Files renamed and jumbled

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I have a folder on my Windows 7 computer containing six other folders of lectures in MP3 format. These are carefully named and in sequential order.
When transferred to Galaxy S2, they are somehow all renamed [unrecognizable] and thrown out of order. It looks like folders can't be used in android.
I really need some order to this. I need to retain the naming of each file that I made on my computer.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
What did you use to move them from your computer to the phone? Android certainly supports folders and moving the files while keeping the names and folder structure on the phone should not be an issue.

However, if your phone or your computer drive is encrypted, that might be why you're seeing the garbled names. For instance, if your phone is encrypted, trying to see the contents in your computer without decrypting it first would result in a list of files with random names.

Netforza

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
What characters are you using in your file and folder names?
I think there should be no spaces in the names. But it also can be related to encryption.

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey, thanks! I just dragged and dropped em from a Windows Exporer window. I'm having the exact same problem with a Sandisk MP3 player also. I can open that player up when it's connected to my computer - and everything looks perfect - just as I first copied it from Windows. But on the player itself, the MP3 files are mysteriously renamed and all jumbled up. Not using any special characters, no encryption anywhere as far as I know.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like your computer might be encryptying these somehow. Even with the jumbled file names, can you still access the files from the phone or the MP3 player?

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
This is so weird. I can access the files, but they're all mixed up with incoherent names. My MP3 player says that I can make a M3U playlist and they'll show up in the Playlist folder. That does work. One thing - both on Android and on the player - lecture 11 is played after lecture 1; 12 is payed next, and then lecture 2, 3, 4...How to get this right.

Netforza

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Could also be related to the Samsung USB drivers.
Try updating them.
I remember having a similar problem with my Galaxy S 1. But it was a very long time ago so I don't remember how I solved it.

Did you try using Samsung Kies to copy the files?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon