e. non-Android specific) that people visit.

I usually peruse Ars Technica, Anandtech, and The Verge. Ars and Anand have more technical articles. The Verge is broader and generally has good articles, but I find that their heavy fawning over anything Apple is a bit annoying.

Any other recommendations for good, neutral tech websites?

iMore
Android Central
Ars Technica
Anandtech
The Verge (I can agree they appear to have a slight tilt toward Apple but I happen to enjoy reading their stories and generally agree with their reviews so it doesn't bother me. It was their review of the 2013 Moto X that convinced me to buy it.)

From time to time I might check out some of the other big name ones to compare reviews and stuff.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
A little curveball... The non-Android sites I've been going to most often are Phonearena & Gsmarena. As part of my recent search for my next phone, I tried to read/watch as many 'reputable' reviews as I could for the top phones that I considered, and I thought that those two sites were the best ones I came across for phone reviews.

And yes, I absolutely saw a lot of bias on certain sites for/against certain phones! Sure, some reviewers will state their personal preferences, but when they criticize subjective factors about a phone using subjective criteria but then try to play it off as objective analysis, that's bias!