What is your phone/tablet buying process?

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I would like to know how do you go about deciding which phone/tablet to buy?
I first get the itch.Then i decide my budget and what specs and features i am looking for. Then i shortlist whatever phones fit in that budget and specs. Then i read lots of critic and user reviews online and shortlist 2-3 phones that are getting the most positive reception. And finally i choose one that i personally feel is the best among those depending on a number of factors like brand reputation, after sales service, software upgrade plans and of course the price.
Once a phone has been decided, then its onto which place is offering the best price/offers on the phone and its accessories.The whole process could take anywhere between a week to a month depending on my patience,possibility of price drop,possible refresh model of the phone launching soon, etc.
I don't buy phones based on marketing and advertising and other such baits.
How do you go about buying a new phone/tablet?

Last edited:

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I would say the exact same as you :) I have a 2 year rolling contact with my provider, so every two years I get an upgrade (like most ppl) but I can't keep a phone for 2 years so every other year I buy a phone outright. For example I was due an upgrade in Oct 2014 so I got my Note 4. Then round about Aug / Sept this year I will look for a new phone to see me through the rest of 2015 / 2016 until I am due another upgrade.

Looking back on all the phones I've owned since 2010 I would have to say that Samsung have had the majority of my money - from the Note 2, 3 & 4 and the S4 & S5. I've had a go on the M7 and M8 and loved their design, but something always seems to pull me back to Touchwiz, which is confusing as the Note 4's touchwiz version is the only one I've liked lol.

I just recently found out I'm going to be a Dad in 6 months time, so buying phones for my own craving will have to stop. I'll need to pick a phone, keep it for two years then upgrade it when the time is right. It's easier said than done though :)

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I would say the exact same as you :) I have a 2 year rolling contact with my provider, so every two years I get an upgrade (like most ppl) but I can't keep a phone for 2 years so every other year I buy a phone outright. For example I was due an upgrade in Oct 2014 so I got my Note 4. Then round about Aug / Sept this year I will look for a new phone to see me through the rest of 2015 / 2016 until I am due another upgrade.

Looking back on all the phones I've owned since 2010 I would have to say that Samsung have had the majority of my money - from the Note 2, 3 & 4 and the S4 & S5. I've had a go on the M7 and M8 and loved their design, but something always seems to pull me back to Touchwiz, which is confusing as the Note 4's touchwiz version is the only one I've liked lol.

I just recently found out I'm going to be a Dad in 6 months time, so buying phones for my own craving will have to stop. I'll need to pick a phone, keep it for two years then upgrade it when the time is right. It's easier said than done though :)
Yeah i get the itch to upgrade every year as well.But i sell off my older phone which funds the new phone so its never too expensive.
Also congrats on soon becoming a dad!

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah i get the itch to upgrade every year as well.But i sell off my older phone which funds the new phone so its never too expensive.
Also congrats on soon becoming a dad!

Thanks for the congrats mate :) yeah that sounds like a good idea, selling my older phone to fund it - usually I have a family member who wants the phone first though :)

CBreen28

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I do a LOT of research before buying anything. Which includes Android Central, Youtube reviews, BestBuy.com reviews, Amazon.com reviews, all of the tech sites then even going into Best Buy to try out the device (Tab S, Note 4).

I picked out the Note 4 easily tbh but the Tab S was a pain in the @ss because I couldn't pick a size, then when I finally did I couldn't decided between the cheaper Tab Pro ot the Tab S with the AMOLED screen. I actually lost sleep over it, no lie. I know that's ridiculous but it's true. I think I went into BB like 5 times to play with the tabs. So yeah I'm really picky but never have buyer's remorse!

Posted via the Android Central App

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Congrats on becoming a dad soon!!! .....it's a life changer for sure 'and' a budget buster!

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I do a LOT of research before buying anything. Which includes Android Central, Youtube reviews, BestBuy.com reviews, Amazon.com reviews, all of the tech sites then even going into Best Buy to try out the device (Tab S, Note 4).

I picked out the Note 4 easily tbh but the Tab S was a pain in the @ss because I couldn't pick a size, then when I finally did I couldn't decided between the cheaper Tab Pro ot the Tab S with the AMOLED screen. I actually lost sleep over it, no lie. I know that's ridiculous but it's true. I think I went into BB like 5 times to play with the tabs. So yeah I'm really picky but never have buyer's remorse!

Posted via the Android Central App
This is me Exactly, except, the Tablet I want/DON'T NEED (Samsung Note 10.1 2014) just isn't in the finances right now. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol