Does Google Safesearch even work?

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I notice with Safesearch on when I search on Google quite often I get offensive content. I searched for something like "youtube can't skip ads" clicking on the second link right away vulgarity or even worse search for "ps4 bluetooth remote" right in the search results. So I turned off the useless Safesearch and all the search results were exactly the same.

What irritates me the most is that when I search for this very topic of safesearch not working all I get is kids search engines saying it works but I tried them and the same vile links. The rest plenty of links of people actually wanting to turn safesearch off. Really pathetic. Also before you tell me to use another search engine they are all pretty much the same. Bing with the same "youtube can't skip ads" gave me the same vulgarity link with there useless safesearch on.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
What one person considers offensive, another considers boring. We won't have any intelligence in filtering until we have intelligent computers doing it. Right now, the only intelligent computer is the human brain. My cat has more intelligence than a supercomputer. Maybe in 100 years. (There are people who will find offensive material on every single website in the world, and some who won't find anything offensive, just some things they're not interested in. How is a single computer supposed to decide what you consider offensive, when that's just one set of values among more than 7 billion others? Block everything that anyone would consider offensive? That wouldn't leave many sites available. There's probably content on this forum that a few people would consider offensive, even though we're over-cautious in not even allowing discussions about something that might lead someone to an idea that could possibly be illegal. So so you get blocked from the forum because someone used a word 4 years ago that someone else considers offensive?)

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Google's worthless safe search is really ticking me off. Just search for "YouTube safe mode keeps turning on" and one of the results have the F and S word in it. Turn off the useless safe mode and the offensive link disappears.

Great article here. I found it with safe search off.
http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2014/08/youtube-safety-mode-censorship-latest-battleground-in-the-war-on-consciousness-3020092.html

Also with safe search on YouTube is blocking innocent videos from Cnet and other tech sources that are completely innocent. Yet I have to keep turning it off on the Google search or it keeps turning itself back on again on YouTube.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
My real beef is that it blocks innocent content I want to view but allows offensive content so now I will leave safe search off. Topic closed.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
My real beef is that it blocks innocent content I want to view but allows offensive content so now I will leave safe search off. Topic closed.

So what was your real beef? Why are trying to avoid profanity on the internet of all places? Who uses Google safe search really?

Posted via the Android Central App

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
If you read about safe search they claim that it is kid friendly now I know no filter is 100% as they said but it is not even 20% effective. When I had it turned off some of the offensive links actually went away. Also blocking harmless videos is the last straw.

In the meanwhile I found this extension on Firefox which lets me block certain sites from appearing in my search results. I also use to block Fixya, askmefast spam links too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000