Getting too picky

atatistcheff

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm posting this to get some thoughts on my next phone. I've been using Android phones since the G1 and lately have been somewhat of a "get the latest thing" guy. Rarely have I owned a phone more than a year. Currently I still have the Nexus 5. Here's my problem - I don't like big phones. The Nexus 5 is just about the right size, I could maybe go with a 5.2 inch but the 5.5's and up are just too much. I bought an LG G3 the day it was available on T-Mobile thinking it would be my next favorite. However, after using it for about 6 weeks I just could not stomach the size and the fact that I could virtually never use it one handed. It's too bad because other than the size I liked everything about it, software, camera, speed, everything.

From there I tried the Samsung Galaxy S5. While it's slightly smaller it's really no easier to hold. I was thinking the Samsung software extras would be nice but it has been a disappointment. The UI lag is terrible, this even though I'm using the Nova launcher. I just can't believe there is lag in a 2014 flagship phone - reminds me of my G1 or Samsung Galaxy S days. Plus that hardware home button - seriously? Anyway, the S5 is out.

So I'm back to the Nexus 5. If just feels right. Problem is of course, the battery life is crap. Oh, and it's a year old now. But I still really like it especially the form factor.

This thread really is a question, my question is are there any phones out there that fall in the 5 inch to 5.2 inch size that I should be looking at? Sadly it seems like for a vendor to make a flagship phone nowadays they have to make it a phablet. What am I missing? Looking for suggestions.

Thanks for wading through my rambling.

Aj Irawan

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Try to look into Moto G or Moto X if you want something with no lag, i've heard good things about them and they have decent battery life.

Posted via the Android Central App

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Moto X 2014 would be a good fit for you I think. Also if you don't mind going a little smaller, I've been hearing good things about the Sony Z3 Compact. I feel the same way about phone size. I'm currently using a Galaxy Alpha. The size is wonderful, but I know you don't care for TouchWiz.

Kaiser Droid

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Depending on what your necessities are and how they rank, e.g. camera, battery life, display quality, expandable storage, ect..

Have you tried out an LG G2, it has a 5.2" screen, is very compact and is an overall great phone - lacks expandable storage though. If you can handle a 5.2" phone maybe try out the 2014 Moto X, Droid Turbo, and Sony Xperia Z3 (if compatible with your carrier, don't waste time with the Z3v if you're on Verizon, IMO) as well. If you still want something smaller that is compact with a great in-hand feel and can make some compromises in camera quality, display resolution, and no expandable storage then try out the 2013 Moto X, but if you can get the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact on your carrier definitely check it out, from what I've read it's probably the best small form-factor phone right now.

All the aforementioned phones run quite smooth from what I've read, and of course Motorola's UI is pretty close to stock, just a bit better, Sony's UI isn't terribly far removed from stock, and LG's is definitely it's own look - but with a G2 it'd be pretty similar to the G3 you owned. Also, all the aforementioned phones will be getting some form of Lollipop in the next few months. :cool:

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
If you want a powerful hand friendly phone, go get a Sony xperia z3 compact. I've been pushing this phone, not just because I have one but because it really is that good. I had a Moto x 2014 and returned it because it was still too wide for me. I'm pleasantly surprised with this phone. First Sony but it has a light skin, it has a great camara with dedicated button, excellent battery life with stamina modes, small widgets, beautiful screen.. yes at 720p the screen looks GOOD! Water/dust proof, front facing speakers, powerful 801 processor.. this thing flies! And it fits in my small pocketed jeans. I think this phone is what the iPhone WAS.. before IT even got too big as far as comfort. If you haven't gathered yet, I'm VERY happy with this line and hope they always make them.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited: