Google's dislike of SD card support in Android is unfounded...

SolidSonicTH

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse but I feel like I have to object to Google's pushback against external storage.

In a perfect world, yes, a big block of homogeneous internal storage would be great. But the reality is that with apps getting larger and larger (particularly games but also simply the fact all of us find use for an increasing number of applications on our devices in general) we burn through internal storage faster with each passing year. Is it really so unreasonable for thr more savvy among us to want to find more space for our stuff? And this isn't even getting into non-app data that can be taxing on internal storage (like HD movies) that must coexist with our bloated apps.

What's worse is I'm seeing way too many game developers not flag their huge apps for SD card support or only let you move the smallest part of the app to the SD, leaving the bulky OBB directory to fill up your internal storage without recourse. Unless device manufacturers are willing to make 64GB devices for people at any price point in the very near future (and let's face it: they ain't), there will always be a place for large capacity external storage (and apps that can let you use that storage however you please but that's a rant for another time). Google saying they believe users want a single pool of storage is noble but ultimately is just an ideal scenario, it doesn't reflect the reality of how people use and consume the space on their devices.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Pre KK sure, but in KK and in LP they made it easier for developers to allow this storage and for OEM's to implement secure utilization of that feature. There are four objections to microSD that must be taken into account and weighed against the benefits: 1. Security 2. Speed 3. Service (failing equipment) 4. This is licensed tech and in most cases a fee is paid per device to Microsoft (in 2011 this was approx $5 and included some other license utilization). Google has done what they can to address the first and by far most important issue, security and hands off to the OEM's at that point. The Speed and Service are not fixable, so there's nothing they can do there - in my opinion both of these are deal breakers even if Security is solved, but some people want to make that compromise. The 4th is the OEM's problem, not Google's, so up to the OEM on that front.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I gave up on SD cards myself when 2 different ones became corrupted (SanDisk and a PNY). Luckily, I was able to recover the cards, but after that, I am passing on them.

trsbbs

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
The M9 had SD card support and that is one key reason I bought it and not a S6.
Security is not a concern as I keep nothing sensitive on it but music and images.

Via my HTC One M9...

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The M9 had SD card support and that is one key reason I bought it and not a S6.
Security is not a concern as I keep nothing sensitive on it but music and images.

Via my HTC One M9...

How do you like the M9? I may get it later this year.

Posted via the Android Central App

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting a G3 when they come down more in price. What with OS system updates, I am more for SD cards than I was before.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
For me the S6/Edge was a welcome sight, it offered me 128GB of internal storage and that is what I wanted and what drew me back to iOS annually only to return to Android after 3 months of iOS it just doesn't live up to what Android offers other than internal storage which Samsung resolved, hopefully they don't back peddle.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have no need for SD cards either. Over the years, I've had 4 go south on me, one time I lost an entire vacation's worth of pictures when it went on the final day (this was pre-smartphone, no cloud backup). I had one go bad in a S3 I had, vowed never again to bother with them.

Kylbit

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Why don't you get one of these "SanDisk Ultra 64GB USB 3.0 OTG Flash Drive With micro USB connector For Android Mobile Devices"?