Nexus 9 vs 2014 Kindle Fire HDX 8.9

ronin_cse

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Currently using an iPad 4 that has a crack across one of the corners, not horrible but still enough to make me want a new tablet, and I have decided I want to go with something different this time. Since it's the holiday season it seems like the perfect time to use the upcoming gift cards and such to get a new tablet. It's early but it's never too early to start deciding :).

Anyways looking at the Nexus 9 or the Kindle Fire. I know the Kindle runs FireOS and is limited to the Amazon App store (without root) but really I use the tablet for internet, reading, and watching videos so it wouldn't be an issue.

Currently I am actually leaning towards the Kindle as it sounds like the hardware has better build quality and has a little bit better screen. Would there be any other big reasons to go towards the Nexus 9? Obviously regular Android and the Google Play Store are major reasons, although it seems like Lollipop isn't the best as far as tablets go. Thanks!

opus1269

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 9 for a couple of weeks and haven't had any of the problems people have talked about. Build quality is good and it is the perfect size for resting on one hand. It's actually quite fast, better than my Droid Turbo on the AnTuTu benchmark. I also love lollipop and all the new features work as expected. My one annoyance is no support for Miracast. Not sure what the form factor is on the Kindle, but the Nexus is 4:3 so if you watch a lot of videos you are giving up some screen real estate.

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
How often does the Kindle get os updates? Does it ever? Just curious about that I'm thinking of getting one

Posted via the Android Central App

opus1269

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
[SThere was a small update out of the box. Lollipop 5.0.1 has been released, but I haven't received it yet.][/S] Oops, misread your question.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome