Upgrading my mom's ancient flip phone - Need some feedback please.

Bianca Horkan

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Could I get some feedback from everyone?

My mom's had a flip phone for ages. She recently told my sister that she feels embarrassed by her phone (her words, not mine). She also wants to take pictures more often. So, she's asked me to help her get a smartphone. Oh the joys of being the eldest daughter! ;)

Oh, it has to be available on Verizon - she's not looking to switch carriers.

She has never been overly tech savy. It took years for her to master the VCR [and then the DVR], but she has and she used those things every day. She is familiar with a tablet (she uses my stepdad's tablet) but she knows nothing about operating systems or how apps truly work. She doesn't even have an email address (yet).

So, the two main things she's asked for:
  1. Camera: she wants something with a good, overall camera.
  2. Easy to use: like I said before, she's not very tech savy so it needs uncomplicated.

Things I'd like to see, in addition to her requests:
  • A phone worth having for two years.
  • Good to great battery life. I don't see my mom being a power user.

I've read tons of articles and reviews and I can't narrow it down any further. I'm torn between the LG G3, Samsung Galaxy S5 & HTC One M8. I'm not including the Samsung Note 4 (or 3) because I think a stylus would be useless for her.

So...any thoughts and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :D

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Could I get some feedback from everyone?

My mom's had a flip phone for ages. She recently told my sister that she feels embarrassed by her phone (her words, not mine). She also wants to take pictures more often. So, she's asked me to help her get a smartphone. Oh the joys of being the eldest daughter! ;)

Oh, it has to be available on Verizon - she's not looking to switch carriers.

She has never been overly tech savy. It took years for her to master the VCR [and then the DVR], but she has and she used those things every day. She is familiar with a tablet (she uses my stepdad's tablet) but she knows nothing about operating systems or how apps truly work. She doesn't even have an email address (yet).

So, the two main things she's asked for:
  1. Camera: she wants something with a good, overall camera.
  2. Easy to use: like I said before, she's not very tech savy so it needs uncomplicated.

Things I'd like to see, in addition to her requests:
  • A phone worth having for two years.
  • Good to great battery life. I don't see my mom being a power user.

I've read tons of articles and reviews and I can't narrow it down any further. I'm torn between the LG G3, Samsung Galaxy S5 & HTC One M8. I'm not including the Samsung Note 4 (or 3) because I think a stylus would be useless for her.

So...any thoughts and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :D

Samsung Galaxy S5, Black Friday Special.

good luck.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
My mom was in the same boat. She called her flip phone a Dinosaur phone. I convinced her to get the S5. She's still getting used to it, but she told me that she wished she had made the choice sooner.

Posted via the Android Central App

Bianca Horkan

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up on the Best Buy stuff.

The S5 for $1 on 2-year contract and the G3 is $49 on a 2-year contract. Wow -- that makes it harder!

I actually had her in the store to play with these phones (but they didn't have the HTC One M8). She wasn't really leaning towards either one...and she wouldn't take any test pictures (yeah, I know, go figure) on them.

I'm gonna have to drag her out again to play with them some more I think.

Bianca Horkan

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like a perfect iPhone candidate, honestly.

I would say so too but daughter has Android so she can be tech support and share chargers. I always advise families to consider being on the same ecosystem.

Yeah, I would have thought that too -- but I know zero about iPhones (my stepdad doesn't even have a cell phone so he knows nothing).

Also, she has some kind of hate for Apple. I don't know how, but she said, "They cheated me once. Never again!" **shrug**

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Have you shown her the Moto X? With it's nearly stock Android experience and few software enhancements it is also a good option. You could probably find the 2013 Moto X for a great price right now.

outlooker

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Frankly I think an S5 or an M8 will be overkill for your mother. I think a slightly smaller phone like the Nexus 4 or the Moto X will be fine. Or how about an iPhone 5s? iPhones are extremely easy to operate and get used to.

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind that the s5 and the g3 both have an easy mode built into them and that may help with the learning process

Sent from my rooted Vzw LG G3 on a couch in Portland Oregon

Bianca Horkan

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Frankly I think an S5 or an M8 will be overkill for your mother. I think a slightly smaller phone like the Nexus 4 or the Moto X will be fine. Or how about an iPhone 5s? iPhones are extremely easy to operate and get used to.

My mom's not interested in an iPhone (she's not an Apple fan).

I did have her handle the G3 and the S5 in the store about a month or so ago.

She did like the buttons on the back of the G3 but that was about it. I'll be seeing her tomorrow so I'll talk to her again.

Sent from the Tapatalk app on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4.

Bianca Horkan

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, my stepdad ended up getting her the G3.

I didn't have much time to do much - just added a few phone numbers in (mostly family) and sign her up with an email address.

Guess time will tell how things go.

Thanks for all the input everyone! :D

Sent from the Tapatalk app on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4.