WSJ Article: Kill the Wireless Contract

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
"It’s now surprisingly easy to live a fruitful mobile life, free of carrier contracts, thanks to unlocked phones. With one, you aren’t bound to a carrier. You could switch from, say, AT&T to T-Mobile or Cricket Wireless, or even to Vodafone when you take that vacation to the Greek Isles. It’s actually how most of the world buys mobile phones."
Kill the Wireless Contract! Buy Your Own Phone - WSJ

Interesting article.

daehttub

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I am very happy with my carrier and am grandfathered into an unlimited everything plan for dirt cheap. The somewhat limited 4G LTE coverage area fortunately doesn't fall outside my business and personal travels. I like getting a heavily discounted phone every few years as the unlocked price of the Samsung Galaxy Notes are hitting midrange laptop territory. I don't think I could save +$500 swapping carriers over two years and I'd rather go to the dentist than a verizon/at&t/sprint/t-mobile/etc phone store. I also like the comfort of having a phone replacement plan in case I do something stupid with my phone. I don't know how European phone plans work across countries but I suspect they might not have the geographical coverage a US plan has given the many smaller country and regulatory borders regardless of EU integration.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I never understood the ditch the contract mentality. I have been with att for years, I plan on being with them for many more. If I needed to leave them for some reason that's my fault then I need to fess up and pay an etf. If it's their fault the waive the etf.