What's with all this overpriced Samsung smartphones?

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Take a look at any Samsung Galaxy smartphones and compare its specs and price with any similar specced smartphones from Motorola,Asus,Xiomi, etc and you will find the Samsung models are far more expensive than than its competitors. Even HTC and Sony are guilty of this to a lesser extent. Who buys all this overpriced crap anyway? Now in America where most people buy phones on a contract its a non issue but its surprising how Samsung keeps selling millions of these overpriced turds in other countries.How the hell is Samsung at no.1 spot?Samsung is basically the Apple of Android world because people keep buying underpowered overpriced turds when far better alternatives exist but most people don't know any better yet no one calls out Samsung for it.
It would be better if people did more research rather going for whatever the salespeople tells them is the best phone.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Apple's made a fortune with overpricing their phones (everything for that matter). I love the MacBookPro, iMac and other products (all of which I own) but don't understand the love for those phones. I had the chance to spend some time with the iPhone 5 the other day...I don't understand, you can't set it up they way you want and if you're not liking an aspect of it then tough cookies...you're stuck with it. I really didn't like one part of it at all, there's no contest IMO, but obviously many are in the opposite camp judging by the quantity of them out there and the fanatical cult following.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I love the MacBookPro, iMac and other products (all of which I own) but don't understand the love for those phones. I had the chance to spend some time with the iPhone 5 the other day...I don't understand, you can't set it up they way you want and if you're not liking an aspect of it then tough cookies...you're stuck with it.

Is it so hard to fathom that some of us don't care about customizing every single pixel on the screen of our phones? I just want to open the box and use my device, I don't care about customizing it beyond the wallpaper and ringtones.

You say you love your Macs and own Macs. The iPhone works just as well as those products. That's probably why so many people love their iPhones just like you love your Macs.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
The reliability of Apple products is excellent, I didn't comment on that aspect because it's well known. Trust me, after the initial set-up on my phones I'm done, I have no interest in fiddling around.

Most of us here enjoy Android because it can be set up the way we want and run with it for a few years until the next one which is the beauty of this forum, people bring knowledge to the table to set these devices up the way we want. Those of you who don't care there's a huge market called Apple waiting for your purchase.

BTW...my Android phone has been dead on reliable for 3 years and impossible to improve on, iPhone or not.

shady28

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Samsung's pricing is strange to me, they do not look or feel like a premium phone where they compete. I always considered HTC and Sony to be the "Apple" quality hardware build within the Android world. DNA, One M7, M8, Experia Z series, all prime examples of excellent industrial design. I'd also give props to Motorola - their flagship phones are excellent build quality as well (their lower end phones have cheap build, but priced accordingly).

I think Samsung is just riding on popularity of their brand - something that seems to be waning. Spec-wise sure they are good, but there's a lot more than specs to a phone.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
The thing is, IMO, people are 'sheep' when it comes to iPhones... Everyone has one so they feel they need to join 'everyone' too!

I agree that Samsungs' prices can be a bit OTT when new but wait a month or 2 and the prices soon drop!

But like me, people love Samsung mobiles, like some people love Motorola, Sony, Nokia etc... People will always buy what they know best. It may be crap to you but to other people it'll be unbeatable!

I was lucky, I got a Note 4 on an upgrade as soon as they were out and made big £££ when I sold it but I've just sold an iPhone 6 Plus, literally 2 months old and really as new as it'd never left my house, and lost £150 on its price I paid for it!

I've just bought a Note 3 however, again in immaculate condition for £200 with 4 genuine Samsung cases and a tempered glass screen protector, unused!

Moral is, prices drop very quickly with ALL mobile phones!

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Samsung's pricing is strange to me, they do not look or feel like a premium phone where they compete. I always considered HTC and Sony to be the "Apple" quality hardware build within the Android world. DNA, One M7, M8, Experia Z series, all prime examples of excellent industrial design. I'd also give props to Motorola - their flagship phones are excellent build quality as well (their lower end phones have cheap build, but priced accordingly).

I think Samsung is just riding on popularity of their brand - something that seems to be waning. Spec-wise sure they are good, but there's a lot more than specs to a phone.

Apple is riding on the popularity of their brand, so your point is what?

Posted via the Galaxy Note 4

Palladium87

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Because they are delusional, and still think their branding is as good as Apple and they are still outspeccing the Android competition to justify their price like in the S2/S3 days even when their financials and the general smartphone market has already spoken otherwise.

My Note 3 standby battery life is just atrociously bad; what good is a 3100mah battery, 1080p, S800 CPU if the POS Touchiwz/bloatware can simply randomly wakelock to drain the battery for no good reason. My Xiaomi Redmi Note at 1/4 the price is so much better in the software and the battery department that is it by far the better phone for day to day use....Won't be fooled again by Samsung.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Because they are delusional, and still think their branding is as good as Apple and they are still outspeccing the Android competition to justify their price like in the S2/S3 days even when their financials and the general smartphone market has already spoken otherwise.

My Note 3 standby battery life is just atrociously bad; what good is a 3100mah battery, 1080p, S800 CPU if the POS Touchiwz/bloatware can simply randomly wakelock to drain the battery for no good reason. My Xiaomi Redmi Note at 1/4 the price is so much better in the software and the battery department that is it by far the better phone for day to day use....Won't be fooled again by Samsung.

Which carrier do you use?

CBreen28

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
The Note 4 is the best smartphone on the market and it's not even close. Expensive, yes but so are BMW's. Quite frankly you talk about "doing your research instead of what a sales person tells you" and I think you sound like an *****. The Note 4 has the best display out right now, one of the best processors and gpu's, an excellent camera with OIS, 4K video recording, multi-tasking, removable battery, all of the S-pen features, heart rate monitor, finger print scanner and it's water-resistant so when you call it "crap" just shows you're very ignorant on the matter.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
The Note 4 is the best smartphone on the market and it's not even close. Expensive, yes but so are BMW's. Quite frankly you talk about "doing your research instead of what a sales person tells you" and I think you sound like an *****. The Note 4 has the best display out right now, one of the best processors and gpu's, an excellent camera with OIS, 4K video recording, multi-tasking, removable battery, all of the S-pen features, heart rate monitor, finger print scanner and it's water-resistant so I'm not sure why you call it "crap" ?

Too big, I wouldn't even consider it.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Nothing wrong with a hater, Samsung has put plenty out there for some to dislike. I've been a fan but I'm chucking it in now.

Palladium87

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Nothing wrong with a hater, Samsung has put plenty out there for some to dislike. I've been a fan but I'm chucking it in now.

If they don't want haters, then don't put out lousy specs/price phones that consist 90% of the lineup or put garbage software that ruins the experience of even the high-end handsets. If people like me are burned by buying high end Samsung you think we are going to consider them again in the sea of worthy competitors?

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Samsung phones traditionally have way more features than other Android phones, which justify their cost. For example, the AMOLED screen was a feature associated with Samsung. Removable batteries, expandable storage - once again, Samsung. Huge oversized screens - Samsung started the phablet revolution. Stylus - I can't think of a single other phone with a stylus.

Then you have other features like an IR blaster, fingerprint scanner, heart rate monitor, etc.

Damn, now I want to buy a Note 4 lmao.

Whereas the iPhone has none of these, it's simply overpriced.

John Kar

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Japan (ESPECIALLY JAPAN), China (ESPECIALLY CHINA), US and EU devaluating their currencies through QE to gain an edge in exports.

Seriously. Japan's GDP Per Capita dropped from ~$45,000 to $36,000 and it's expected to drop even further down to $33,000 this year. How any Japanese person can support such currency devaluations and lower income just so their precious industries can make a bit more profit is beyond me.
I dunno, maybe the people in the east care more about "being in the spotlight" and "having pride by having successful companies" than their own quality of living.

Getting real tired of companies crying how they're only going to make $5 billion in profits this year and lobby for currency devaluations to screw everyone else over just so they can get a few billions more in profits per year.

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi All I hope it is not to late to post something on this as I just saw it and wanted to add my input. I had an iPhone 4 which was a good phone that I got as a Christmas present my mom. I used it for a long time until it started getting slower and when I had some extra money upgraded to an iPhone 5s. After a year and a half with an iPhone I decided that I wanted something different so I went and got a cheap Samsung Galaxy s3. In comparison this phone does so many more things and is a lot cooler to use than iPhones used to be. IPhone does have great build quality and would probably last forever but the lack of customization and removable battery we're starting to get to me. I am glad I switched and yes I have noticed the Samsung devices are expensive especially the new ones as long as you do not get them used like I did. They are perhaps one of the most expensive Android brands out there but they do deliver and great product. I have had very few complaints with this phone and it is not even a new Samsung phone. It is in like new condition and I love it. Samsung devices are known for their features and to be a long lasting product. when and if I get another phone I am Not sure what I will get it may be a Samsung and it may not. a lot of the phones I have seen in this store I do not really like for one reason or another. the LG when I was looking at and the wrong button on the back which really annoyed me I think that is the craziest design ever. some phones look good and some just do not. I will pay money for a phone that I want as long as it is good. However I am NOT royal to Samsung I almost do you want to try a different brand and compare the differences. Also I would like to add that I have an iPad Mini which I also enjoy using as it is top quality as far as build and other things. Apple also have a couple of nice features such as face time that I'd like to take advantage of. I really like having those platforms but just so Apple does not really work on a phone. This is me and everyone is different and they should get what they like.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay