do we actually need octa core cpu on an android phone

gfederline9

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site

what octa core can gives you ?
what octa core gives you that a dual core can't ?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you used a dual core phone recently, compared to an octa-core? Running today's apps and services on a dual core device is generally going to be slower and more inefficient than on an octa- or quad-core device.

In addition, if you have more cores, one of those can be a low-energy core that can be on all the time to do things like listen for your voice.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

what octa core can gives you ?
what octa core gives you that a dual core can't ?

With phone displays getting larger and more dense, apps and games getting larger and more graphically intense, yes, we need Octa Core, BUT, not for what you think, not for power but for efficiency. Octa Core means 4 low power cores and 4 high power, the phone does not run all 8 unless it has to, majority of the time it uses the low power cores and maybe 1 or 2 high power now and then, which keeps battery performance good and the phone at a low temperature (theoretically).

Its all a matter of a fine balance between good performance, low thermals and low battery consumption. If we had a Quad core with the power of e.g. a Snapdragon 810, the Quad core would have to run at higher clockspeeds, require more energy per core and heat up faster.

Hope that helps.

gfederline9

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Have you used a dual core phone recently, compared to an octa-core? Running today's apps and services on a dual core device is generally going to be slower and more inefficient than on an octa- or quad-core device.

In addition, if you have more cores, one of those can be a low-energy core that can be on all the time to do things like listen for your voice.

Tsepz_GP
With phone displays getting larger and more dense, apps and games getting larger and more graphically intense, yes, we need Octa Core, BUT, not for what you think, not for power but for efficiency. Octa Core means 4 low power cores and 4 high power, the phone does not run all 8 unless it has to, majority of the time it uses the low power cores and maybe 1 or 2 high power now and then, which keeps battery performance good and the phone at a low temperature (theoretically).

Its all a matter of a fine balance between good performance, low thermals and low battery consumption. If we had a Quad core with the power of e.g. a Snapdragon 810, the Quad core would have to run at higher clockspeeds, require more energy per core and heat up faster.

---------------------------------
please give me some example of octa core android phone
is there some cheap price octa core phone ? i would like to buy 1 and have a try , i m using iPhone 5s ,and have tried 6 plus a lot in apple store ,
i have also tried note 4 and s6 , and s6 edge in samsung store ,

i would like to buy a cheap price octa core android phone , see how " better " performance it gives me over the dual core iPhone 5s

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Tsepz_GP

---------------------------------
please give me some example of octa core android phone
is there some cheap price octa core phone ? i would like to buy 1 and have a try , i m using iPhone 5s ,and have tried 6 plus a lot in apple store ,
i have also tried note 4 and s6 , and s6 edge in samsung store ,

i would like to buy a cheap price octa core android phone , see how " better " performance it gives me over the dual core iPhone 5s

Huawei Mate 7 is a well priced Octa Core, it uses 8 low power cores yet performs well and has great battery life:
Huawei Ascend Mate7 - Full phone specifications

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Octo-Core phones have a real purpose, sort of what some carmakers have done with bigger engines where some cylinders are not in use when its just simple city traffic for better fuel economy and all cylinders when they are doing highway or heavy work. You use the smaller lower power consuming cores for simple tasks like email, web, IM, phone calls and the bigger cores for games, heavy graphics, maybe even video. They serve a purpose, and fortunately each OEM offers you that choice, unlike apple's one tool a year to make you think its perfect while they string you along until next year.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Current things that will benefit from Octa core along with 3+GB RAM: Heavy duty recent games, and phones that are heavily themed with massive Zooper/KLWP setups

Thalestr

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Phones are going through the mega-pixel race and "MAOR COREZ" race which the rest of the electronics industry stopped going through years ago.

It proved to not be necessary on computers and the same will end up happening here.

Posted via the Android Central App

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Phones are going through the mega-pixel race and "MAOR COREZ" race which the rest of the electronics industry stopped going through years ago.

It proved to not be necessary on computers and the same will end up happening here.

Totally disagree, we went through that up until 2013, manufacturers no longer advertise CPU cores. Hexa and Octa Core is where it has ended. If cores were such a big deal the Note 4 would be Exynos globally, but it isn't, majority are Quad core.

Octa Core is mainly to balance out power, efficiency and thermals.

gfederline9

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Totally disagree, we went through that up until 2013, manufacturers no longer advertise CPU cores. Hexa and Octa Core is where it has ended. If cores were such a big deal the Note 4 would be Exynos globally, but it isn't, majority are Quad core.

Octa Core is mainly to balance out power, efficiency and thermals.

most octa core phone only use 4 core at one time and the other 4 core use when extra or special works is needed ,

IS THERE A OCTA CORE PHONE THAT really use all 8 core at the same time , instead of divide it into 4 and 4 cores ?

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
most octa core phone only use 4 core at one time and the other 4 core use when extra or special works is needed ,

IS THERE A OCTA CORE PHONE THAT really use all 8 core at the same time , instead of divide it into 4 and 4 cores ?

No, most Octa Cores adjust themselves to power requirements and heat being generated, they can run 5 cores (1 high power, 4 low power) sometimes, other times they run just 2 low power cores, other times its 4 of the low power cores, other times its 4 of the high power cores etc etc... The configuration is always changing, its all down to what is being done, if need be the Octa Core can bring all 8 cores online if that much power is required, but that is very rare.

joebloggs13

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I think the cores are more about power management/distribution in the hopes of improving powered consumption and ultimately longer battery life.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You could have asked this questions for PCs when they came out .. Do we need them? Possible not now (except for games) but .. eventually yes there are things that will take advantage.

Let me put it this way ... I would rather have it and not use then not have it. Why? Because someone will make it useful eventually .. So I would rather see technology progress rather than sit idle being "content" where it is at :).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci