More and more phone users are turning to Androids.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've notice that a lot of other phone users(Including myself) are turning to Android. Is it because of the over 200,000 apps, or the robustness of there devices, or maybe because android is just that darn good.

I have become a Android advocate, and with each passing day I'm learning more and more about this awesome device(htc evo).
My question is --
What make Android phones so different than any other?

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Agreed. I think one of the biggest draws is wide array and selection. Some call it fragmentation, and to an extent they may be right, but I call it freedom of choice. I'm not locked down to one carrier, one manufacturer, one skin, etc.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
One thing for me is the internet. Actually WORKS ! I liked my email and texting on my BB and BBM but that is as far as it went. I now have everything with my Incredible and it is just a better experience. I can do so much more. I need the internet now for finding a better job, etc and when not on my laptop, I can do it on my Incredible. I have Skype so those on BBM can still chat with me.

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
honestly, its the carrier choice...I think more people (for now) are in one of three groups...obviously there are more groups like "I want an android phone" and people who use phones more for work that go with BB, but for the main consumer base, id go with the following three...

1) Don't buy a smart phone
2) Want an Iphone
3) Are Carrier Loyal

But most people I talk to fit in one of those....#1 obviously apple and android wont get, #2 go with Iphone and #3 cause Android is really the only other mainstream option go with Android.

I am interested to see how Android holds up if IP4 goes to verizon.

el_ote

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I am interested to see how Android holds up if IP4 goes to verizon.

In my house, I am waiting to get my wife a verizon iphone, but i am ANXIOUSLY waiting on the Etna. I think Androids wide range of phones gives people the choice of their own unique phone on an awesome OS.

any word on the Etna?!?!?!
:cool::cool:

deblyn

Dec 15, 2010
www.girlsbestfriends.com
ANDROID vs. .... ?!

I know for me, it was a myriad of issues. First of all, I was one of the first cellphone users.... bought a phone and service right after they came out. So, you gotta know, I like gadgets. To an extent. I currently have about (4) old phones that I haven't gotten rid of yet for one reason or another.

In all this time, I was really looking for a truly portable cellphone/tiny laptop/music player/tv player ... i.e., I wanted a portable gadget! The Android fills that bill perfectly; to a "Tee"; unbelievably well. Prior to my Captivate, I had been using a Sony Ericsson W810i, pearl white, with almost all their accessories, bluetooth, and their unbelievable suite of laptop to cellphone software programs. So... I was spoiled. Then came the Android.

The EVO 4G hit me like a ton of bricks! (okay... rocks!) But, I realized that I wasn't "wowed" by the screen resolution or clarity. But everything else made me say, "Oh yeah, one of those will be mine someday", I just didn't know when because I wanted the whole package. That means, I'm not usually one to buy and try a gadget ASAP. I research, I read, I compare, I shop price, etc., etc., etc.

Then,... the Captivate hit the market. I compared, read, researched, etc., until I was tired! The big differences betwen the two were:

• Super Amoled Screen (with Gorilla Glass) vs. TFT LCD
  • Hummingbird processor vs. Qualcomm Snapdragon processor
  • AT & T had included the newer Android 2.1 O.S. vs. the 1.6
The screen on the Captivate was so vivid, so clear, especially next to the Iphone 3G or 4G, that I had to chose it, hands down. Videos on it are super clear, bright and colorful. No pauses, delays or glilches. YET.

With stats like these, everyone is going to want an Android. And we haven't even begun to talk about the apps available to assist with necessary tasks, ease of integration with many other apps/programs, especially Gmail. Or choice of USB for downloads, etc. The speed with which I get upgrades, notifications, etc.etc.etc.

What was the question? Oh, yeah... "What make Android phones so different than any other?" Nuff said! :D

(P.S. - you should also know that I used my SE W810i for almost 4 years on a month to month contract with ATT until I found another phone that I liked much better and was willing to stick it out for 2 years with!)

rsxtcy4me

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I've had my droid x. And originally I had picked it as a good alternative to the the iphone. The more that I used it I realized that it was a better phone than the iphone. Ad by now because of all the apps and web speed on wifi its just about all but replaced mu laptopfor basic websurfing and visiting forums. I think the problem with the droid os is ththat manufacturers shoe-horn it on phones that don't really have the stats to truly push the os and apps like the droid x, evo, or galaxy s series phone. And that's what will hurt the droid in the when users buy the less then stellar devices and take that as their impression of what all the devices must be like. And no news travels like bad news and they end up buying an iphone next rather than risking being burnt again. And that's what they'll suggest that there friends dothe same as well. And that more than anything will kill the android off more than anything.

ryandroid12

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone was initially so different from every other phone that it seemed amazing. After 3 years, I realized the functions, apps and media weren't changing. Android makes me want to learn more about maximizing the potential of a mobile phone. I never would have tried to unlock an iPhone or customize it. Android is friendly for people that want to learn.

gottago

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Android has been successful because:

1. A lot of people do not like Apple anything
2. A lot of people like Windows Mobile but it is dead
3. A lot of people like WebOS (Palm) but they were under capitalized
4. A lot of business people use Blackberry but with higher data speeds looming, Blackberry has an up hill climb
5. A lot of people didn't get Symbian and still don't

Bottom line... Android hit at the right time with limited and maturing competition.

As stated earlier, Android provides customization that works. Unlike WinMo that provided customization with numerous hiccups, resets, etc. And if you don't want to be bothered with flashing, rooting, and the like, out of the box Android, regardless of the manufacturer or carrier, just works.

Just my $.02.