Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Have you experienced the "SMS Bug"?

Voters
413. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

110 26.63%
  • No

269 65.13%
  • Maybe -- something weird has happened (explain in the comments, please)

22 5.33%
  • It doesn't exist, user error FTW

12 2.91%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

I work tech support for a carrier, and I can confirm I have seen this issue on customers' phones.
    They will tell me that they compose a text, and then verify it is the correct person, and then hit send, and in their outbox it has gone to the wrong person. They can see in the outbox who it has been sent to. There is no rhyme or reason, in one case, a customer sent a sms to his mom and it went to his brother. Then he tried again and it went to the correct recipient. Then once again it went to another person entirely.
    Doing a nuke and repave on the phone and reloading the contacts did make it stop, it seems, but since I haven't done a followup, for all I know it could have started happening again.

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

I voted yes, though maybe I should have voted maybe. I've had the issue on both a stock Droid and Cyanogen (I think) where you click on one thread and it brings up another thread.
    Last edited by jeff275; 01-03-2011 at 08:58 AM.

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts
    ROM
    MMuzzy 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by FractalSphere View Post
    OK what happens for me very specific...

I will select a thread in SMS to respond to, and sometimes the phone (I have an HTC EVO running baked snack 1.8 with the stock SMS app) will select a DIFFERENT thread, and if I do not notice, then I will have typed out a message and it goes to the wrong recipient.

If, however, I DO notice which thread is brought up (about 1 in 10 misses, and it's not just fat fingers, it's a thread from MUCH lower down in the list, not next to the one I intended to select) and I bring up the correct one, it sends to the intended recipient correctly.

Hope this helps.

YES - this exactly.
    Same here, I have had this issue for a few months now, it's never a thread above our below the one I selected, it's always one nowhere close, so that eliminates user error which is what I thought it was the first few times it happened.

I made a thread about this in the evo section and someone posted that when it happens to them it always selects the thread displayed at the bottom of the screen(not the bottom of the list). I'll have to look out for this the next time I see it. It's not something I can recreate, it happens sporadically with seemingly no rhyme or reason.

I've only had this happen in sense ROMs, never seen it in AOSP ROMs, but the majority of the time I've had my evo, it's been on a sense ROM, so that may be the case for that.

Sent from my EVO on tapatalk PRO
    icu

Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 11/Tinykernel

Quote Originally Posted by Slashdpc View Post
    Can one of the responses be "What SMS bug? I use Google Voice" because that's my answer.
    this
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

No bugs here...that's why I use handcent :-)

It may have happened to me once, but I think I might have just been drunk.

I put maybe in polls cuz they even try text me but i never got it or I send pix to any of my friend and they get it and not show any pix from my EVO

I use Stock evo message... I try SMS apps but eat my battery as i notice

I deal with this bug at least once a day every day, and i feel that it mostly comes when i am sending and replying to a lot of texts really quickly, as in multiple conversations replying hitting the back button and clicking on the next one to reply and repeat about 4-5 times all in a row. And i will catch it every once and a while where i am opening up different contacts then the one i selected and sometimes just random contacts from the bottom of the list, its annoying and has caused problems for me but now i make sure to double check almost every time before sending.

How many phones actually use the stock android txt app?

The manufacturers seem to add so much on top of the stock Android experience. Does Motorola use it with Blur, or is it some sort of Motorola txt app?

Does HTC use the stock android app, or is it some sort of modified Sense version?

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Never had the problem so far. I am with Telus. My friends so far has not experience any problems as of yet.
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,033 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

I use chomp, but when I opened all the messages in the stock app for the heck of it, they all had 1/1/69 instead of 1/1/11. When I deleted a few from the stock app, they all changed to the correct date.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

I have never had an SMS message go to the wrong person, but ever since I got my Droid X, a small percentage of my texts have arrived scrambled to the desired recipient.
    Custom User Title

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

My wife has seen it and complained a few weeks ago about it. She selects a person to send a SMS to by click their name in the drop down SMS, but it prefills the completely wrong person. Not even a similar name. She said she has to be very careful about before hitting "send" to make sure the correct name is in the "to" box. She uses the stock app. I use Handcent. I have never had the issue.
    Please use the Thanks button below and to the right.

I've had text that appear to come in the future, which screws up my timeline for texts.

HTC EVO - stock ROM (always has been). I select one person's text and it brings up someone else's text msg It has happened at various times to both me and my father who has the same phone/rom. Also, at times, I have started typing a text msg and the send button will be grayed out. I have to start typing a brand new text message in order to send it.

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean!

I didn't vote yet because idk exactly what the "bug" is. Many people here have the same problem i'm having. I go to select a contact in the messaging app and some random contact at the bottom of the list shows up. Is that the "bug"?

I always recognize it because I look at the picture. But never sent a message to the wrong person. But the scary part about it is it always brings up my mom's thread when I'm texting several girls. I would be SCREWED if one of those messages went to my mom. But now I always delete my mom's thread to avoid this.

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

just got bugged on my incredible. using skyraider sense, kingklick kernel and handcent. only happened one time, and a reboot has seemed to fix it. I was texting with person A and person B sent me a message. The next two texts intended for person A went to person B, but handcent showed both messages going to person A until person B sent me a new message, and then it refreshed (of course the response from person B was 'WTF??' lol). it seemed to fix it self after that, but like i said i rebooted for safe measure and it seems to be good so far. hope they get this fixed sooner than later!

Quote Originally Posted by Andr3w View Post
    I didn't vote yet because idk exactly what the "bug" is. Many people here have the same problem i'm having. I go to select a contact in the messaging app and some random contact at the bottom of the list shows up. Is that the "bug"?

I always recognize it because I look at the picture. But never sent a message to the wrong person. But the scary part about it is it always brings up my mom's thread when I'm texting several girls. I would be SCREWED if one of those messages went to my mom. But now I always delete my mom's thread to avoid this.
    i too am curious if this is what is meant by the bug as this happens to me quite often when im texting multiple people at once i usually catch it but one time i didnt and i saw that i sent the text to the wrong person according to my phone and immediately responded saying oops wrong person and that person claimed they never got the original text that i sent..

As far as I know, none of my messages have ever gone to the wrong person, but all of my messages did disappear on me the other day out of the blue. Can't get 'em back either.

ROM
    z4root lol

happened on my droid 2 stock enough to remember, mostly during high speed text sessions

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It only happens to me with people with close names to each other. Like I wanted to send a text to "Max" but it sends to "Matt"

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.0.3 (IML74K)

I've owned 3 different android devices and to my knowledge, I've never experienced the problem, although to be fair, I don't send many sms messages.

ROM
    CM10

Hear that it happens if you get something sent to you via email (as in, sent to the email that your phone uses for SMS/MMS, not to your gmail accounts). Which is nice for me, as I have an email set up so international people can text me in an emergency and I've had to disable it.

ROM
    nROM v 1.3.3

i voted no. All i do really is text. i dont make many calls on my phone. (thank god for swype!) anyways i have never seen the bug. I use handcent btw.

Global Posts
    2,909 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom 5.5

Incredible for 7 months, wife still has it. Droid Pro for me since release. Haven't seen a single SMS bug on either device. If this is real, it's inexcusable.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast