Please Help! Advice Needed on Purchasing Andriod Tablet for Gift

Rainwater50

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I'm looking for to get an Android Tablet for a Christmas gift & would appreciate any help or advice.

Price range isn't high, so maybe the best budget tablet? I've researched some online & there are so many options & choices :-(.

I was initially looking at the Galaxy Tab 4 (7"), but some reviews said there are better options for the price.

I appreciate any help! Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. That tablet might not be too bad. I haven't really looked at tablets for quite some time. The only other ones I really am familiar with are the Nexus 9 and Nvidia Shield, both are probably out of the question due to price.

Rainwater50

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Golfdriver & papafrankm!

I originally chose Samsung just because it seemed to be one of the more popular tablet choices, but many of the professional reviews rank it 3 out of 5, which I suppose isn't bad, but the written reviews were very middle of the road.

It would primarily be for a casual consumer use.

That's pretty much going to be my back up choice if I don't find or here anything else.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
One man's perfect tablet (to totally murder what Lucretius probably said) is another man's horror.

I suggest a gift card to Best Buy, Amazon or some similar place, in the price range you want to give. What if the person you're buying the tablet for is just dying to upgrade to a new phone and a tablet would be nice, but nowhere as nice as that new phone? Which phone or which tablet is such a personal choice I wouldn't try to figure out which one someone else would like, unless I heard "I wish I had that ...".

Galaxy makes nice stuff (My main phone is one, so is my wife's), but I think you get more for less with a Nexus (no middle-man). And, again, that's my personal opinion. The person you're buying for may hate one, the other or both. Just one thing - don't buy some no-name tablet just because it has more features than anything in that price range. There's a reason they're cheaper - they're worth less. (Cheaper parts, worse build quality, zero [or close to it] assistance from both the manufacturer and the community ... and sometimes what they claim they have inside isn't what's inside. [So it's totally false advertising. The cost of finding the company - in China - and suing them - in China - is MANY more times what any tablet is worth. Even Samsung doesn't go after the Chinese knockoff companies that use the Samsung logo on their knockoffs. They'll win the battle, but lose the war.])

jimlloyd40

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm selling my Samsung Galaxy tab s 8.4. Just got nexus 9. Samsung has great screen though the colors are highly saturated. Fed up with TouchWiz lag and Samsung bloat. Nexus 9,no lag, true colors.

Jim Lloyd

Rainwater50

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your help! I have to admit I was thinking of one of those lower end / no names, but I'm thinking I'll go with a Samsung Tab. I couldn't find any Nexus 7 tablets. It's not on their website anymore & best buy is sold out.

I thought about the gift card idea earlier, but the person isn't a huge techie, so that card would prob go unused. I figure if I get the tablet & set it up, it's much more enticing to use.

Thanks again!

jimlloyd40

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
As I said earlier I am selling my Samsung Galaxy tab s 8.4 because I bought the Nexus 9. Having both I definitely recommend the Nexus 9. If you are set on the tab mine is only 2 months old and has the Samsung bookcover case which is very nice. Perfect condition if you're interested.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm