cell phone question (GSM/CDMA)

knicks2014

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
I am looking into buying a phone (S5) at retail price. I want to keep my current verizon plan, but also want the flexibility of moving to a different carrier in the future if I see a better plan (perhaps atandt)

is this possible? is a S5 unlocked open to work on both GSM and CDMA carriers? or do I have to choose one carrier?

in my verizon account, it gives me the option to pay retail price for a phone, but I would have the same question, could I take that phone to a non verizon carrier in the future.

any help appreciated, basically wondering if its possible to buy a S5 at retail price, use it at verizon, and in future take it to AT&T.

thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I believe the S5 that Verizon sells is SIM-unlocked. If you're buying from some other source, be sure you're buying an unlocked phone.

knicks2014

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
Is there a retailer that sells unlocked S5 that would work on both? Im seeing disclaimers that they only work on one or the other, and the international versions seem to have bad ratings because of not picking up LTE

it seems like iphone6 plus unlocked can be utilized easily for both, but Im struggling to find a seller that doesnt have the disclaimer above for S5