Do you want a 2k or 4k display phone?

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
So is the new fad toward 2k and 4k displays on smartphones an actually useful feature people want in smartphones, or are OEMs just desperate to find something, ANYTHING, to gain leverage in the spec wars? Can anyone REALLY tell the difference between 1920 x 1080 and 2560 x 1440 on a 5-inch screen? Or does 1440p on such a small screen do nothing but drain the battery faster?

My Galaxy S3 "only" has a 720p screen at 316 ppi and my Nexus 7 "only" has a 1920 x 1200 display at 323 ppi. I seriously cant see any pixels on either device. I think a high res display would only make a difference on a screen larger than 8 inches. But even then, I used to be disappointed that the Nexus 9 "only" has a 2048 x 1536 display (288 ppi) but when I held an N9 in person the screen looked great. So why do we need phones with 2560 x 1440 displays?

I assume a thread like this has already been posted before, so sorry if that's the case.

Posted via the Android Central App

grosssmutttr

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
It is purely not necessary to release a phone with 4k...the human eye can't recognize it on a small screen like a smartphone screen...so it is really only marketing [language removed by Moderator] :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Minisaur

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
We don't really need them. It's mostly Spec wars. Although a higher resolution might sound like an improvement, the human eye stops being able to see individual pixels after a certain point – and after that, increasing the resolution won't really do anything! :) According to Apple, that is 326 PPI for a smartphone, although someone says that people with really good vison can see up to 600 PPI.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
For a 5.5+ inch device I suppose it's noticeable, but for anything less 1080p is perfectly fine. Having higher resolution than that is potentially a nice bonus, but it's not really worth taking a hit to performance and battery life in my opinion.

barth2

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I think ~300 dpi is good enough. More than that it's marketing and people trying to justify their purchase ("but I can see it's sharper if I look real close")

lkbig

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Frankly I like Sony's approach and stopping at 1080p. That leaves more head room for the graphics processor and saves on battery life.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

rews

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Frankly I like Sony's approach and stopping at 1080p. That leaves more head room for the graphics processor and saves on battery life.

Totally agree. Right now there's a big disparity between the evolution of smartphone technology and battery technology. But besides that, I find the people who are slobbering over resolution that advanced on such a puny screen somewhat silly.

mrjspeed

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I pretty much agree with everyone... 4K is way excessive for normal phone use.

However, I recently got a Google Cardboard kit (well a pre-assembled plastic one, but still the same idea) to turn my phone into a VR headset. When I use my Moto X (1080p) with it, I can definitely discern individual pixels. Having a 4K display would make that experience much nicer. An edge-case for most people, but at least one example where 4K would be useful.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
At 6 inches and below, nope.

Give me 280 to 350 PPI. ..all I need.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well people are complaining about stutter issues (encryption aside) and not great battery life with the Nexus 6.

Then they are misguided. Granted, I don't slam video and heavy 3D gaming through mine, but I can get a FULL day (as in 24 hours) and a good 5 to 6 hours of screen time per charge (which rarely happens as I'm not on my phone that much most of the time). I'm not going to concern myself much until that 24/5 number doubles.

But...

As for the display... my last two phones had QHD (G3 and Nexus 6) and I owned a Nexus 5 previously. I've shown off the Nexus 6 to plenty of people... with S5's, M8's, iPhones... all manners of dispay and they all immediately remark at how sharp the display looks. Now, it's not like 1080s are junk... they aren't. In fact, they all look quite nice and by no means substandard. My Nexus 5 looked great. But when you drop a display that's bigger AND sharper, you notice. It's like noticing a subtle difference in sound quality between a good recording and one that's been compressed a bit.

Granted, it was more apparent on my G3 due to the higher pixel density, but really fine text on my Nexus 6 does look a bit better than the same text on my Nexus 5. Only a fool would point at the 'lower' resolution screen and say its crappy though.

Do you NEED that high a resolution on a small screen? Hell no... we don't even need 1080 displays for that matter. Phone performance has passed the point where they had fundamental issues (I'd peg the Galaxy SIII generation). Now we're just running up the score. Extremely fine displays, blazing procs, gigs upon gigs of storage....

But I got a QHD screen it because I could. :)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
My feeling about screen resolution is that the difference has to

a) be tangible
b) be worth any negative affect on graphics performance and battery life.

Based on what I see on my Note 4 I'm doubtful that a move to a 4K screen at <= 6" will be a) and pretty sure it won't be b). Moving from the Note 3's screen to the Note 4's is nice but certainly not dramatic me. ...definitely not like the move from 1280x800 to 1920x1080 was. ...that whole 'Retina' philoso.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

Trust me Sony just used that as an excuse, the Z3 has little difference from the Z2 and probably only came out because of the fact that Sony follows a 6 month flagship release cycle.

The Z4 will most definitely be 2K, and all of what Sony said in the past would be nullified.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo