12-15-2010 11:37 AM
- I know everyone is celebrating Android killing RIM on Verizon, but this article shows how Android has failed to save Verizon from the AT&T/iPhone juggernaut...and may end up in the same position when the iPhone arrives on Verizon. Very enlightening article.
Verizon Strikes Out in Smartphones [Updated] | asymco12-13-2010 01:07 PM
- I guess I had an account on here and didn't even recall setting it up. Anyways, I will admit I am an Apple fanboy and will defend them, but I have a comment on this post. I have used Android and I think it's a very very solid OS and does things that Apple currently has no clue how to do yet. And vice versa. My main issue is this. I can't see how Apple will take over and own the smartphone market when Android is everywhere from everyone.
My half-sister came to town this past weekend and mentioned she's on Verizon and has a POS feature phone that is on its last legs. I asked her why and she said she is waiting for the iPhone. She isn't the first person to tell me she's waiting for the Verizon iPhone.
Fragmentation is real, the quality of the Android devices range from **** poor (cliq, backflip) to excellent (Evo, Droid X). But to think that Apple isn't suffering from issues is ignorant as well. Will the iPhone push Android out of the way at Big Red? Nope, not even close. They will co-exist fine. It's the other platforms that are crapping their pants.12-13-2010 03:10 PM
- 12-13-2010 04:13 PM
- Yeah here is the thing I see. Apple had a major issue with their design of the antenna on the IPhone 4 but people are so stuck on the damn thing that they bought into the whole antennagate thing and took every word apple said about the problem like it was straight from the bible. I don't care what phone it is. If it drops calls I am going to drop it end of story. If you take a look at a majority of Iphone users they are people who want the fad device. The own an ipod and an ipad because they are the cool things to do and they are cool by owning one also. One if my friends is an opine user and is waiting the nine months till she can jump ship out of her contract and switch to an android based device. She said that the email on her iphone sucks and that the free built in google software and services makeup for not having an iphone to fit in. I think that the iphone will make a dent in verizons android sales but it wont take long for people to go wow this is garbage no way to sync my contacts like you can on android no calendar sync like android and no ability to customize what so ever and will be back to android. Just my opinion though.12-13-2010 06:09 PM
- How many people are sitting on their upgrades waiting for the I phone?? I know both my wife and daughter have been eligble for upgrades since October and won't upgrade. They are holding out hope for a January/ Feb release date. Now multiply that across the country and I bet you have a signifcantly large number of people waiting to pull the trigger.
The big joke will be that even if VZW does release it in January you probably won't have one in you hand till June due to short supplies.12-14-2010 09:55 AM
- I had numerous issues with BB. Mainly lagging and freezing up. And too much.
I had 5 replacements and it was very frustrating. Retention offered me the original Motorola Droid refurbished. I inquired about a refurb Incredible. None to be had. I don't like the MD. It is too big and chunky and just not to my liking. I decided to bite the bullet and I got the Droid Incredible. Yes, I have paid outright for it. That's how much I wanted out of my BB issues. I have had the Incredible since Dec 7th and I am very impressed with it. I am selling my Bold........the one I have they actually replaced new for me but still acted up. I don't know why. I didn't have a lot of apps on it. I sold wireless and BB was very popular when I sold it and a solid device. I liked my Bold but it was just lagging so much and freezing up. I did regular battery pulls, kept everything closed. I know what to do to keep it running well.
All behind me now. On to better things. iphone is so overrated.12-14-2010 11:53 AM
- Part of the iPhone thing for Verizon is that it's a double hitter in many cases. When I, for example, got the iPhone 3G in 2008 it was my first smart phone and I had to switch from Verizon to ATT. I had been with Verizon for nearly 14 years before switching to ATT. So, the equation hits them twice: once by losing a customer and second, when a single competitor, ATT, gets the one they lose.
I would expect Verizon to benefit from an iPhone because many of the iPhone customers will not hesitate to leave ATT behind when there is another carrier option. Android poses less of an impact because they draw customers from all carriers so it's not limited to a single carrier where the impact is much greater.
Going forward, if Apple refuses to increase the size of the iPhone it will continue to lose out to phone makers that produce a wider spectrum of phones of different sizes. In order to compete Apple will have to produce a phone with a significantly larger screen, but, at the same time, they will need to continue to sell the current sized phones. Jobs is on record for ridiculing the larger phones and when they release there larger phone I fully expect him to say they have done large the right way to get around his previous comment.
Brian12-14-2010 01:13 PM
- JohnlyRetired ModeratorGrain of salt, q3 new i phone should be a top seller, it's exclusive, while android runs wild, spread among many networks. competition is good, these things ebb and flow. Bring the app tray to verizon, pretty sure I will have a high end droid as an alternative, yippee!12-14-2010 01:36 PM
- Are we serious here?
Asymco is pretty far from being reputable. It's basically 2 guys in Helsinki whose track record has been to create "analyses" that put Android down (and frequently glorify Apple) that are then picked up and repeated by Mac zealot sites.
Let's wait for more reputable information before making judgments.12-15-2010 02:56 AM
- I switched from vzw to att for the iPhone 3G back in 2008. I had a BB Storm for a few months as my first smart phone and it nearly drove me crazy. The iPhone did many things much better than every other platform back then, but others are starting to catch up. I recently switched back to vzw via a Droid 2 for the better service and flexibility of Android. I am so far impressed and also disappointed. I still randomly jailbreak my iPhone for fun and to see if my old qualms could be reconsiled if I were to get another one on vzw. Before I switch back though, I'd like to give webos a try just to see if the OS is worth it. I get the feeling that the hardware will likely drive me nuts though, and who knows what cool advances iOS and Android will make next year. Those are my three winners, however, based on the prospects. Let's not forget that the ugly and deprecated WP7 OS will be coming to cdma in 2011 as well :-/12-15-2010 05:46 AM
- Benswoodruff I hear you I started my hole unlocking from the iphone I have said when there was only the iphone around back then iphone is the greatest but that was only because I could jailbreak it and add features I couldn't have cuz it was so plain and boring as soon as the g1 came out I thought I would never buy anything else but I learned the android lingo and have been hooked ever since I like anyone else have tried other platforms and I wanted to see what all the glits and glamour was with webos and I feel in love again but I didnt get the hang of rooting the palm pre till my second time owning one and once I did that I saw the optimus s and grab it and the pre is still sitting ready to go as my backup but I'm still waiting to dish out money for the evo today I will see if I could get it for 99 at radio shack but flat out alot of people wanna try different things and I sure am one I've switched tons of times but I've found a company that suits my budget and its got in my opinion a bunch of great phones to test out :-) well see tho anything with iphone brand stamped on it you'll see people sleeping outside for 5 days just to get in line to get one lol cuz there the newest cool thing I dont think so anymore there is so much variety now
Sent From PrittyBoy203 Using LS67012-15-2010 06:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD